You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Controlling in Asia

Jay Hsu 926068

Jay Hsu 926068
Posted
Posted

I am currently a controller at VATUSA in a really great ARTCC (Memphis). The family environment is overwhelming and just so good to control in. What I am interested in is simultaniously controlling in VATUSA and in the Hong Kong VACC... what I have read so far in my research leads me to think you cannot control in two different locations at once.

My question: Is it possible for me to continue controlling in VATUSA and start training in the Hong Kong VACC? Who should I get in contact with?

If anyone has an answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Jay Hsu

Jay Hsu

ZME ARTCC

VATPRC Resource Manager

http://www.vatprc.net

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Jay,

Whilst you cant control at two different locations at the same time (duplicate connections) a person could control in Memphis now and then Hong Kong later before returning to control at Memphis (or elsewhere subject to being checked out) tonight.

This is covered under VATSIM's Regional Transfer Policy.

The best person to speak with is probably Gary Law. He does most of the training in VATASIA.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Jay Hsu 926068
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the help, Norman. I will check out that policy and contact Mr. Law.

Jay Hsu

ZME ARTCC

VATPRC Resource Manager

http://www.vatprc.net

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
Jay,

Whilst you cant control at two different locations at the same time (duplicate connections) a person could control in Memphis now and then Hong Kong later before returning to control at Memphis (or elsewhere subject to being checked out) tonight.

This is covered under VATSIM's Regional Transfer Policy.

The best person to speak with is probably Gary Law. He does most of the training in VATASIA.

Just to clarify, most of the policy is about transferring from one region to another. However at the bottom of the policy is a paragraph about "visiting controllers". That is the scheme which allows you to be based in one Region/Division, and yet be allowed to cottnrol in another one.

Ruth

VATGOV7

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Gary Law 842041
Posted
Posted
I am currently a controller at VATUSA in a really great ARTCC (Memphis). The family environment is overwhelming and just so good to control in. What I am interested in is simultaniously controlling in VATUSA and in the Hong Kong VACC... what I have read so far in my research leads me to think you cannot control in two different locations at once.

My question: Is it possible for me to continue controlling in VATUSA and start training in the Hong Kong VACC? Who should I get in contact with?

If anyone has an answer, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Jay Hsu

Jay,

You may continue your controlling in VATUSA and apply Hong Kong VACC for visiting controller at the same time.

The current regulation is..you need to be familar with the procedures currently used in Hong Kong, and up to a certain standard.

So you need to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the validation test in Hong Kong VACC before taking any positions in Hong Kong and Macau.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions...thanks!

Regards,

Gary Law

ATC Training Director of Hong Kong VACC

Regards,

Gary Law

Hong Kong VACC Chief , VATSEA

• 2 years later...
Ahmad Mustaqim Ahmad Tamid
Posted
Posted

Hello and good day to all,

My name is Ahmad Mustaqim..I'm from Malaysia..I have noticed that there is no one controlling the air traffic in Malaysia..I want to volunteer to serve my country in the virtual world..Hehe

If it is not too a burden, i hope anyone can help me regarding this matter..To teach and train me..Tq

PeACe No wAR..

Alfred Tang
Posted
Posted

Kuala Lumpur FIR and Kota Kinabalu FIR are currently under the management of VATSEA. Visit vatsea.net for details and contact training staff members for training. The website shows that Malaysia has its own VACC but the website is down at the moment.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Alfred Tang (934809)

Director | Hong Kong VACC

Hakan Guven 811602
Posted
Posted

Ahmet, I'm from Turkey and member of TRVACC. I'm open WMFC Malaysia FIR when Singapore and Indonesia VACCs makes an events, if they don't need any external controller in that events. I'm visiting (guest) controller both of VACC and I'm witing to open official Malaysia VACC. I'd like to join and become one of founder of Malaysia VACC but it is impossible bacouse I'm active controller in Turkey VACC.

But I can advise something to all VATASIA/VATSEA member. If you don't make cooperation and connect to eachother (espacially neighbor countries) countries/VACC , you can't get enough traffic values. Important point is virtual airlines activities, if you don't have virtual airlines you never get enough traffic flow in those area. You have to get desicion about one or a few days for joint service day and as can as get the same time pieces (as UTC). I know you have time different problem and some of places never have joint in the same time if you want to make an event someday.

But you can divide part of part, example; Thailand,Malaysia,Singapore and Indonesia are the same time line and they have 1-2-3 hrs flight distance. Thailand, Vietnam,Malaysia also can make cooperation. Vietnam,Philipinnes,Hongkong and Taiwan are great area for making operations. I can't advise to make event between Singapore-Malaysia-Indonesia to Hongkong becouse flighttime approximetly 4+hours.

