You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Question about logging in below your rating.

Tim Simpson

Tim Simpson
Posted
Posted

I've noticed a lot lately C1 and instructor rated controllers logging on as tower and approach, with nobody above them. Am I imagining things, or did VATSIM at one point, require people to log on to their highest rated position? In other words, if you were tower rated, you logged on as tower, and not GND or CLD.

Tim

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hi Tim, during my 2 years at VATSIM, I haven't ever seen such rule. Controllers have always been able to log on at lower positioms than their rating, but never above except for training.

Me.

Tim Simpson
Posted
Posted

OK. Was just curious. Just seeing more of that on the network lately.

Thanks,

Tim

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

No such VATSIM rule in the 11 years I've been here.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

We have a regional policy that says “should”. I believe that some other regions also say should, but I enjoy the chance to do TWR and APP at times.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

A controller should endeavour to provide a service to the greatest number of pilots:

a) if the controller holds an S2 rating, by operating a Tower position;

b) if the controller holds an S3 rating, by operating an Approach position;

c) if the controller holds a C1 or higher rating, by operating a en route position.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
I've noticed a lot lately C1 and instructor rated controllers logging on as tower and approach, with nobody above them. Am I imagining things, or did VATSIM at one point, require people to log on to their highest rated position? In other words, if you were tower rated, you logged on as tower, and not GND or CLD.

Tim

No requirements, but you also have some ARTCC's that have memebers rated as C1 but not endorsed on their only Enroute position.

I am C3 rated have visiting rights at Heathrow but I am only endorsed for Tower.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

I am C3 rated, but only choose to work the terminal environment and occasionally local positions. I have committment issues and trying to hold on to a long term relationship through the whole enroute phase causes me angst.