You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How others see me online (what airline livery)

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

I've been flying the Zibo 737-800 in a Scandinavian Airlines livery for some time but would now like to fly as Ryanair as well.

Noticed when connecting to Vatsim using xSquawkbox, Ryanair isn't in the list of airlines I can choose from. Is it possible for me to add Ryanair to that list myself somehow?

I realize for others to see me in the correct livery, that requires them to have the proper livery installed on their side but...I'm not sure what I need to do on my side when Ryanair isn't in the list and I can't manually type in the field where I pick an airline. How is the list where you pick your airline when connecting to Vatsim populated? Where does the information come from?

Checking ...\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\XSquawkBox\Resources, I find these files but not 100% sure I fully understand exactly how and when they are used?

airlines.txt

liveries.txt

Checking ...\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\XSquawkBox\Resources\CSL\BB_Boeing\B738 I do find what seems to be a Ryanair livery for a B738. The files are called B738_RYR.dds and B738_RYR.obj. I'm guessing though this is related to what I will see on my side rather than how others will see me online?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Richard Åsberg

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Hey Richard,

All that matters is the callsign you log on as. Just connect as "RYR####" and others will be able to see you properly.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Are you sure about that?

Reason for my question is I found this in the xSquawkbox docomeentation on page 5 where it seems like you need to fill out these fields in order for others to see you correctly.

"The aircraft, airline and livery you pick in XSquawkBox are used to tell other pilots on the network what your plane looks like."

Will dig some more trying to figure out what text file I need to modify. Must be one of those I found unless the airlines in the list are hard-coded in the client which I highly doubt.

Richard Åsberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Now I feel like a complete stupid!

I just realized the reason I couldn't find Ryanair in the airline list was I didn't first remove SAS from the field below. Apparently, SAS was acting like a "filter" where I would only see airlines in the list containing 'SAS'.

After replacing SAS with RYR, sure enough Ryanair showed up in the list for me to pick.

Sorry for wasting your time

Richard Åsberg