You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MKJK_CTR

Daniel Corbe 1168404

Daniel Corbe 1168404
Posted
Posted

VATCAR's website for Kingston is broke, so I can't leave feedback there.

[MOD - Removed members name] doesn't seem to understand that VFR departures don't require a flight plan or a squawk code unless flight following has been requested. All I was trying to do was depart MWCR and he literally told me he was too busy to clear me for that.

It's really not fun spending 30 minutes setting up for a flight only to be told to go pound sand.

Hey VATCAR, please teach your controllers about VFR rules!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Regardless of the status of their site, you probably shouldn't call out individual controllers in a public forum for things you perceive as mistakes. I'm sure you wouldn't want controllers posting publicly about you by name every time you bust an altitude [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment or fail to respond to an instruction.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted
that VFR departures don't require a flight plan or a squawk code unless flight following has been requested. All I was trying to do was depart MWCR and he literally told me he was too busy to clear me for that.

Can you point me to the applicable Grand Cayman regulation where it says that?

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Joshua Black
Posted
Posted

You thought it would be a good idea to complain about someone on a public forum? Not smart. Because now, the only person being judged is YOU. Use your head.

Oh, here’s your link:

https://kingston.vatcar.org/cms/index.php/pilots/controller-feedback

So how about doing something wise, and edit your post to remove names? Or better yet, remove the entire post as you can now deal with it the RIGHT way?

Joshua Black

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted
5. Procedures for VFR flights within the Cayman Islands TMA

5.1 Provided traffic conditions so permit, ATC clearance for VFR flights will be given under conditions described below:

a) A flight plan requesting ATC clearance ... shall be submitted.

Procedures for VFR flights within Owen Roberts CTR

a) A flight plan shall be filed for the flight concerned.

b) ATC clearance shall be obtained from the Control Tower

Ref: AIP - CAYMAN ISLANDS

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Not sure what you are talking about, website is working fine.

https://kingston.vatcar.org/cms/index.php/pilots/controller-feedback

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Mark Smith 1119598
Posted
Posted

step 1) departure airport......... MWCR

step 2) arrival airport ...............MWCR

step 3) route ............................ VFR

Ya think the person will filling out an Oceanic flight plan the way they were complaining.

Mark Smith

Vatsim Supervisor

Leemar Yarde 1012703
Posted
Posted

VATCARs' apology for what happened to Daniel. Our controllers do know how to control VFR traffic as relates to their individual airspace.

In the coming month's we'll ensure the FIRs have up to date, clear and easily accessible pilot information on their websites. Along with any adjustments needed to accommodate the nature of the network.

Thanks for the feedback.

Leemar Yarde – I3|SUP

VATSIM Caribbean Division

VATCAR1 – Division Director

Alex Long
Posted
Posted
VATCAR's website for Kingston is broke, so I can't leave feedback there.

[MOD - Removed members name] doesn't seem to understand that VFR departures don't require a flight plan or a squawk code unless flight following has been requested. All I was trying to do was depart MWCR and he literally told me he was too busy to clear me for that.

It's really not fun spending 30 minutes setting up for a flight only to be told to go pound sand.

Daniel-

Thanks for drawing attention to this issue. To cover your grievances in greater detail...

[MOD - Removed members name] doesn't seem to understand that VFR departures don't require a flight plan or a squawk code unless flight following has been requested.

To begin with...the Cayman Islands and most of the Caribbean for that matter operate very differently from how the FAA operates in the United States. The Cayman Islands requires that a flight plan is filed for VFR departures. The source cited for this is as Mike Sweeney posted from the Cayman Islands AIP...

Aeronautical Information Publication (page 52) wrote:

5. Procedures for VFR flights within the Cayman Islands TMA

5.1 Provided traffic conditions so permit, ATC clearance for VFR flights will be given under conditions described below:

a) A flight plan requesting ATC clearance ... shall be submitted.

Procedures for VFR flights within Owen Roberts CTR

a) A flight plan shall be filed for the flight concerned.

b) ATC clearance shall be obtained from the Control Tower

As an additional note, these fields also operate as procedural towers. They don't have radar. Also - [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume if you're flying in the Caribbean, you're going to need to file a flight plan. VFR & IFR. The only FAA facility in the Caribbean is the San Juan CERAP. If you'd like some island flying, but FAA style of control, I'd suggest you check out Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Maybe try hopping over to Juliana while you're at it and get a taste of ICAO.

All I was trying to do was depart MWCR and he literally told me he was too busy to clear me for that.

We're looking into who you spoke to and the exact details of what unfolded, so if this was indeed handled in the manner you explained here, it'll be corrected.

My suggestion would be next time to make sure you file a flight plan. It's always helpful to have a flight plan filed from not only a controller point of view but from a pilots side. From a controller side, it helps us to know what you're doing and how to manage the traffic around you.

Appreciate the feedback, but our guys are quite skilled at handling VFR traffic. If in the future you have any issue with a controller, or questions about our procedures feel free to drop into our TeamSpeak, Discord, check out the website, send an email to any of the VATCAR leadership or ATMs and we would be more than happy to help you learn about Caribbean flying.