You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

STAR selection logic

Harry Sugden

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

At present, when a flight plan route string includes a STAR (with no runway specified) - for example, ...LOGAN LAM3A - and there is more than one runway available on this STAR, EuroScope will select the first STAR/runway entry specified in the sector file, regardless of the active runway.

STAR:EGLL:27R:LAM3A:LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM FI27R RW27R
STAR:EGLL:27L:LAM3A:LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM FI27L RW27L
STAR:EGLL:09R:LAM3A:LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM FI09R RW09R
STAR:EGLL:09L:LAM3A:LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM FI09L RW09L

So, EuroScope will always select LAM3A landing runway 27R for any route string that ends in LAM3A, regardless of the active runway for arrivals in EuroScope.

Would it be possible for EuroScope to cross check the active arrival runway(s) with STAR entries, and to, in the first instance, allocate the arrival runway and STAR for which matches that of the runways in use?

(Thanks Gergely!)

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

No nonsense controlling Twitch - HazControl ✈️

@HVatsim

Vitaliy Balabanets 1209816
Posted
Posted

ES looking for first (in list) STAR or SID available for first active runway.

ES will find and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign fisrt found STAR for first of active RWYs.

Jonas Kuster
Posted
Posted

I can only agree with Vitaliy. This is already implemented since I can think of. It could only be that you have not properly selected the active arrival runway.

Jonas Kuster
Network Supervisor
Leader Operation vACC Switzerland | vacc.ch @vaccswitzerland
GNG Support Team | gng.aero-nav.com
ES Plugin Developer | CCAMS

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

I don’t think you’ve quite understood my explanation, perhaps because in the UK we have the same STAR name for ALL runways?

So in the case where the WILLO3B for 26L and 08R are both in the ese file, and the pilot has put WILLO3B in their flight plan route string, EuroScope will select WILLO3B 26L if it comes before the entry for 08R in the ese. This is done regardless of the runway in use according to the runway dialog. So it’s fine when the active runway is 26L but not when 08R.

Some more useful background to the perhaps specific problem to the UK, but logic that would not be unwelcome in EuroScope in any case: https://github.com/VATSIM-UK/UK-Sector-File/commit/0846660eca6fd136ed87e0830f000e6c5b6f7962

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

@HVatsim

Sachin Gnath
Posted
Posted
I don’t think you’ve quite understood my explanation, perhaps because in the UK we have the same STAR name for ALL runways?

So in the case where the WILLO3B for 26L and 08R are both in the ese file, and the pilot has put WILLO3B in their flight plan route string, EuroScope will select WILLO3B 26L if it comes before the entry for 08R in the ese. This is done regardless of the runway in use according to the runway dialog. So it’s fine when the active runway is 26L but not when 08R.

Some more useful background to the perhaps specific problem to the UK, but logic that would not be unwelcome in EuroScope in any case: https://github.com/VATSIM-UK/UK-Sector-File/commit/0846660eca6fd136ed87e0830f000e6c5b6f7962

If you activate the runway in ES then the problem should be solved AFAIU.

If this issue still remains, then the best way to solve this problem would be by adding a letter code with STAR in your ESE file.

For instance:

STAR:EGLL:27R:LAM3Ax27R:LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM FI27R RW27R
STAR:EGLL:09L:LAM3Ax09L:LOGAN TRIPO SABER BRASO LAM FI09L RW09L

Hope this helps.

Regards, 

S G

Harry Sugden
Posted
Posted

Activate the runway? I'm not sure I understand. I would always have an active runway set...?

Thanks for the suggestion, though I would say this isn't about finding an urgent solution. It's just a little hiccup in the logic of EuroScope that I'm suggesting could be addressed - we're just about managing to manually change the runway each time so we can continue doing that for now!

ATC Examiner, VATSIM UK

@HVatsim

• 1 month later...
Philip Harris
Posted
Posted

Hey Harry, I'm having exactly the same issue with SID's at KATL. No matter the runway, the SID name is the same in the US.

ES does not select the correct SID based on the selected active runways in the "Active airport/runway selector dialog". The selected active runways seem to make no difference in my tests.