You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Discussion: If you could change one thing about VATSIM...

Matthew Bartels

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

RSJiY9w.jpg

Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening everyone.

As many are aware, for the first time in a while, the VATSIM Board of Governors is completely staffed! We have a great team [Mod - Happy Thoughts]embled and are looking to improve VATSIM for all members as well as find ways to ensure that VATSIM is the premier online flight simulation network in the world for years to come. We have some ideas, but our ultimate goal is to make the network one that you enjoy and want to participate in.

We can not do this without your input! So in the spirit of improving VATSIM and providing some constructive criticism the Board of Governors wants you to honestly answer this question.

If you could change or improve one thing about VATSIM, what would it be?

When providing your answer to the question please refrain from criticisms of individual members, this is not the place for individual attacks, nor is it constructive. Identify what you see as an area where the network can be improved as a whole. Please remain within the spirit of the question and limit your response to the ONE issue that is at the top of your list.

This is your chance to tell the BoG exactly how you feel and you have our ear. The BoG will be watching this thread with great interest and will be using it as part of developing our strategy for the future of VATSIM!

We look forward to participating in this discussion with you!

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

• Andreas Fuchs

• Johnny Coughlan

• Sean Harrison

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez 15 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 9 posts

• Johnny Coughlan

Johnny Coughlan 9 posts

• Sean Harrison

Sean Harrison 9 posts

Popular Days

• Jun 18 2018

46 posts

• Jun 19 2018

26 posts

• Jun 22 2018

15 posts

• Jul 21 2018

10 posts

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

A lack of pilot standards. We don't need anything crazy, just a "please be able to fly your plane and follow basic ATC direction" type standard.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Lorenz Vermeere
Posted
Posted

A new voice codec and better voice delay would be beautiful. I would also like to see some sort of an entry exam for new pilots, that tests their basic knowledge about procedures, navigation, ... Just to increase the quality of the network even more!

Claire Barton 1072708
Posted
Posted

Voice serves

Tim Peter
Posted
Posted

Improve the pilot client situation and get a new voice codec.

One client for all the different Sims with an updated and maintained AI library plus better voice capabilities.

Keep pushing on the tech! Don`t stand still.

(Maybe merge with POSCON?)

Ben Childs
Posted
Posted

Voice codec. If POSCON's demo at FSExpo is anything to go by, VATSIM is soon going to be left for dead on this and many other fronts.

Marek Molicki 1389435
Posted
Posted

Mandatory type ratings for pilots.

Liesel Downes
Posted
Posted

Definitely the server infrastructure and design of some key elements,the flight plan filing page for example (its horrible)

Liesel Downes
she/her/hers

Mathieu Souphy
Posted
Posted

Enhancing coverage so that every continent (or at least 2 or 3 adjacent timezones) are fully online at least once a week during the most popular day and time for that region. For instance, all of Europe (= ALL countries) online every Friday evening.

Jon Ferry 1366135
Posted
Posted

The standard of piloting is dreadful. Tried taking off out of Heathrow yesterday and someone about to land on me and with various people taking off on the wrong runways. I would like a pilot test when you create a VATSIM account, just like the one that BAv has because it seems that some users can't even fly an aircraft.

Furthermore where is the voice codec?

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted

1) Don't make pilots make test because it will hold them back from joining. Instead, give controllers the ability to "rate" bad pilots, if they have no clue of what they're doing, and thus get rated by different controllers, THEN make them do a test.

2) Have a more even balance over traffic across America & Europe. There are a few airports that hat always have a lot of traffic, even without ATC, and there are with none, although ATC is online.

3) Encourage pilots to fly to/from airports with ATC, it's a vicious circle: Pilots don't fly to certain airports because there is no ATC and ATC doesn't get online because no one flies there. This makes the already busier airports even more busy and the less popular even less known. (with reference to "2)". Ultimately 20% of the airports will have 80% of the traffic, if that isn't already the case...

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok

Dragoljub Blagojevic
Posted
Posted

(I agree on the horrible voice software so I will input something a little different)

To me, flying on vatsim is currently pretty meaningless without an event-based logging software which IVAO represents. This has led to me controlling on VATSIM a lot more than flying - the flying part I do on IVAO on which I can log my hours, get medals and everything that comes with that. VATSIM, as it is now, does not have a reward system whih to me is something I would like to see more of.

Kindest regards,

Drago

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

A standard AI Traffic library similar to IVAOs MTL Library that would work with all platforms (flight sims) including GA traffic.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Paul Semeran 1317688
Posted
Posted

Create some sort of pilot quality standard, such as pilot entry examinations. Maybe before issuing a CID to a pilot, they must complete a BASIC entry examination that tests knowledge of basic flying skills and how things work on VATSIM. In my honest opinion, controllers are held to such a high standard and go through so much training, why shouldn’t the pilot.

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

All great suggestions thus far. It seems voice codec is a primary concern. Let's take it a bit further. If you could change your item personally, how would you do it? What would it look like?

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Matthew Kosmoski 891361
Posted
Posted
The standard of piloting is dreadful. Tried taking off out of Heathrow yesterday and someone about to land on me and with various people taking off on the wrong runways. I would like a pilot test when you create a VATSIM account, just like the one that BAv has because it seems that some users can't even fly an aircraft.

Furthermore where is the voice codec?

You raise a good point -- Per UK law, an aircraft on the ground shall give way to aircraft in the air (as is the case in every country), so perhaps you might need a refresher. Adding to that some education on there generally not being such a thing as a "right" or "wrong" runway at an uncontrolled field.

Air Traffic Manager

Houston ARTCC

http://www.zhuartcc.org

Luca Brazza 1279338
Posted
Posted

A better voice codec - and a more harder sanction on trolls.

Varun Solanki
Posted
Posted

Allow VATSIM to have its own official Meme Page. I would love to handle it.

Varun Solanki | Student 3

VATWA Division, India VACC

Look Before you Leap

Follow me on Instagram @varun747vabb

images.jpg.27b267ad06682cf2548d7c7c5c5b93be.jpgairindiastaralliancelogo1.png

Matheson Shenher 1344350
Posted
Posted

We need standards for pilots. It's demoralizing that controllers need to go through training to be able to provide proper services, but pilots can come on with 0 experience and ruin everything because they don't know better. I have been controlling for 2 years and just resigned because of this. It ruins the ATC's ability to be professional when you have pilots who have no clue of what to do.

In essence, all it takes is a basic course that pilots need to go through to be able to fly, similar to the P ratings that already exist.

Robin Kanters 1398341
Posted
Posted

+1 on better voice codec

Sometimes the quality is so bad that you can barely make out what pilots are saying...

Deon Mathews
Posted
Posted

I would like to see a clearly defined "Mission and Vision" statement to serve as a foundational text for members and staff to pursue a shared and common purpose and to be the focal point of any and all activities/projects on the VATSIM network.

Deon Mathews

VATSIM Marketing & Communications Team

Shrikar Galgali
Posted
Posted

My honest Opinion...

Merge with POSCON. Everyone is happy

Shrikar Galgali

Proud Member of VATWA Division

India vACC

26.png

Sachin Gnath
Posted
Posted
My honest Opinion...

Merge with POSCON. Everyone is happy

+1

Regards, 

S G

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Swift...with updates to the m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es so we have an idea of direction and distance to go

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training