You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSquawkBox tips! (sound, PM's and showing chatbox)

Mats Edvin Aaro

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone!

I constantly come across pilot flying With XSquawkBox, having the same problems every time. I'm making this post to highlight those issues, and hopefully give you some tips!

Message sound:

The most common problem I come across as a supervisor is pilots simply not noticing they are being contacted. The simulator might be minimized, or your attention might have been drawn towards someone else. Unfortunately, XSB doesn't give any kind of alert or warning that you have recieved a message. That, combined with the fact that the chatbox automatically disappears, makes things very difficult.

A workaround to this issue is this wonderful plugin:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/23217-xsquawkbox-message-sound/

This gives you an audible sound whenever you recieve a private message, or when your callsign is mentioned on the frequency chat. That alone solves a major part of the issues with CSB, as your attention is being drawn to the chat!

Private Message:

In other clients, having private messages can seem straight forward. In XSquawkBox however, this is not the case.

To send a private message, you simply type this:

.msg [recipient callsign] [message]

Switch out the [recipient callsign] and [message] with the appropriate alternatives, and you're good to go. Remember you have to type .msg everytime. An example of a message would be this, if you are sending a message to ENGM_W_APP.

.msg ENGM_W_APP Hello sir, which runway can I expect for landing?

If you get a response, it will be shown in purple.

Calling a supervisor:

I feel like I have to write this, since I have come across many who have no idea how to do this. This is the same across all clients, not just XSB.

If you are ever in need for [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance, come across a conflict or have any question at all, never be afraid to call for a supervisor. The method is similar to a private message:

.wallop Hello, I require some [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

It is always good if you give a brief explanation of your enquiry. This will help supervisors prioritize, as they are often busy handling multiple cases.

Showing chatbox

Last but not least, is a problem with an easy fix. Many are frustrated about the fact that the textbox automatically disappears after a few seconds.

To fix this issue, you need to go to the menu bar, and navigate to Plugins > XSquawkBox > Preferences. Here you will find something called "Toggle Text Key". By default, this is bound to the Tab key. Simply change this to another key of your choice (as long as it isn't tab), and you can toggle the box on or off.

Hope this has answered some of your questions (you didn't even know you you had).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new