You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Need help with VRC. Its not working.

Travis Simp 1438370

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

I am very new to vatsim an I am taking the ATC USA Training program right now. When ever I try to launch VRC it says:

"Could not retrieve server list from network. Using the cashed server list and user defined network." Then I click OK and at the text box it says "Error: Version check failed! HTTP error." This is also accompanied by lag.

I have no idea why this is happening or where to begin. I have already disabled my firewall, but that doesn't work. If anyone could help me, that would be great!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Known issue; you can ignore the error messages.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

It says zero servers found, so I can't connect. That's the problem. If I could connect, I would def ignore it...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

As Don said, you can ignore those error messages. When you open the connect window, it should still show you a selection of servers to choose from.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

I wish that where the case, but as of right now, when I close the error message I am greeted with the red text (that I said in the original post) as well as yellow text that says "0 Servers available", or something along that lines. I am also suffering from lag. It got to 20 to 40 fps for about 3 sec, but after that, it freezes for about 5 sec and this repeats until I shut down VRC. Sorry if I'm sounding so urgent or rude, I just want to be able to become part of VATUSA. Thanks for the responses as well.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The "0 servers found" message is shown after you first select a profile. That happens BEFORE you try to connect to the network. What exactly happens when you try to connect?

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

I am currently an observer, so idk if this has anything to do with it, but as I type in all the info, it says connecting, and about 1 sec after it says "disconnecting". Unless I entered the info wrong... Also thanks for trying to help me so far...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That sounds like maybe a firewall is blocking your connection to the VATSIM server.

What server are you trying to connect to?

Can you post a screenshot of the VRC window after it says "disconnecting" ?

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

Okay, so I triple checked that I entered everything right and it still says the same thing...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Did you see my last reply?

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

Its not a firewall, i disabled it and it still wont work. Im connected to USA-C, and I'll get the screenshots in a sec... Also I did not see your last reply until after I sent this.

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

Here is this what you wanted? https://imgur.com/a/YBeGqtz

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It could still be a firewall that's not under your control. What ISP are you using?

Have you tried other servers?

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

Xfinity if that's what you're asking for... And i'll go ahead and try all us servers... Do I need to port-forward anything?

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted (edited)

Okay, US-W works A-ok, but now I have the fps issue. Its really choppy when I use VRC, but only the application. Everything else runs smoothly.

It almost seems like its updating or rendering something when it hits a lag spike every 7 or so seconds...

Edited by Guest

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure about the choppiness ... I've seen that before on an older laptop that had very poor OpenGL support. What video card do you have?

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

Not sure, but I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume a bad one considering when I run some games, they are in the 15-25 fps range. I figured that this wouldn't require a gaming PC or something of the likes, but I'm guessing I'm wrong...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

VRC does not require a high-end gaming card, but it does require one with good OpenGL support.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

My 8086 computer from 1987 would run VRC... (just kidding, of course, but it doesn't require much!)

And don't try USA-C; it was decommissioned months ago....

Your servers.txt should have the following. If not, use a text editor and correct it manually.

######################################################################
# THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY VRC. DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
######################################################################
180.200.247.40 AUSTRALIA
69.42.61.44 CANADA
212.67.73.150 CZECH
138.201.76.151 GERMANY
212.227.11.18 GERMANY2
139.59.2.4 INDIA
94.73.241.65 RUSSIA-C
84.52.109.230 RUSSIA-W
128.199.91.34 SINGAPORE
176.124.148.55 SWEDEN
185.93.245.200 UAE
178.79.154.95 UK1
178.62.97.26 UK2
69.42.49.158 USA-S
97.107.135.245 USA-E
50.116.3.203 USA-W

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

Thanks, and when I find out my graphics card, how do I check if it has openGL support?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm just curious to know what graphics card you have. We know it supports OpenGL or else VRC wouldn't work at all.

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

I looked it up on my Control Panel and it said "IGPU: Intel Graphics HD". Not too sure what that even means, but if it helps you, then ok...

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The intel graphics cards are notorious for poor OpenGL support in their drivers. I have a laptop with an Intel video chip and it has a similar issue with the screen locking up for a second or so every so often. I don't know of any way to fix it other than getting an Nvidia or ATI graphics card.

Travis Simp 1438370
Posted
Posted

Alright, well. I'll see what I can do... Thanks for all the help!