You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice Hosting a Frequency

Nick Warren

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

I guess the best way to answer this would be to just try it out, but I am not near my computer at the moment and curiosity was there. Basically, does a controller (I use vSTARS, but any client all the same) have the ability to host a secondary voice frequency while connected? I know only the primary frequency will show up in the pilot client list of controllers, but if the secondary frequency was hosted, could a pilot or pilots tune to it and be able to voice communicate?

This question has been on my mind for some time, but stemmed from the other night flying the Newark FNO. I flew the SFRA, and had put out a request for someone to voice activate the SFRA frequencies. As there was other traffic, it would have come in handy to voice communicate as it is a very challenging airspace to type and fly through, as well as that traffic would otherwise be conducted over the traditional Unicom.

So would one of the controllers have been able to voice host the SFRA frequencies if they chose to? Is this something that could perhaps be utilized in other SFRA's, or even to establish voice CTAF/Unicom for uncontrolled fields if they are pertinent to an event?

It's just a curiosity. Thanks

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Yes. VRC does anyway. Several VSOAs have ‘closed’ voice rooms which can be monitored, and even if you create a freq on a server it can be accessed by anyone.

An FSInn client can create a voice room also.

Definitely doable in VRC and FSInn.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VRC can create multiple voice rooms, but only one can be joined by pilots by way of tuning a frequency in the COM radio. The only way for pilots to join a secondary frequency is if they use a client that allows for joining "private voice" channels, like FSInn or Squawkbox, where you join by specifying the voice server address and channel name. vPilot does not support private voice channels.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the reply. Although different, they are helpful. I am curious Ross, as a long time user of VRC and then vSTARS, what becomes the purpose of being able to tune and/or create multiple voice channels at once if the pilot clients can't simply tune to them noting the exceptions you mentioned? I am actually all for being able to work multiple frequencies at once. For example a tower controller simultaneously working a ground frequency, or an approach or center controller working multiple sector frequencies (although emphatically unnecessary). Having been on the network since it's inception, and beforehand, I realize this has never been the practice. Maybe I'm just thinking of future directions with some of the other posts going on in the forums.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I am curious Ross, as a long time user of VRC and then vSTARS, what becomes the purpose of being able to tune and/or create multiple voice channels at once if the pilot clients can't simply tune to them noting the exceptions you mentioned?

Mainly it's for two reasons ... one is for training. The instructor can work one frequency while monitoring a student who is working a different frequency. The other is for covering a frequency for another controller that is stepping away for a few minutes.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

Thank you for taking the time Ross. Will just wait to see how some of the network improvement plans pan out.