You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

P3D v4.3 CH-53E comms not working, is a battery required?

Josh Stewart 1275628

Josh Stewart 1275628
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, I dont think the CH-53E has an actual battery to run all of its systems. Does vPilot require the battery of the aircraft to be ON in order for comms to work? I cant even type on Unicom.

I tried to briefly look into it, and when I load another aircraft from the CH-53, the batteries are always off, I flip the switch and Vpilots' comms come alive. But as far as I know the CH-53 that comes with P3D doesnt have any battery to run the systems. i can tune all the frequencies just fine in it.

-Josh

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

vPilot reads the state of the master avionics switch to determine if the radios are on or off. I have run into this issue with several other aircraft. The solution is to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a key combination to the avionics switch and use that to turn on the radions (I usually use shift-A).

Tomas Hansson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The avionics master switch must be on, and the radios must be powered up.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Josh Stewart 1275628
Posted
Posted

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a shortcut to Avionics Master and I do notice a small effect of a few instruments turning on and off, but makes no difference on the radios, vatsim comms are still greyed out on vPilot. The radios are on because thats how i tuned the frequency... unless i can tune the freq with the radios off somehow.

I also tried [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning Master battery toggle, and still to no avail... Any other possible solutions, or if someone has flown the CH-53E on vatsim, how did you get the comms working???

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It was a different heli, but, I ran into difficulty in the past when my default flight was cold-and-dark, and one of the dark systems in that scenario was a system that my heli needed not to be dark but didn't have a switch for.

Long story short, try loading up a default plane with everything powered & lit, and save that as your default flight. Close & re-open the simulator. Then select your Chinook & see if you have radios.

Not sure whether that will help but it's worth a shot...

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Josh Stewart 1275628
Posted
Posted

The heli is a Super Stallion actually, by Nemeth Designs, but Lockheed Martin added it into their hanger of aircraft in v4.2.

I tried what you said though, made sure everything was powered up, saved as a default, exited, then relaunched and chose the CH-53.

Unfortunately that didnt work either, the aircraft spawned in cold and dark, and im sure its doing that because of some .dll gauge with the aircraft.

HOWEVER, I did manage to get the comms up on VATSIM with another method; default ATC! After turning on all the systems of the Super Stallion I opened up ther default P3D ATC window (with the "`" key), and tuned what ever frequency it said I could tune too. Once I clicked that, VPilots' TX RX symbols were no longer greyed out, and I simply tuned back to the unicom frequency. Unfortunately, no atc is online right now, so i cant fully check and see if this is indeed a good solution.

Josh Stewart 1275628
Posted
Posted

Well, it seems like the default atc window is not a viable solution to keep comms running on vatsim.

After a little while, it seems like the default atc tunes out of the frequency and vPILOT greys out its TX RX again.

I even retried to get them back up by restarting the simulator and following the same process I outlined in my message above, but I cant get vPILOTs freqs to work now.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

If you have FSUIPC, try enabling infinite battery life.

With a different previous add-on, I once had an issue where the add-on's custom-coded electrical system would black out at inappropriate times because the FSX default electrical system would lose charge.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 3 weeks later...
Josh Stewart 1275628
Posted
Posted

Im guessing thats with the Registered version lol, unfortunately I dont see any setting for that feature.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Yes, it is. However, the registered version also allows you to specify a different control setup for each different plane (or category of plane or what-have-you), which I find invaluable, so I considered that small investment money well spent. Your perception of value and mine may differ, of course, but it might also offer a solution to your radio power problem.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Josh Stewart 1275628
Posted
Posted

I do fly quite a bit of freeware in the sim... lol. But I have heard of some very good things about the registered version. Im going to go ahead and contact the devs of vPilot and see if they have any solutions first.

• 8 months later...
Will Friedman
Posted
Posted

Any update as to the paid version of fsuipc and setting the battery to always on working?

• 1 year later...
Phillip Smit
Posted
Posted

I found that if one changes the following setting in the aircraft.cfg under [electrical]:

To: avionics           = 0, 5 , 17.0

Then leave the app in the starting position vpilot works with the Nemeth Design CH53.