You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

real newbie

eric cohen 1434005

eric cohen 1434005
Posted
Posted

to vatsim and x squawk box.

i can find atc using vatspy but can't seem to tune in the radio. the radio won't set the the trailing numbers after the ".". trying to tune into 125.600. ksea seattle atc. i'm in Canada.

should i click on "enter" and tune into control tower just to hear what goes on. i haven't taken my first flight using vatsim.

thanks if you can help.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Try tuning it by typing the following in XSquawkBox:

//125.600

Me.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Eric,

are you using XPlane 11? Which aircraft? I am using XP11 and all aircraft that I have used so far (MD80, Zibo mod B737, C172 Garmin1000, Kingair, Beech Baron) have tuned correctly. Just set the frequency on your panel and XSquawkbox will tune to the voice-channel of this ATC, as long as you are within the radio-range of this controller!

eric cohen 1434005
Posted
Posted

//125.600

thank you i'll try that. but will i just be able to listen only and not interact with atc?

eric cohen 1434005
Posted
Posted
Hi Eric,

are you using XPlane 11? Which aircraft? I am using XP11 and all aircraft that I have used so far (MD80, Zibo mod B737, C172 Garmin1000, Kingair, Beech Baron) have tuned correctly. Just set the frequency on your panel and XSquawkbox will tune to the voice-channel of this ATC, as long as you are within the radio-range of this controller!

thanks. using x p 11.26. zibo b737 can't set frequency on radio stack. help with that issue would be terrific. i only want to listen in and not depart nor submit a flight plan. thanks

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
thank you i'll try that. but will i just be able to listen only and not interact with atc?

If you don't press your PTT, ATC won't hear you.

Me.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Oh, and make sure you don't connect at a taxiway or a runway, just in case .

Me.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
thanks. using x p 11.26. zibo b737 can't set frequency on radio stack. help with that issue would be terrific. i only want to listen in and not depart nor submit a flight plan. thanks

That should work. So, you energize your cockpit by setting external power to ON or starting your APU, right? Do the radios work at all, do they show any frequencies, or are they all dark?

eric cohen 1434005
Posted
Posted

//125.600

that atc is still on line but i've entered code as u suggested but it says "cannot resolve 125.600.

eric cohen 1434005
Posted
Posted

That should work. So, you energize your cockpit by setting external power to ON or starting your APU, right? Do the radios work at all, do they show any frequencies, or are they all dark?

i'm at a gate and starting with engine on. do i still have to start apu?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

You are at a gate in? Beijing? Capetown? Frankfurt? Moscow? New York?

Have you switched on GROUND POWER? Can you read frequencies on the radios on the center console?

You have to be a bit more specific, otherwise we are not able to help you.

eric cohen 1434005
Posted
Posted
You are at a gate in? Beijing? Capetown? Frankfurt? Moscow? New York?

Have you switched on GROUND POWER? Can you read frequencies on the radios on the center console?

You have to be a bit more specific, otherwise we are not able to help you.

i'm at ksea seattle ; i can see radio frequencies and set them on radio stack . not sure where ground power is; but engines running and ready to leave gate.

thank you.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Ok. Now you need to know if there's ATC in the area. For this you need to select from Plugins ==> XSquawkbox the "Who is online list". If it is empty, then there's nobody within your radio range.

Use http://accomeap-project.com/ or VatSpy or Vatastic or Qutescoop to check who is currently online where. Then re-position your aircraft to the apron or terminal of an airport with ATC. Then have a look at the "Who is online list" again, tune a frequency into COM1 and set it active there.