You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Switching Win Vista HDD with Win7 HDD

Randy Tyndall 1087023

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

My Grandson has an Alienware Area 51 750i Computer that used to be his father's. It came from the factory with Win Vista 64-bit installed and still works perfectly. Unfortunately, many of the sites he frequents in his gaming pursuit have for very understandable reasons stopped supporting play of their applications on Win XP and Win Vista, including STEAM where many of many grandson's games reside.

I have another HDD that I salvaged from a different computer that came installed with the Win 7 64-bit OS. The HDD is fine, it was the internal graphics card on my computer that failed and since it was time for me to get a new system anyway I made no attempt to fix my Win 7 system. I did save the HDD though, although I have no idea why.

Now I am wondering if it is possible to replace my Grandson's Win Vista HDD with my Win 7 HDD and have his Area 51 Boot up under the Win 7 OS so he can continue his game play in STEAM. I'll be honest. I have already tried but the computer would say it had a problem starting windows and wanted me to run Start Repair, but I was reluctant to do that until I asked here.

Thanks

Randy

EDIT: Disregard, out of sheer luck I stumbled on a heck of a Thanksgiving Early Black Friday deal. MS Win 7 Pro 64-bit for $22.00 on Wednesday 11/21/18 only from a company called Microsoft Office Works out of New York. The support staff was very excellent and answered all my questions and helped me through the setup and registration of Win 7 with Microsoft. Grandson couldn't be happier and I get my system back to fly...

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training