You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XPlane vs. P3D and Windows 10

Garry Morrison 897149

Garry Morrison 897149
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can someone please answer some of my concerns:

I am contemplating going to either P3D or XPlane.11, and I will like your input to a few of my concerns:

Which one performs better with Windows 10, P3d or XPlane.11?

Which one has the best graphics, commercial airliners (included and addons), P3D or XPlane.11?

Which one would you recommend, P3D or XPlane.11?

I will really appreciate your input to help me in my decision.

Edited by Guest

Garry Morrison / AAL411

Miami Hub

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted
Can someone please answer some of my concerns:

I am contemplating going to either P3D or XPlane.11, and I will like your input to a few of my concerns:

Which one performs better with Windows 10, P3d or XPlane.11?

Which one has the best graphics, commercial airliners (included and addons), P3D or XPlane.11?

Which one would you recommend, P3D or XPlane.11?

I will really appreciate your input to help me in my decision.

1. As they are both 64-bit, they both perform well in Windows 10.

2. P3D currently seems to have more commercial aircraft available than XPL.

3. I prefer P3D, but this is bias as I have been flying the Microsoft platform since FS9. I have tried XPL, but prefer P3D.

Regards,

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Garry,

I jumped right from FS9 to XP11 (only recently!). I skipped FSX and P3D.

I am really happy with XP11 - it has a very well functioning community that is producing nice freeware sceneries, aircraft and other addons. For starters, XP11 does come with a comprehensive set of scenery for the entire world. I do not feel that I have to add payware landcl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es or replacement textures. If you wish to "improve" the looks, there are some freeware options that look really nice.

Aircraft: there is a freeware Boeing 737-800NG that is being developed and updated on a regular basis. I have been using it since day 1 and for the time being I do perform all my flights with that aircraft: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/384-zibo-b738-800-modified/

If you wish to fly something else, there are now some good payware aircraft available, B777, A320 etc.. From what you can read on the forums, people are rather happy with them.

What kind of computer do you have? XP11 and P3D are quite power-hungry and even with the latest and most expensive hardware you won't be able to select all options to full or you'll get a nice slow-motion SIM! With a bit of tweaking 20+ fps are possible, though.

I'd say: if it is NOT a question of money for you, go and buy XP11, test it. If you like it, good! If not, try P3D.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

The one thing holding me back from switching to X-Plane is that many medium and small airports are not accurately laid out. They usually have correct runways but very often the taxiway layout is either "guessed" (i.e. a generic parallel taxiway with several connectors is just slapped in, regardless of what's actually present in reality) or non-existent.

Most of the more major commercial airports have been rendered more-or-less accurately.

But given that I fly a lot of General Aviation exclusively in an online, multiplayer environment -- not seeing anything even closely resembling what others are seeing on the ground is, to me, a substantial limitation.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Garry Morrison 897149
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the input.

Yesterday I actually purchased XPL-11 and I am dabbling with it.

I am trying to learn where everything is and how to use it.

Even though I have been using FS9 and FSX for years, it’s still

challenging When changing from one platform to another.

Garry Morrison / AAL411

Miami Hub

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Indeed X-Plane is, in some parts, fundamentally different from MSFS when it comes to menus and options. Just be open to something different and try to embrace it. That's how I am doing it at the moment.

If you don't like the default setup of airports, go and check out the file database of X-Plane for addons. In the beginning it will be a bit tiresome, because you will have to install a number of object libraries, but once this is this done, you'll sail through the installation process of most freeware addon sceneries.

Sceneries: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/topscenes/

Most common scenery object libraries: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/82579-error-loading-the-scenery-package-forestfacadebeach-errors-download-these-commonly-used-scenery-libraries/

Garry Morrison 897149
Posted
Posted

Thank you Andreas for the encouragement.

I just installed Xsquawkbox and Navigraph.

Will explore the file data base for the airports addons.

Garry Morrison / AAL411

Miami Hub