You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Confused with file structure

Tom Maxwell

Tom Maxwell
Posted
Posted

I am new to this product and controlling in general but I think I am OK with software in general. For the life of me, I cannot figure out the file structure of Euroscope. There are profile files, asr files, settings files, sector files, alias files, ICAO airlines file, ICAO airport files, ICAO Aircraft file, Airport Coordinates, FSNavigator data, Vatism server IP addresses, additional server IP addresses, and maybe a couple I missed. I don't fully know how to use all of these. I have read the WIKI multiple times and it does a good job of explaining what information is in each file, but it is lacking on how they are interrelated and used. It seems that several of the files have the same information in them.

I am struggling with understanding the workflow. For instance, if I set everything up to function as GND_IAH, and then want to save it, I would think all the settings should go into one profile file for GND_IAH. So if I reload it later, everything will be exactly the same. But it seems that if I now set up EuroScope for say TWR_HOU and change the settings, they overwrite the previous settings in the settings files for GND_IAH. So do I need to go into the Settings files setup screen and designate new files for each configuration I create? And if I then wan to reload the GND_IAH configuration, do I not have to go back into the Settings files setup screen and reset the previous file names for GND_IAH?

If someone could provide some workflow examples of how they have set up these files for say two or three different positions, I will be very grateful. I am confused to say the least. Thank-you!

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Hi Tom,

I am with you. As a matter of fact, I prefer a root-canal treatment over updating sector files.

On the other hand: my VACC has written a fairly me-proof manual about this subject. As the exact workflow is different for each VACC, I suggest you contact your local Training Department for further [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. Otherwise, try contacting an on-duty controller at KIAH. Workload permitting, I see no reason why he couldn't help you setting up your system.

Good luck!

Martijn

Tom Maxwell
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply. I will see if I can hunt down a Euroscope expert here. I have not joined a facility yet so I will post on the US forum looking for a resident Euroscope expert. I don't mean to sound unappreciative and I am sure there are sound reasons for the design, I am just not seeing the file structure layout and why the need for so many configuration files in so many different places. I am relentless and I will figure this out and understand it before it is all over. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Bjoern Helge Smaavollan
Posted
Posted

You don' have to worry to much about most of the files.

The ICAO files are rarely updated, and mostly done by yourself. They are used to show aircraft types, callsigns and Airlines in euroscope for the controller.

Asr files this is where you set up your scope for your different positions ie _twr or _gnd and so on.

Sector files are distributed by your vacc, and they usually contain settings and profile file, which tells euroscope how to draw everything. Settings may be in the profile depending on plugin usage.

Fs navigator files are not necessary, as the advantage is that you are showed waypoints outside your sectorfile so that ES can draw the full route of an aircraft. (they are updated using Navigraph data for fsnav BTW.)

I could probably write more, but I don't think that is necessary.

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

Hi Tom,

If you use the same profile but different ASR files, your chances for having the same setup everytime you load will be better. In case you use a different profile, then you might have to create a seperate set of settings files.

I am not quite sure, I understand correctly what you are looking to do with your setup, but you can send me a PM if you need any help and I'll try to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you - unless you have figured out, how to reach your goal.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png