You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Starting tips

Pedro Taquino 1432570

Pedro Taquino 1432570
Posted
Posted

Good morning/day/night people!

Yesterday I got my vatsim account and clients set up for xplane 11, but I'm still "afraid" to get into it without knowing some basic do's and don't's.

Before you say, I've read the getting started page, but I'm still not sure if I'll be able to perform well

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted
Before you say, I've read the getting started page, but I'm still not sure if I'll be able to perform well

Oh so many jokes, so little time

Study up, start with something basic. Just take a Cessna around the pattern a few times, or a short cross country. Nothing too complex. Even go VFR. Find an airspace that is staffed, but is not too busy. The controller should be willing to help you out at that point. Build up as you get more comfortable. Everybody remembers their first

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Find an airspace that is staffed, but is not too busy. The controller should be willing to help you out at that point.

That, more than anything else, is the advice that new VATSIM pilots fail to follow which results in hurt feelings & a poor first experience. Don't make your first flight at Kennedy, LAX, or Heathrow. Use something like VAT-Spy, VATTastic, or Accu-Map to locate a controller who isn't stressed to the max, & do your first few flights there. Let them know you're new. More than likely, they'll be absolutely happy to take things slow & explain things where needed.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Posted
Posted

Also, put you are new in your flight plan comments e.g. "Brand new to VATSIM" or "New pilot advice welcomed". When i'm in a new aircraft such as I recently bought the Aerosoft CRJ i'll put it in the comments "New to Aerosoft CRJ" so controllers give me a little extra time when giving me new instructions etc because if they read that they know i'm probably just struggling with the FMC. When other pilots read that in your comments using as Rob recommended VatSpy or the like they are willing to help you out as well as the controller.

Mr.

VATSIM P2