You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FLAi FSX and P3D Model Matching for VATSIM

Kyprianos Biris

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted

The successor of BVAI I guess.

https://flai.app/

Nice work

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Correct, both BVAI and vPilot AI have been combined into Fly AI (FLAi). Great work by VATSIMmers Ryan Parry, Matthew Miller, and Szymon Puzdrowski who put the new FLAI together. Glad you like it.

If you have any questions or need help, visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/283042562266928/

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Matthew Miller
Posted
Posted

Using this thread, let’s talk about Fly AI (FLAi).

First and foremost, FLAi was developed using both BVAI and VpilotAI. We have rebuilt this package from the ground up, incorporating the best features of BVAI and vPilot AI, and adding new features too. In total there are now 150 aircraft models and more than 1,200 liveries.

Given the number of changes, we’re calling this version of FLAi an open beta to allow time for people to try out the new models and provide feedback that we can incorporate into the package. If you install FLAi now, please help by sharing any issues you may encounter through our Facebook page or using the contact form on our website.

You can download FLAi from http://www.flai.app.

Once you download and open the new FLAi installer you will notice one of several pictures that were submitted within the VATSIM community. The pictures we include as a background for the Operations Center will come from VATSIM’s Month Screenshot Competition, and the VATSIM Facebook.

78HYqsc.jpg

Next, We’ve simplified the installation process to just the click of a button. Those who currently use BVAI, the Ops Center will uninstall this older package automatically. The installer will then proceed to install FLAi according to the preferences you choose. You are now given three options:

1. FSX and Prepare3D v3 or earlier

2. Prepare3D v4

3. Prepare3D v4 with Dynamic Lights

Those who use P3D V4 with dynamic lighting disabled, you are now able to use FLAi without dynamic lighting effecting your aircraft. Although every sim is different, this is shown to save on FPS. Those who have dynamic lighting enabled within P3D V4, you are able to allow lighting within P3D to cast upon the AI aircraft depicted in your sim. Again, every sim is different. You are more than welcome to test out both settings by switching between the two, pressing save, and updating FLAi within the Ops Center.

T8AIjmQ.jpg

Once you log into the sim the differences between BVAI, VpilotAI, and FLAi might not seem apparent right away. A Delta 737-800 will still appear as a Delta 737-800. Fly around a bit and you will notice the difference. Performance has been improved with newer, more up to date models and updated high res textures. We’ve gone through each model, texture, aircraft.cfg, etc to ensure everything works as designed.

QlpteFG.jpg

The model matching, or VMR file has been redone to expand upon regional, cargo, and historic model matching. This file is automatically placed into your Vpilot Files folder. All you have to do is apply this file to your Vpilot Settings/Custom Model Matching Rulesets. This VMR file is the brain of FLAi. All Model Matching code is processed through this file. Based on user feedback we can expand upon this VMR file in order to model match more effectively.

Model matching depends on the callsign you file. FLAi uses real-world callsigns and aircraft types to model match. A that pilot files as DAL1235, a B738, will display as a Delta Boeing 737-800. A pilot that either spells out the callsign, “DELTA” or logs on as an invalid aircraft type will not display correctly. Before logging onto the network, ensure at least your aircraft type is correct. A list of aircraft type codes can be found here:

http://www.bvartcc.com/Pilots/PilotReferences/TypeAbbreviations.aspx

We do understand a lot of pilots fly for fictional virtual airlines. Currently, 99% of VA’s will display a white version of the aircraft that pilot logs onto the network as. We plan on adding virtual airline model matching as time goes on.

lDxI4HN.jpg

Another point I cannot stress enough. Be on the lookout for updates to FLAi at least once a week. It’s so easy! Just open the FLAi Operations Center, and check to see if your version matches the latest version. If it doesn’t, just press that pretty update button and grab a drink. It’s all automated.

As always, feedback is welcomed. Between us and our beta testers we cannot test every possible callsign with every aircraft. If you have any questions or need help, there are various ways you can contact us. You can either use the feedback forum at here, or message us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/283042562266928/

aew0s6e.jpg

UmpL4AF.jpg

aBQxANc.jpg

stb_beta.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

My Traffic Version 5.2B Repainter and Beta tester!

Visit us at: www.mytraffic2004.com

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted

What an excellent work !

Thank you.

I only had (have) one little problem.

Even though I uninstalled BVAI and deleted its aircraft collection before installing FLAi, when I launch FLAi it still gives me the warning about BVAI being installed.

Which are the components of BVAI that FLAi detects so that I manually wipe them out

I'm on WindowsX.

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Matthew Miller
Posted
Posted
What an excellent work !

Thank you.

I only had (have) one little problem.

Even though I uninstalled BVAI and deleted its aircraft collection before installing FLAi, when I launch FLAi it still gives me the warning about BVAI being installed.

