You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Losing connection seemingly randomly

Juan Martty 1437795

Juan Martty 1437795
Posted
Posted

So the issue is the following, I seem to be getting disconnected from voice rooms randomly. Sometimes it'll be after 5 mins sometimes more, sometimes less. I don't get any visible errors and the only way to fix it is to re-set the frequency. I checked on this URL http://rw.liveatc.net:18009/?opts=-R-D that I indeed appear there with the "right" port. But at some point I disappear from that listing from the frequency I'm in. Any ideas?

EDIT: I have tried disabling firewall and also setting the IP in my router as the DMZ (which I tested, the ports were indeed all open). Issue is still happening

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

Juan, you may have already tried this, but is the specific UDP port 3290 forwarded through your router to the computer you're using? I can't quite tell from your post if you've already done that.

As far as I know, that's the reason (and only usual reason) for voice dropping out.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

It is indeed normally that. Setting your computer local IP address as DMZ should work (at least from what I can understand), but we never know... try forwarding THAT specific UDP port to your machine and ensure there is no firewall set, timeout set, and (you might want to try this just to discard) disable temporarily any antivirus software you might have.

Just for reference: viewtopic.php?p=529044#p529044

Me.

Juan Martty 1437795
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yes, I've tried all of that: disabled firewall, set my machine as DMZ (which forwards all incoming traffic to my machine, on all ports, which I also tested and is working correctly). I'll try forwarding that specific port and see if that works.

The weird thing is I'm losing text also, which I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume is TCP not UDP.

Quick question, is it known if the new VATSIM voice will still use UDP?

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
The weird thing is I'm losing text also, which I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume is TCP not UDP.

Mmmm, do you lose the actual connection too, by any chance? Do you stop seeing other traffics?

Me.

Juan Martty 1437795
Posted
Posted

Mmmm, do you lose the actual connection too, by any chance? Do you stop seeing other traffics?

No, everything else works fine as in: can see other traffic, and I don't need to re-connect to vatsim to make it work again. The only fix is to recycle the frequency by rejoining the voice room

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Strange... that's as much as I can help, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Me.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid I'm stumped too...

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Yes, it will be using BOTH protocols.

Me.

Juan Martty 1437795
Posted
Posted

Yes, it will be using BOTH protocols.

Well, that's a shame. I hope this issue is fixed with the next version of VATSIM voice

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

The issue has nothing to do with VATSIM haha. The rest of users on the network are mostly able to use voice with no problems (other than the lag & quality)

Me.

Juan Martty 1437795
Posted
Posted
The issue has nothing to do with VATSIM haha. The rest of users on the network are mostly able to use voice with no problems (other than the lag & quality)

Oh for sure, just that it seems to be an issue with my modem which I find it very hard to change because of my ISP and if the new voice system didn't use UDP the problem wouldn't exist. Thanks for all the replies

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Oh for sure, just that it seems to be an issue with my modem which I find it very hard to change because of my ISP and if the new voice system didn't use UDP the problem wouldn't exist. Thanks for all the replies

Please don't try to second-guess engineering - voice systems (all of them - Discord, Ventrillo, Mumble/Murmur and Teamspeak alike) prefer UDP for the voice transport because the TCP retry behaviour destroys latency control and reliable timing.

Yes, there are problems caused by dodgy equipment vendors and ISPs, and there are mitigation known today - not all of this was understood when the current VATSIM voice system was written and retrofitting these mitigations is not always possible.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Juan Martty 1437795
Posted
Posted

Please don't try to second-guess engineering - voice systems (all of them - Discord, Ventrillo, Mumble/Murmur and Teamspeak alike) prefer UDP for the voice transport because the TCP retry behaviour destroys latency control and reliable timing.

You're quite right! I was thinking about SCTP actually

Yes, there are problems caused by dodgy equipment vendors and ISPs, and there are mitigation known today - not all of this was understood when the current VATSIM voice system was written and retrofitting these mitigations is not always possible.

One can hope that at least some of these mitigations make their way to the new VVS

• 1 month later...
Patrick Maartense
Posted
Posted

I have the same issue

and what I think it is related to xplane and dual monitor, xplane looising focus will cause xsb to loose the connection unless you "re-open" the channel either by openign your mic or by resetting the freq.

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Generally speaking vPilot works for me OK after opening the relevant ports, etc. However while on a frequency I often stop hearing the other party (ATC) and by pressing the PTT button generally brings it back. Last Saturday I was on a frequency and suddenly got a message from Controller asking me to contact him, it seems he had issued an instruction to me which I never heard even though literally a couple of minutes earlier we could hear each other perfectly. Something is dropping the connection. My sim PC has no antivirus and Windows Defender is disabled permanently (Windows 10 64 Pro.) Been living with this for a long time and find it hard to believe that it only happens to a few users.

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Joaquin, those are the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic symptoms of a port timeout. Suggest you recheck your port forwarding and/or Windows Firewall settings. Though this is the XSB forum, I wrote up some troubleshooting steps regarding port forwarding in the vPilot Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Troubleshooting Guide. Suggest you click to open, search for 3290 to bring you to the relevant sections faster, and just doublecheck your port forwarding and/or Windows Firewall settings using those suggestions.

Don Desfosse

Patrick Maartense
Posted
Posted

I have found the solution to the problem

I forgot to activate related and established UDP Traffic in my (private Linux ) firewall

Rge XSquakbox manual is a good help actually..

Patrick Maartense
Posted
Posted

thinking I had it complete with the established rule, i was wrong again, Standard stream timeout values are set to 180 secs in Linux

that could be not enough to be recognized as stream

therefor I have altered the value to 1800 (30 minutes)

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $INETPORT -s $LAN ! -d $LAN -j MASQUERADE.

iptables -I INPUT -j ACCEPT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED

iptables -I FORWARD -j ACCEPT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED

sysctl -w net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream=1800

modify for your own needs.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thank you for sharing with the community; hopefully this helps others as well!

Don Desfosse

• 3 weeks later...
Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Rge XSquakbox manual is a good help actually..

I certainly aim to make it as useful as I can by revising material that people have obviously read, and wasn't clear enough to help them.

I'll probably rewrite the manual completely for 1.4 at this rate (it was only a reformat when I made the current format we have at the moment - all the content was taken from the original XSB 1.2 manual and only minor things fixed) -it's been apparent for a while that the old format isn't working, and I need to make it available separately from the download so more people read it.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.