You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Recall previous messages / get a notification

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Being used to vPilot when I was using P3D, XSquawkbox feels a bit comebersome to use. All in all though, I think it works pretty OK. Especially as long as you can rely on voice communication where you don't need the GUI but instead use the PTT button for all communication.

One thing though I haven't figured out is how to best make sure you haven't missed a text message that was for you.

When en-route in uncontrolled airspace you normally receive a text message from ATC when they come online where you're asked to contact them on freq xxx.xx. However if you don't happen to be in front of your PC when this happens, you risk missing it since it will vanish from the screen after a couple of seconds. Then you won't see the text box until someone else sends a new message.

Is it any way to bring up the text window manually to check the latest text messages?

I checked out the docomeentation where it said you should be able to use the TAB key to recall old text messages. However pressing the TAB key, nothing happens over here.

Even better would be if there was some way to receive a sound notification so you could actually hear that someone sent you a message. And of course the best thing would be if this sound notification was sent to your main PC speakers rather than the headset you might be using since maybe you don't wear the headset when there's no one to talk to.

Thanks in advance for any input how the rest of you guys handle this.

Richard Åsberg

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

For sound, install this plugin: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/23217-xsquawkbox-message-sound/

The TAB key should work unless it's [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to something else. If it doesn't you can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a different key in the Preferences.

KntU2Cw.jpg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Many thanks, looking forward to try it out tonight when I will also double-check the button/key [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignments.

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Yup, the TAB key brings up the chat window again. To go back to old messages, I use the PgUp/PgDn buttons once the chatbox is open.

Me.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted
Yup, the TAB key brings up the chat window again. To go back to old messages, I use the PgUp/PgDn buttons once the chatbox is open.

Pressing TAB didn't do anything when I tried it the other day. Maybe because I have the Zibo mod installed and something else is already [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to the TAB key "out of the box"?

Will fiddle around with this tonight after work.

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Still not sure why TAB wouldn't work for me because I checked in XP and it reported TAB wasn't used.

Anyways, I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a different key and now I'm able to both open the text window as well as scroll up/down using the page up/down keys. Nice!

I also tried the suggested sound notification add-on and it seems to work great so thanks again! I also replaced the default sound that comes with the add-on with a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic "ding-dong" sound which will make it so much easier to keep track of people trying to get your attention when flying online.

Very much looking forward to next online flight

Richard Åsberg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Glad you found your way round the problem.

C-u in the virtual skies!

Me.

• 3 weeks later...
Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Still not sure why TAB wouldn't work for me because I checked in XP and it reported TAB wasn't used.

This is something that broke in XP11 - Tab specifically cannot be bound (it works fine in XP10). It's not being fixed in the 1.x family. 2.0 uses a different method for keybinding and I believe Tab is usable again.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info.

Not a biggie though since I'm now using 'T' instead.

Richard Åsberg

• 3 weeks later...
Tom Stian Bjerk 853618
Posted
Posted

I belive the TAB key is reserved by X-Plane 11.

XPD-7493 Disallowed binding commands to the Tab key since it’s used for setting keyboard focus.

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-00-release-notes/

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

As mentioned above I'm now using 'T' successfully but thanks anyway for the insight.

Richard Åsberg