Which are the components of BVAI that FLAi detects so that I manually wipe them out

I'm on WindowsX.

When you launch FLAi it is most likely warning you that BVAI is still installed because the root folder is still present. Even though you uninstalled BVAI, it's still recognizing that the BVAI.lock folder is installed on your computer. It's usually a quick fix. Send a message using the Feedback template on https://flai.app/ so we can look into it.

stb_beta.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Is there a way to load these on a different drive than the one FSX is installed. My SSD is rather full and cannot fit this entire model set. Thanks!

Edit: I used a dynamic link which I think worked but when checking for updates it thinks I haven’t ever downloaded.

Mr.

VATSIM P2

Matthew Miller
Posted
Posted
Is there a way to load these on a different drive than the one FSX is installed. My SSD is rather full and cannot fit this entire model set. Thanks!

Edit: I used a dynamic link which I think worked but when checking for updates it thinks I haven’t ever downloaded.

If you are using P3D V4, the Ops Center will allow you to change where FLAi is installed into using the settings tab. I have mine on a different drive also.

stb_beta.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Apologies in advance for what is going to be a bit of "thinking out loud" in an effort to help. I think what you are trying to do is possible with the automated installer, but will require some trickery. I'm not writing this from my sim computer, so I'm going by memory in a few areas. If there's any part of this that is inaccurate, please let me know as you go through the process so I can update for the next person who has a similar question.

1. Start with a clean install (i.e., remove what you have now)
  2. When you install FLAi for FSX or P3D v3, you should have the option to specify an install path. Although it asks for your FSX root directory, you can actually point it anywhere, including onto another drive
  3. FLAi SHOULD recognize the files and allow you to auto-update. However, FSX won't (yet)
  4. Once the FLAi models are in place, you'll need to tell FSX where to look for them. This is done through a modification of the SimObjects.cfg file. Instructions for that:
    1. When the installer has completed, navigate to the folder where you installed FLAi. Manually move items from the "Effects" and "Texture" folders into FSX Root\Effects and FSX Root\Texture. Unfortunately, these items do need to sit in the same place as FSX, unless you've found a workaround (not sure what "dynamic links" are)
    2. Locate your FSX.cfg file at C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
    3. In the [main] section, add an entry for the location of the SimObjects\Airplanes directory for FLAi. For example, if you installed FLAi to "C:\FLAi", then you would make an entry like "SimObjectPaths.6=C:\FLAi\SimObjects\Airplanes"

Again, in theory, this should allow you to use the FLAi Operation Center to update your aircraft models, on a separate drive, for FSX or P3D v3. Please let us know how it works!

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Thank you for such a great package, had the opportunity this weekend to take part in a couple of Vatsim events and didn't have any livery errors, and the traffic was really smooth. Also tried it with Real Traffic/LorbyTraffic with no issues. Using P3dv4.3.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Ron Rashi 1431263
Posted
Posted
Thank you for such a great package, had the opportunity this weekend to take part in a couple of Vatsim events and didn't have any livery errors, and the traffic was really smooth. Also tried it with Real Traffic/LorbyTraffic with no issues. Using P3dv4.3.

Sorry for the question, but I tried to connect vatsim with FLAi and I got for all the planes livery and model errors. So can you please describe how did you make this package to work? Thank you very much.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Sorry for the question, but I tried to connect vatsim with FLAi and I got for all the planes livery and model errors. So can you please describe how did you make this package to work? Thank you very much.

Which flight simulation platform are you using (FSX, Prepar3D v3, or Prepar3D v4)? Did you run the automatic installer or did you install manually?

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Nico Kaan
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I wanted to manually download the liveries for P3Dv4 but the download link in the pdf is the same as the one for FSXP3Dv3. Even the text is the same. Could you guys have that corrected please?

Regards,

Nico Kaan

Developer: PSXseeconTraffic, ParkPosGenerator and AILGenerator

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
Hi,

I wanted to manually download the liveries for P3Dv4 but the download link in the pdf is the same as the one for FSXP3Dv3. Even the text is the same. Could you guys have that corrected please?Regards,

The fileset is the same for both P3D v3 and P3D v4. The difference is that v4 users also have the ability to use the dynamic lights option (instructions are provided for that, if you want to use it). You should be able to download the files and follow the installation instructions as shown.

Let us know if you encounter any issues.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Nico Kaan
Posted
Posted

Hi,

FYI, I found the following ICAO invalid aircraft type codes:

AN124 FLAi_A124\Aircraft.cfg

BD-700 FLAi_GLEX\Aircraft.cfg

CS100 FLAi_BCS1\Aircraft.cfg

CS300 FLAi_BCS3\Aircraft.cfg

Citation FLAi_C750\Aircraft.cfg

DC9 FLAi_DC91\Aircraft.cfg

DC9 FLAi_DC93\Aircraft.cfg

DC9 FLAi_DC95\Aircraft.cfg

E140 FLAi_E140\Aircraft.cfg

MD80 FLAi_MD80\Aircraft.cfg

PA28 FLAi_P28A\aircraft.cfg

and the following problems:

FLAi_A321neo\texture.ANA-All Nippon [fltsim.11] does not exist

FLAi_B738\model.scimitar_SN [fltsim.179] does not exist

FLAi_E75S\aircraft.cfg contains non-consecutive [fltsim.x] numbers at .x=12

Nico Kaan

Michael Broom
Posted
Posted

I have been using UT2 for my Ai traffic and now I have installed FLAi.

