You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM tests voice codec live on network for first time

Gunnar Lindahl

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Tonight, we tested the new voice codec live on the VATSIM network for the very first time. Featuring reduced latency, improved voice quality and VHF simulation, a first for the network!

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simon Kelsey

• Ross Carlson

• Andreas Fuchs

• Oliver Gruetzmann

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simon Kelsey

Simon Kelsey 6 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 5 posts

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 4 posts

• Oliver Gruetzmann

Oliver Gruetzmann 4 posts

Popular Days

• Sep 27 2018

18 posts

• Oct 3 2018

11 posts

• Oct 1 2018

6 posts

• Oct 4 2018

4 posts

Andrew Ogden
Posted
Posted

Brilliant work from the voice dev team! Great work guys!

Andrew Ogden
Gander Oceanic OCA Chief
Vancouver FIR Senior Instructor

Visit us: https://ganderoceanic.ca

CZQO LogoCZVR Logo

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Fantastic!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Matthew Kosmoski 891361
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear it!

When are we thinking this might be generally available? What's the transition plan look like? Will the new clients be backwards compatible? Will the old clients be backported?

Air Traffic Manager

Houston ARTCC

http://www.zhuartcc.org

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Fantastic news and thanks to all the members involved in the development of this codec. Look forward to using it online.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted
So, we have some results! Where are all the critics now?

Well done!!

Why don't we have it, yet?

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
Where are all the critics now?

There you go:

Hahaha

Me.

Vu Viet Phuong
Posted
Posted

Fantastic !

We are all looking forward to try the new level of communication on VATSIM.

Vu Viet Phuong

Vietnam Cambodia Laos vACC

ACCVCL1

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
Where are all the critics now?

There you go: https://twitter.com/MattDaviesHD/status/1045098246195105792 Hahaha

LOL Magic Matt at his best. Luckily somebody from our VATSIM staff (Gunnar) replied in a very constructive manner.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted (edited)

Gotta love people who are able to keep it cool in this situations. *GG* @Gunnar

Edited by Guest

Me.

Liesel Downes
Posted
Posted

Well done guys! Hope to see it out for the rest of us when it's ready

Liesel Downes
she/her/hers

Marinos Klouras
Posted
Posted

Excellent! Well done guys! Hope it becomes available soon for all.

Marinos Klouras

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted

This is fantastic! I don't know if it's too clear or I'm used to the old one...

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Spencer Yackee 1326148
Posted
Posted
So, we have some results! Where are all the critics now?

Well done!!

Wondering why VATISM has been so lethargic as to allow a problem that has been literally driving people off the network exist for so long, and why there's no information available for potential implementation for such a colossal issue the network is facing.

I'll believe it when my audio through my pilot client sounds like this.

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wondering why VATISM has been so lethargic as to allow a problem that has been literally driving people off the network exist for so long, and why there's no information available for potential implementation for such a colossal issue the network is facing.

I'll believe it when my audio through my pilot client sounds like this.

It is currently in the early beta stages from my knowledge. It'll still need to be refined with tweaks, features, and integration into clients. There will be an update when the team has further information to share, this is how all progress is made. There can be no commitment as to a timeline right now because it is still in early testing. For right now just know that it is being worked on and the progress appears really good so far.

Edited by Guest

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Again: I almost never encounter these problems. If people step onto each others' transmissions, then this is not only caused by the codec, but also by a full frequency paired with impatient customers. As long as you setup your computer the right way, voice should not be a major issue. But we've had this discussion already and I am glad that we are making progress on this new codec, which I very much welcome as well without over-dramatizing the current situation, though.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Ye Gods,

The powers to be have heard and responded and yet still there is negativity. I swear, it's as if someone is handed a sack containing $50,000 to do with as they wish and when they look inside they complain because it's all in $10.00 bills and the sack would weight ten times less if they were Hundreds.

I for one take heart in the comment about "all clients" which may mean my beloved FS2004 is still viable, though ancient.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Yay, for FS 2004

Spencer Yackee 1326148
Posted
Posted

Again: I almost never encounter these problems. If people step onto each others' transmissions, then this is not only caused by the codec, but also by a full frequency paired with impatient customers. As long as you setup your computer the right way, voice should not be a major issue.

I never mentioned anything about having transmissions stepped on. That's an unavoidable problem experienced in the real world to the frustration of many.

Just because you don't encounter these problems does not mean that others do not. Surely if a new voice codec is one of the leading changes people wish to be implemented (there are 37 results for "voice codec" in this thread as of today), there must be a problem with the existing one. If you could inform me how to "setup me computer the right way," so that the compression and decompression of audio over the network isn't horrific, I'll be here. No amount of "setup" for my computer will change the fact that VATSIM uses a dated codec. I fly DCS world daily and use a program there - SimpleRadio, which produces VHF as rich as Christmas pudding.

VATSIM's poor radio quality is a headache and a half for me. I fly long hauls to destinations of the world where controller accents are tough to deal with -- compounded with a bad codec, and every time I fly into Dubai I've gotta go ask for text.

It's also amusing to me that this issue has been mentioned numerous times and discussed to great lengths over a span of years, and is being addressed only now because a challenger to VATSIM has approached.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

There's no pleasing some people, is there?

Curious to know what your reasoning is to think that "VATSIM" (in itself rather nebulous -- VATSIM is not a multinational corporation after all, it is a community -- we are all "VATSIM") has been ignoring the issue?

Do you know what the BoG have or haven't been doing in the background to try and get something moving, for instance?

If it's that easy a problem to solve and it bothered you that much, could you have whipped something up and offered it to VATSIM? Why not?

The leadership of VATSIM, like any volunteer organisation, cannot simply snap their fingers and demand a new codec. I don't know if you've ever been involved in running a volunteer organisation reliant on people's donated time and skills -- I have, and although you can try and encourage people to do things for you at the end of the day it is very difficult -- people spend their time developing things for VATSIM because they want to, not because some VATGOVX has told them to do so.

I'm sure there are many VATSIM members like you or I who could have developed a new codec before now, but it would appear that none of those people with the skills to do so wanted to until now.

The past is the past. We can spend hours arguing about what could have been done when, but it's not going to change anything. The only important thing is what is happening now.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

Amen to that Simon!

I'm definitely living in the now, and thus am very excited for what the future holds! Not complaining now that something good is coming along...

Am looking forward to my VATSIM experience being enhanced tenfold (London Control will never be the same again), and some great work from those behind this - the drive is certainly there to get it to the finish line. No need to 'believe it when you see it' - just believe that change is happening now?

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim

Inwoo Yeo
Posted
Posted

Great news! I'm happy to hear that!

33a58cbbf1f997bc872a36e82decd1b8.jpg

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
I never mentioned anything about having transmissions stepped on. That's an unavoidable problem experienced in the real world to the frustration of many.

True, but it is made worse by the buffering delay in the current codec. The longer the delay, the more "dead space" between transmissions where multiple pilots might begin to jump in with their message -- and when two or more do so at once, the more time that p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es before they realize that they & another user are transmitting at the same time and can stop talking.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

To be clear, the delay doesn't come from the codec, it comes from buffering and transport (network) latency. The codec just handles converting audio into digital data and back. There is some small latency in the codec but from what I'm told, that's insignificant compared to buffering and transport latency, both of which happen after the codec has done its job.

Regarding how latency causes people to step on each other far more than what happens in the real world, I wrote up a fairly detailed summary of it in another thread, if anyone cares for some more detail:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75788&start=15#p523724

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC