You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

CTUSA

Matt Andren 1310927

Matt Andren 1310927
Posted
Posted

I have an idea for an event and wanted to see what the feeling was for something like this.

The idea is a cross the USA event twice a year similar to the CTP. It would be west coast to east coast and visa versa for the event.

The event could be held opposite CTP dates to get maximum attendance. The bonus is full ATC the whole way. Similar to light up the US but with a specific goal.

Looking for input and if this is a worth while event idea.

Thanks.

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

Light Up America has happened a few times, that is similar to this event.

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

Camden Bruno
Posted
Posted
Similar to light up the US but with a specific goal.
Light Up America has happened a few times, that is similar to this event.

Rick - Matt already noted the fact that it is similar to LUA...

Matt - It's certainly a cool idea! I will say, however, that logistically speaking it would probably be far more difficult than Cross the Pond. Cross the Pond typically departs the east coast of the United States and most of the ARTCCs along the east coast are online because their airports are apart of the event. A Cross the USA event would require more facilities to be online, some of which likely do not have the manpower to make it happen.

I think that the best part about Light Up America is the fact that it deviates from the normal "congo line" approach to events and allows pilots to fly anywhere within the nation with full air traffic control available.

With that all said, there's no reason you can't propose your idea to the VATUSA Events Manager. His contact information is available here.

Good luck!

Cam B.
VATSIM Supervisor

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted
This event looks similar to what you're proposing, though it doesn't say whether there will be en-route ATC. Personally, if the whole USA was online, I'd rather make a few shorter flights than one long one but I'm sure there will be people who like the idea.
KntU2Cw.jpg

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

You will find that the enthusiasm for such an event is very high for facilities on the east and west coasts of the US. However, the further inland you get you will see that enthusiasm drop off exponentially. Such an event for the overflight facilities quickly turns into death by 30 minute step away requests and really isn't fun for them.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

• 2 weeks later...
Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
You will find that the enthusiasm for such an event is very high for facilities on the east and west coasts of the US. However, the further inland you get you will see that enthusiasm drop off exponentially. Such an event for the overflight facilities quickly turns into death by 30 minute step away requests and really isn't fun for them.

Could be worse, could be death by Position Reports on Oceanic

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member