Events and service times are generally 3 hrs limited maybe +/-1 hr. Over time will be very tired on controllers. In other hands, 1-2 hrs flights are potential return legs or crossed traffics. so everybody can fly in that block time.

As I said , key point is virtual airlines activities. I can not see any active/attractive virtual airlines in souteastssia .Japan and Korean have enough traffics on local or between them. Australians have their own traffics and they always prefer fly over Australia and New Zeland. Japans,Korean and Australians have virtual airlines. Thatswhy you can see traffic account in there.

no need to be fly on behalf "real airlines" if there not any law about using real life airlines names.you can create your own virtual airlines but I don't think so it can be problem when you use realilfe airlines. (I don't know as I said that)You can get permissions and generally airlines looks warm about this becouse this is "free advertasing". Ofcourse this is bringing responsible against airlines names.

you can discuss this situation, you have to continue talk "how can we increase traffic and controller activity". you have to earn your potential online flyers

Hakan GUVEN

Alfred Tang
Posted
Posted
Ahmet, I'm from Turkey and member of TRVACC. I'm open WMFC Malaysia FIR when Singapore and Indonesia VACCs makes an events, if they don't need any external controller in that events. I'm visiting (guest) controller both of VACC and I'm witing to open official Malaysia VACC. I'd like to join and become one of founder of Malaysia VACC but it is impossible bacouse I'm active controller in Turkey VACC.

But I can advise something to all VATASIA/VATSEA member. If you don't make cooperation and connect to eachother (espacially neighbor countries) countries/VACC , you can't get enough traffic values. Important point is virtual airlines activities, if you don't have virtual airlines you never get enough traffic flow in those area. You have to get desicion about one or a few days for joint service day and as can as get the same time pieces (as UTC). I know you have time different problem and some of places never have joint in the same time if you want to make an event someday.

But you can divide part of part, example; Thailand,Malaysia,Singapore and Indonesia are the same time line and they have 1-2-3 hrs flight distance. Thailand, Vietnam,Malaysia also can make cooperation. Vietnam,Philipinnes,Hongkong and Taiwan are great area for making operations. I can't advise to make event between Singapore-Malaysia-Indonesia to Hongkong becouse flighttime approximetly 4+hours.

Events and service times are generally 3 hrs limited maybe +/-1 hr. Over time will be very tired on controllers. In other hands, 1-2 hrs flights are potential return legs or crossed traffics. so everybody can fly in that block time.

As I said , key point is virtual airlines activities. I can not see any active/attractive virtual airlines in souteastssia .Japan and Korean have enough traffics on local or between them. Australians have their own traffics and they always prefer fly over Australia and New Zeland. Japans,Korean and Australians have virtual airlines. Thatswhy you can see traffic account in there.

no need to be fly on behalf "real airlines" if there not any law about using real life airlines names.you can create your own virtual airlines but I don't think so it can be problem when you use realilfe airlines. (I don't know as I said that)You can get permissions and generally airlines looks warm about this becouse this is "free advertasing". Ofcourse this is bringing responsible against airlines names.

you can discuss this situation, you have to continue talk "how can we increase traffic and controller activity". you have to earn your potential online flyers

Dear Hakan,

I'm aware that Asia has a lot less traffic comparing with North America and Europe mainly because of low popularity in the region. No doubts, several division in East Asia are particularly active, such as Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong SAR, but other than this regions, most parts of Asia are very quiet.

There has been efforts to develop new VACCs, including Shanghai, VATIND (which has been very successful), and Indonesia. In fact these developing areas are not too far away from one another so it would be possible to "connect" these regions to weave a big web of traffic. But this takes lots of resources, in particular, human resources. To develop a new division, volunteers are needed to accomplish a list of work, for examples, develop sector files, drawing navigation charts, training new controllers. What makes Asia so quiet is, in my opinion, lack of simmers.

I think it is vital to promote VATSIM to more people in the Asia region so that the local people can take charge of the team after the pioneers have developed it.

If you need any help with Kuala Lumpur FIR please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Alfred Tang (934809)

Director | Hong Kong VACC

Hakan Guven 811602
Posted
Posted

Hi Al Tang, sorry for late response.

As I said that, according me ,reason of "quiet sky" is there is no active virtual airlines. If you provide virtual airlines or provide to simmer groups for getting a group I'm sure traffic flow would be starts and increased with baby steps.

Of course pick time is another important point. As I see in southeast asia, at least %50 controllers out of local area (by living places). So when they join the system, controlling times is spreading long time but this is untidy.Becouse local simmers can be join just only in their free time, so it should be evening times generally.If you don't have local VirtualAirlines, you never get enough traffics.

