You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
IMPORTANT: We will no longer promote events by VATSIM Divisions or vACC's posted in this forum. This section will transition to allow for publishing of unofficial events and groupflights. Contact your vACC director for event publishing access to myVATSIM. ×

[3 Nov | 15z | EDDI-EDDF] Berlin Airlift Memorial Flight

Marius Gebauer

Marius Gebauer
Posted
Posted

181103_berlinairlift.png

On the 24th of June 1948 the Soviet occupation force of the devided German nation stopped all imports and exports to and from enclaved West- Berlin, cutting off 2.2 million people from badly needed food and coal supplies. What followed is one of the greatest feats of cargo transportation to date- through three flight corridors West- Berlin was supplied by plane to its city airport Tempelhof. Until the 30th September 1949 nearly 280000 flights brought over 2 million tons of goods in, sometimes over 10000 tons a day. Traffic optimization strategies developed back then shaped in part our modern air traffic and cargo procedures. After the end of the blockade the Tempelhof airfield served as a civil transportation hub until 2008, nowadays the area is used as a public park for the people of the once divided city.

On Saturday, the 3rd of November, 70 years after the time of the blockade, we want to reopen Tempelhof airport EDDI and the procedures of that time to give you the unique opportunity to fly your "candy bomber" aircrafts from Frankfurt EDDF to Berlin and back, via the original route and with special procedure charts. You need the navaid scenery (P3D,FSX,X-plane). We even have a booking system in place and a manual where you can review the most important infos regarding your flight. And even if you don't want to fly a historic plane you are more than welcome to participate on that day. Let's bring that old highway in the sky back to life and have a good Saturday evening flight- we look forward to seeing you!

Event homepage with all information: https://airlift.vatger.net/

1.) Read the manual before flight!

2.) Install Event-Scenery!

3.) enjoy!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Andre Almeida
Posted
Posted

Hello Marius,

Could you provide me with a time at which the event will end? I won't be able to publish it on the calendar otherwise.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted
Event homepage with all information: https://airlift.vatger.net/

1.) Read the manual before flight! 2.) Install Event-Scenery!

Can you please advise where I can find the manual, event charts, and event sceneries on the website? I cannot find ???

Thanks,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Friedrich Boenisch
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Aharon,

You will find the docomeents you need for the event under https://airlift.vatger.net/. --> Select "Briefing" and login via VATSIM-SSO. We know that some people are unable to download. We are working on that issue and hope to slove the problem asap.

I send you a PM with the required files (Charts,Navaid-scenery and operation manual) for the event.

Edited by Guest

Friedrich Boenisch
Posted
Posted

I forget to answer the first question from Andre.

The Events when all booked flights are safe back in Frankfurt.

we expect until 2100z its done!

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Friedrich for kind answers and help

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Pascal Seeler
Posted
Posted

If you want to test your aircraft model and / or your scenery-

this evening there'll be staffing of EDDF and EDDI.

We will open one of the corridors (EDDF --> EDDI) for you to fly.

There will also be a briefing talk on our German TS 3 server-

visit ts3.vatsim-germay.org - we will start at 17z.

See you later!

- obsolete now -

Pascal

vACC Germany | Deputy Chief & Mentor Berlin regional group |

Friedrich Boenisch
Posted
Posted

Last call to book a flight for the rare non-RNAV Event on VATSIM.

VOR-DME/NDB-navigation only on the historic route between Frankfurt and Berlin.

Don't forget to read the operation manual and get the scenery extra designed for this Event.

Pascal Seeler
Posted
Posted

This is today!

Frankfurt and Berlin- Tempelhof are ready for some traffic.

Pascal

vACC Germany | Deputy Chief & Mentor Berlin regional group |

• 9 months later...
Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Anyone still have the X-Plane Scenery Pack for this event, including Tempelhof as well as the decommissioned radio nav-aids needed for its execution? Links for it on their website are no longer valid. I'd love to give this flight a try, particularly since September 30th will mark the 70th anniversary of the end of the endeavor, & I'd love to do a livestream in commemoration. Thanks!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png