Can I run them both together or do I have to uninstall UT2.

Currently I have just gone into my sim and I cannot see any traffic at all although this is outside of Vatsim.

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Michael

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Hi,

FYI, I found the following ICAO invalid aircraft type codes:

Thanks! I'll p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] this on to the developers.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted
I have been using UT2 for my Ai traffic and now I have installed FLAi.

Can I run them both together or do I have to uninstall UT2.

Currently I have just gone into my sim and I cannot see any traffic at all although this is outside of Vatsim.

I don't think you would have any issue running both, although that would depend somewhat on which rules you're using for model matching in vPilot. The .vmr files control which callsigns are matched to which aircraft, and your mileage/success with running both will depend on which .vmr file takes precedence.

I might suggest you try running only one or the other first, to see how you like it/them. This should be as simple as just temporarily removing the .vmr file(s) for UT2 or FLAi and doing a few flights.

FLAi is only designed to work online for VATSIM, so you won't see any traffic/aircraft if you're not connected to the network.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Michael Broom
Posted
Posted

Hi Evan,

Many thanks for your reply, that makes things a bit clearer.

Michael

Nico Kaan
Posted
Posted

FLAi is only designed to work online for VATSIM, so you won't see any traffic/aircraft if you're not connected to the network.

No that's not true. It is just a collection of normal AI aircraft from different developers. They will work in any context that uses AI aircraft, such as my PSXseeconTraffic program. Any other AI program that allows adding AI aircraft will work with it.

Maybe you mean the VMR file, that will ofcourse only be applicable to vPilot.

Nico Kaan

• 2 weeks later...
Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted

Are historical airframes included such as Concorde, VC10 ,Viscount, Comet, B707 etc?

Regards, Rog Hanson

Mark Osborne 1279319
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I've downloaded the SPAi Operations Center and have created and named a folder SPAi on my E drive (P3Dv4 installed on C drive) and extracted the packages there. In that folder I have 3 folders: Effects, SimObjects and Texure, a file named FLAI.lock and a zip file named FSXP3D. When I select the VMR file in Vpilot the rule set does not appear in my list in the advanced tab.

Have I done something wrong?

Best regards,

Mark

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

I wasn't able to get the models to show when using from a secondary drive, even after adding a section to SimObjects.cfg. Every aircraft came up with the standard "couldn't match" message in vPilot despite the fact it was clearly there.

Had to re-install with everything in the P3D main folder...

Trevor Hannant

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Mark/Trevor, have you tried the suggestion I posted previously? Just asking to understand why it didn't work (it should have).

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=76759#p526069

spacer.png

Evan Reiter

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Which flight simulation platform are you using (FSX, Prepar3D v3, or Prepar3D v4)? Did you run the automatic installer or did you install manually?

Sorry for not coming back to you with a reply, unfortunately I've not visited this topic since I posted.

After installation I made sure of the following:

Added an entry in simobjects.cfg with path to installation folder.

Started vPilot and selected the FLAi set for model matching.

Then took part in a Vatusa event and didn't get any mismatch errors, probably because most of the callsigns and types were already in the FLAi package. Noticed a smoother performance by the AI and didn't get any black textures, the aircraft lighting and the aircraft textures were also incredibly clearer than those in other AI packages I've used.

Trust that by now you may have solved any issues.

best regards

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Mark Osborne 1279319
Posted
Posted

Hi Evan

Using a clean install I installed the models into a folder I created and named FLAi within the SimObjects folder of the P3dv4 folder. Copied the texture and effects files to the P3D equivalent folders. I then added the following to the end of the simobjects.cfg with Entry.9 being the previous entry.

[Entry.10]

Title=Default Airplanes

Path=SimObjects\FLAi\SimObjects\Airplanes

Required=True

Active=True

Once in vPilot, I added the FLAi Model Matching.vmr, and in the advanced tab checked only the SimObjects\FLAi\SimObjects\Airplanes box which has identified 1,696 models.

When I connect to Vatsim i see errors in red stating "Failed to create aircraft XXXXX using model "XXXXX". The model may be corrupt or missing. vPilot will try to create the aircraft with a different model". This error, from what I can tell gets displayed for all aircraft on the network.

Obviously I've made an error. Can you see where I went wrong?

Best regards,

Mark