I don't know internet and computer price is expensive or not in there or really don't idea about what are the people to do evenings or free times.So please forgive me about that if I say wrong someting.In Turkey, now we have a few traffic in week days at noon times, aprroximetly 10 traffics with local or overflight or foreign pilots avarage per hours. At evening after 2000Local time, traffic counts are incresing. If ATC open, traffcis counts are average 20-30 per hours.At events it becomes 40-60traffics per hours.At weekends traffic counts increasing at least %20 in day time and at the evening.

%90 Local traffics are local virtual airlines.%10 pilots are flying not [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to a virtual airlines.We have around 10 virtual airlines and and the most flyers are represent real airlines such as turkish airlines,pegasus,sunexpress,mng airlines but those airlines (real airlines represents) just %30 in total virtual airlines.The rest of them totally virtual names such as Capital, Karadeniz, Adana etc.Turkish Airlines is representing by FlyTHY (www.flythy.com) in hereand they are one the best VA in VATSIM with their own flight recorder and training/seniority programm.

I mean, I can't see virtual CAthay pacific, virtual EVA, Virtual Hongkong Express or Virtual Hainan in there.I know flying tigers group include those airlines but I think they are prefer to fly as offline.I can't see heavy traffic with those name in HK or other airports. If there is a law restriction, you have to use totally virtual names and livery! example "chinasea, macau wings, HK virtual (not the same hong kong airlinles or express),RedDragon for dragon airlines....."

Hongkong is great international destination/departure point.Nearest FIRs are Guanghzou and Shanghai(xiamen) and Taiwan. This area is perfect for maximum 2 hrs flights.Also we can add Manila FIR.

I'm really happy to discuss this case in here becouse if you are continue to find solution, it will be bring more ideas.

Tang, as I said that, I can't be one of founder member for Malaysia FIR but I can give you my experience and time to provide open MY FIR. Malaysia FIR needs a new sector files or modification on existing sector file. There are needs some adding for that I'm using sct file, example, Johor, alor star, melacca, kota bharu are not seen as detailed on existing SCT file. Also there is no WBFC FIR sector file for Kota Kinabalu.If some one create it, at that time three or four sector can be work in the same time; Kulalumpur-Singapore-Kota Kinabalu and Jakarta. This area is include maximum3 hrs flights in one way on cross over sea between 4 FIR.plus domestic flights!

Kualalumpur, Penang, Langkawi,Ipoh are enough details but at least Johor and Alor Star can be add later bacouse Johor is really close airport who wants to make VFR flights to Singapore.

Malaysia FIR is using Singapore POF file,there wasn't problem until today, so for the future maybe Malaysia can be create own POF file.

I'd ike to see other opinions.

Hakan GUVEN

Yvan Ung 987353
Posted
Posted (edited)

If only I had the time to build my own VA who would encomp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] every FIR you mentioned (ZSHA, VHHK, ZGZU, WBFC, WMFC, WIIZ, RPHI, RCAA, WSJC), an online-only VA who would fly to destinations in every single of these FIRs and more. The codename of that ambitious project: Trans-Asia Jet (TAJ, radio callsign: Tawdry Jet)

And don't forget VVTS! I'm the one most active for the staffing, though I staff at European or North American rush hours... I envisioned booking a S3 ATC exam (I heard that APP is more likely to get extra traffic than TWR, especially inbound)!

Edited by Guest

Regards,

Yvan Ung

Come pilot the longest and sharpest flying pencils of the online world!

China Eastern Virtual

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Maybe the best answer for the "quiet sky" is because there is less consistency in this Region? I'm not talking about the whole region but at least some part of it, and most of the Asian controllers are still attending school that reduces their availability.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Hakan Guven 811602
Posted
Posted

so it means the most of provider users are school ages?what is avarage age in this region? I really don't know user profile in here.If we need more traffic we need to persons who wants to (volunteers) open sectors when they have free time.So, it means we need the persons above 25-30 years old becouse they have their own job or stable working times. This hobby needs self-sacrifice.

We have to call flying tigers group to be make their flights as online.It will be first steps.

Hakan GUVEN

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Yes, most providers are on school ages. I have sacrifice most of my hours on S1 controlling Tower whole day sometimes but I didn't manage to notice any changes when it comes to traffic levels and I don't know why. Maybe some FIR here in Asia is not really discovered around by some pilots that usually fly around USA and Europe, "undiscovered" Airspaces (VATSIM).

Investing most of our time will be easy but I think staring at the scope for hours isn't fun though, and again about the age some here are already on the 25-30 years of age but most of them are working people some are pilot, etc. I know some here that are real world pilots and that keeps them busy. Maybe getting students to S3 or higher would be good in other words if promotions and exam are continous maybe that will put on more radar controllers rather than non-radar controllers.

Romano Lara

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I do know that we can't rush those promotions and examinations, but it's all in the hand of those students.

Romano Lara