You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New to Vatsim as a Pilot - sooooo much to learn

Dane Watson

Dane Watson
Posted
Posted

I am brand new, presently an Observer, but am anxious to get started.

A few questions and comments...

1. I have been reading a whole lot of docomeents and sections found on the Vatsim site as well as viewing many YouTube tutorial videos especially posted by AviationPro.

2. How do I progress from OBS (Observer) to a normal pilot?

3. Do I have to take any specific training first?

4. My home airport is CZBB Boundary Bay just south east of CYVR Vancouver British Columbia Canada. I am disappointed in that when I look at the Vatsim map for online controllers there has been only a Ground Controller at CYVR and no other airports had anyone on duty in my general area. But when I look at the Europe/UK area I see many more - is this normal?

What are the recommended other [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated software needed to go along with or engance Vatsim? Like Vatspy, some kind of mapping, etc., etc.

But I am very much looking forward to flying on Vatsim to renew my former days as a Private/Commercial Pilot.

Regards,

Dane

Kieran Samuel Cross
Posted
Posted

1. I have been reading a whole lot of docomeents and sections found on the Vatsim site as well as viewing many YouTube tutorial videos especially posted by AviationPro.

4. My home airport is CZBB Boundary Bay just south east of CYVR Vancouver British Columbia Canada. I am disappointed in that when I look at the Vatsim map for online controllers there has been only a Ground Controller at CYVR and no other airports had anyone on duty in my general area. But when I look at the Europe/UK area I see many more - is this normal?

What are the recommended other [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated software needed to go along with or engance Vatsim? Like Vatspy, some kind of mapping, etc., etc.

But I am very much looking forward to flying on Vatsim to renew my former days as a Private/Commercial Pilot.

Welcome to VATSIM, Dane.

VATSIM has two types of ratings - controller, and pilot. The "Pilot/Observer" rating simply signifies that you have no controller rating, and are only a pilot, or observer.

If you wish to progress through the pilot ratings, such as "P1", "P2" etc, you can do this through any VATSIM Authorised ATO. You can find a list of them on the VATSIM PTD website. Although most ATOs require actually taking part in training with their instructors, you can get your "P1" rating through self-taught learning, on the VATSIM Academy.

You mention your previous career as a commercial pilot - you may very well be able to find an ATO who will "fast-track" you though the pilot ratings, based on this experience - it's worth asking about.

VATSIM Controllers are different from pilots, in that they can only control where authorized (there are so many different procedures, it'd be unwise to just let everyone roam freely). Many controllers are resident members of VATSIM-UK, hence you'll see a lot more controllers there than you may in your home area. Similarly, some controllers may not be authorized to control your home area, or simply may prefer to control airports seen as "busier".

That being said, don't get your hopes down - all you may have to do is ask (and remember, as a pilot, you can fly anywhere, you don't have to stay at your home base).

There are a lot of good software to go with VATSIM. My preferred is VAT-Spy, but a lot of people are turning to a new project called "Accomeap", it might be worth you checking that out.

Good luck!

Kind Regards,

Kieran Cross,

28.png

Dane Watson
Posted
Posted

Thank you Kieran for your welcome and very informative reply.

I am looking forward to moving ahead quickly but also informed on Vatsim

Regards,

Dane

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Vancouver actually has a decent amount of up-time, but, mostly in the evenings (local time) and on weekends.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Dane Watson
Posted
Posted

Thank you Rob, like I said, I have a lot to learn...

Regards,

Dane

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Hey Dane!

First of all, welcome to VATSIM!!!

Others have previously mentioned the pilot side of things so I'll just jump into the ATC side...

I am actually a S2 (training for S3) controller at the Vancouver FIR on VATSIM (my home airport is CYNJ). Controller activity (especially at less busy airports on VATSIM such as CYVR) is largely based on volume of traffic. During the summer, the volume of traffic in Vancouver dies down and in turn so does the controller activity. However, once we hit fall, the ATC should increase by a fair amount. Also, as Robert said, evenings on weekends are the best time for ATC. If you ever want some ATC to talk to while spinning a circuit, pm me and I am more than happy to hop online if I'm available

Hope you are thoroughly enjoy VATSIM so far!

Josh

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Dane Watson
Posted
Posted

Thank you Josh for the welcome and info...

Regards,

Dane