You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VPILOT Initial Install

Scott Pemberton 1185404

Scott Pemberton 1185404
Posted
Posted

Hi there I have just re installed my system and upgraded to P3Dv4. I have downloaded vpilot from the correct website but am getting an error and cant even open the software to get into vpilot.

the message reads as follows

saying unhandled exception:unableto obtain public key for strongname pair

should I have simconnect instaled and if so where do i get this?

Thanks

Scott

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

From the vPilot Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide, which is pinned at the top of this forum so all will reference before posting :

Tips and Tricks

4. If you run FSX/P3D as an administrator, you must run vPilot as an administrator. In fact, it is recommended that you run vPilot as an administrator every time.

and

Q: I'm getting the following error: "Unhandled exception. Unable to obtain public key for Strong name key pair." What's up with that?

A: It appears that you are not running vPilot as an administrator. Try doing that.

and

vPilot is a simple-yet-functional client designed to get a new pilot up and flying quickly with good model matching out of the box. Although not specifically written for P3D, vPilot has also been used successfully with Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D, due to the fact that P3D supports the same SimConnect client library that comes with FSX. This means that in order to use vPilot with P3D, you'll need to have FSX SP2/Acceleration installed, or manually install the FSX version of the SimConnect library which comes with P3D.

BTW: SimConnect is not the reason for that error message; you just need to run vPilot as an administrator.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Scott Pemberton 1185404
Posted
Posted

hi i really appreciate you taking the time to respond. i do think you may be misunderstanding me though. I have downloaded and then gone through the install steps but when i check the open vpilot box it simply comes up with that error immediately. then when i try to open form a desktop asd admin it still comes up with that error.

I must apologise for not being the greatest with these sorts of things and would appreciate it if you could further [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist as neither option seems to work.

Thanks

Scott

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I know I just replied to your PM, but I'll copy the response here in case it may help others.

Yes, run both P3D and vPilot as admin. Every time. I'd suggest changing their compatibility settings so every time you launch the programs, they always run as admin. Here's a tutorial on how: https://www.google.com/search?q=run+programs+as+admin+compatibility&ie=&oe=

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations