You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

.wallop command for pilots in SB3.1

Michael Zazula

Michael Zazula
Posted
Posted

Hello everybody,

With the release of SB3.1 client software you, VATSIM pilots, get a new tool - the command .wallop . Please, read it with care before you start to use that.

1. The purpose of the command

To send a message (usually a help request) to ALL LOGGED SUPERVISORS ONLINE

2. The usage

Type .wallop {your message} in the comm window of SB3.1 (does NOT work with previous versions of SB or with FSInn).

For example:

.wallop I need some help here

The message will be displayed in the comm window in ASRC or VRC of all logged supervisors (worldwide).

After sending a .wallop you should WAIT - a free SUP will contact you on private chat and will offer his/her [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance. Any further communication with the SUP should be done on chat (.msg not .wallop).

3. When to use it

Use it always if you need some help from the Supervisor.

Therefore it's important what's the role of an SUP:

a) to help users with general connection problems

b) to provide some basic information how to use VATSIM for newbies

c) to act if VATSIM Code of Conduct, Code of Regulations, User Agreement or any regional, divisional or ARTCC/VACC/FIR written policies are broken

First two are quite simple. Please remember, that we do not provide software specific help! While we can help with basic thinks, we use different pilot clients, different aircrafts and sceneries. We may not know how to switch the transponder in the Falcon 50 freeware aircraft ect.

The c) needs some explanation. The key is the sentence from the User Agreement you have accepted:

3.1 VATSIM does not care to engage in the constant policing of it’s users.

That means that SUPs will not take any disciplinary action against any pilot as long as he is not hindering the enjoyment of VATSIM for other users.

So DO NOT call us if you see another pilot is doing some navigational mistakes or not using proper phraseology or is using the wrong runway ect. Also DO NOT call us if an ATC is instructing you to hold and you see no reason for that or if you had a near miss due to ATC error.

However YOU SHOULD call us if someone is intercepting your aircraft despite you do not wish that or if the ATC is not responding to your requests despite the fact you are waiting for a long time.

If you have any questions about the usage of .wallop, do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

MJZ

Best regards,
Michael "Zulus" Zazula

1832284255_Beznazwy.png.8fdb60cd0b9a70a54b993f005487e8ca.png
Visit pl-vacc.org.pl  | Welcome to Polish virtual airspace!

• 7 months later...
Tim Slater 883355
Posted
Posted

I thought .wallop was a server-side thing and not dependant ö the client used and so would work on any vatsim client? Maybe not

Tim

1464.pngcpu.gif

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

It is also client side dependant in that if the client doesnt have a command available to it then it wont send that to the server in the first place.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

• 3 months later...
Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

I had a VATSIMmer tell me today that he was told that supervisors generally ignore wallop calls.

THAT IS FALSE!

Every wallop call is answered when there is a supervisor online.

If your wallop call goes unanswered and you know there is a supervisor online (must be logged in with a supervisor rating, though not necessarily with a callsign ending in _SUP) I think that Michael Zazula would like to hear about it.

Now there are times when not a single supervisor is online. During those times wallop calls will go unanswered. Do your best to deal with the situation in a professional and kind manner in all cases, but especially when a supervisor is not around to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist. Do docomeent the case as best you can and forward the information to a supervisor promptly. There is a chance we can help after the fact, especially if it is well docomeented by multiple members and the offense is serious.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

• 4 months later...
Gabor Illes 1028502
Posted
Posted

hello

IM VERY HAPPY THIS IS VERY FANTASTIC

SEE AGAIN FOR THE SKY

• 7 months later...
Terence Jefferies 1005527
Posted
Posted

Intereasting choice in command title ".wallop" not .help? lol

f7a3606ad0.gif

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

There are two types of messages - wallop and wall, the latter being what a Supervisor uses for broadcasts.

Ignoring the initial letter w you have ALL and ALLOP. ALL meaning that the message goes to ALL and the other being ALL OPerators (Supervisors).

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Ohh, so the original intention of the command title wasn't in this sense:

WALLOP

• impact: a forceful consequence; a strong effect; "the book had an important impact on my thinking"; "the book packs a wallop"
  • whack: hit hard; "The teacher whacked the boy"
  • a severe blow;

David Baker 1004102
Posted
Posted

The wall command comes from the linux/unix world (maybe earier?) and is an abbreviation of Write ALL. It's used to write a message on the screens of other users. The op part is short form from the old bbs system for OPerator.

At least that's my take on it.

ZMP_BD

MITRE OP1 survivor

• 3 months later...
Abdelrahman M. Elfeky 1044
Posted
Posted

Many thanks for the Topic ,

My best Regards,,,

s5_logo.png

• 2 weeks later...
Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

David: Yes it is from the unix world, or todays linux world.. but it is specifically borrowed from IRC, which would make it older than linux...

Wayne Conrad 989233
Posted
Posted

Is this command available in xsquawkbox?

ZLA Pilot Certs make your eyes bright, your teeth white, and childbirth a pleasure. Get yours today!

• 1 year later...
Julian Hoffman 850174
Posted
Posted

I'm not a supervisor, but I can say this, as a controller and a pilot. Use .wallop only when you really need to. The supervisors have a lot on their plate, and it shouldn't be used as a chat tool.

Julian Hoffman

ZAN ARTCC - DATM

VATSIM Hit Squad Member

VATSIM Network Supervisor

• 2 months later...
Michael Wells 988217
Posted
Posted

It's a great addition concept to SB3 but unfortunately also brings with it substantial potential for improper usage, as in reverse faux Never Cry Wolf conduct. This SB3 feature would appear to involve Vatsim pilots in uncontrolled airspace with no ATC to contact, and member pilots who have the option of temporarily logging off SB3 to continue their flight in peace of mind if accosted or inconvenienced by some jerk. There's always a secondary option to these unfortunate quandaries that do occur.

The only time I would .wallop as ATC would be because the situation was too urgent to sift through the who's online and send a PM. Any rationale to even contact a SUP as ATC, whether PM or wallop, has to cross a justifiable threshold. I never take it lightly.

The SUPs do respond in a timely manner, but all members must understand that these SUPs are brand new to the conflict and takes time to adjudge whom is in the wrong, or if any are. As a pilot, the obligation is to the aircraft's safety, despite simulated, which means commencing whatever course of action is needed to avoid conflict. It's harder for ATC because all they can do is inform other a/c of a problem a/c and its location until a SUP bounces off the network. In every case, the wallop, from ATC or pilot, is not something to be treated lightly.

David Klain 874106
Posted
Posted

Not sure why this old post was resurrected, but let's make something clear...

.wallop is NOT something to fear. It is simply a way for an ATC or pilot to get [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance from a supervisor. It is NOT just for conflicts (although that is what most people use it for)... Supervisors are on the network to provide [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance and ensure things on the network go smoothly.

Think of .wallop the same way as pushing a "help button".

As mentioned, the message will go out to all supervisors presently connected and then one of them will contact you as soon as possible. It may take some time as sometimes there are only a few supervisors on the network and they may be tied up with another issue, but they should get to you in a reasonably quick manner.

Don't fear using the .wallop command.

Dave

• 2 months later...
Edward Longe 1129455
Posted
Posted

Is it possible to .wallop people in VRC? If so, how?

Austrian VACC Member

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

.wallop

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

yes, same way as the others

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
Is this command available in xsquawkbox?

Yep.

http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xsb/node/9

8942.png

• 1 month later...
Neil Byrnes 1036876
Posted
Posted

i'm not very happy with how this feature has been implemented. recently a controlled had me holding short for traffic that was on LONG final, like 3NM, and I used .wallop to report him but nothing came of it

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Neil,

It is possible that no Supervisors were online at the time you used .wallop. Next time, check the online list. There must be a Supervisor online to respond to the .wallop call.

Secondly, no Supervisor is going to admonish a controller because he had you hold short for traffic on 3 mile final. That's no violation of VATSIM rules.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
i'm not very happy with how this feature has been implemented. recently a controlled had me holding short for traffic that was on LONG final, like 3NM, and I used .wallop to report him but nothing came of it

you serious? you call 3nm "long"?

lots of learning to do. suggest starting out by reading the CoC and CoR.

.wallop isnt there because ATC has asked you to hold. doesnt matter if theres someone on final or not, if they ask you to hold, you hold, they may have to deal with someone else before they can get to you.

patience is a virtue

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

There are any number of reasons why you could have been held for traffic on a 3NM final. Some of those might include, from the home office in Oklahoma City:

10. The controller may have had to deal with someone else.

9. The controller may have been tied up briefing a controller taking over his position.

8. The controller may have been coordinating with another controller.

7. The controller may have been getting a release for your flight.

6. The controller may have been on his or her way back from the "little controller's room" (bathroom).

5. The controller may have been bound by wake turbulence separation rules to not allow you to take off.

4. Depending on the approach speed of the other aircraft, it could have taken him 22 seconds to land, yet could have taken you 25 seconds to take off, leaving NEGATIVE 3 seconds of margin, a new welded art structure on the runway, lots of reporters to hide from, a lot of virtual wakes and funerals to attend, and a lifetime of shame and misery.

3. The controller may have been concerned about the other pilot's proficiency and ability to slow down enough not to crawl up your exhaust pipe.

2. The controller may have been concerned about YOUR proficiency and ability to take off with another aircraft on 3 mile final.

and, the number one reason why the controller may have had you holding for traffic on just a 3 mile final:

1. The controller may have been busy .walloping a Supervisor asking for tips on how to effectively deal with an overly impatient pilot (just kidding, no controller would ABUSE the .wallop command, reserved for extreme situations where actual violations of the CoC or CoR are causing an imminent issue).

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted
4. Depending on the approach speed of the other aircraft, it could have taken him 22 seconds to land, yet could have taken you 25 seconds to take off, leaving NEGATIVE 3 seconds of margin, a new welded art structure on the runway, lots of reporters to hide from, a lot of virtual wakes and funerals to attend, and a lifetime of shame and misery.

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Gomes
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Just a quick note. As supervisors we are where to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist users, both pilots and controllers. To help and provide a smooth environment where everybody can enjoy our hobby. We aren’t here for judge or access a pilot or ATCO skills. That is, as ATCO is concerned, part of local vACC job, not ours.

As a supervisor, if called for such a situation, most likely I will do nothing about this, other than an attendance check. If the controller answer the call, no further action taken.

As someone already said, patience is a virtue

Cheers,

Daniel Gomes

• Mats Edvin Aaro unpinned this topic