You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Still with router problems

Lowell Bittinger 904551

Lowell Bittinger 904551
Posted
Posted

After reading through most of the threads here and going through the Linksys tutrorial that Mark Brummett put together to configure my router, am still having problems setting up SB3.1 to run with my FS2004.

Are there any other diagnostics or other options that I might try to help this?

I am running the DirectPlay8 test in DXDIAG and it comes back with that step 9 error that is often discussed.

Have been away from SB for about 1-2 yrs, and am ready to get back to it.

Thanks in advance for any help! I have the Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

George Anopov 895164
Posted
Posted

Whan exact problem do you have.

Lowell Bittinger 904551
Posted
Posted

When running the DirectPlay8 Test Result in DXDIAG, I get the following error:

"DirectPlay Test Results: Failure at Step 9 (Creating Session) Step 9. HRESULT = 0x80158185 error code"

SB won't load and I get one of those Microsoft Errors and asks me to "SEND" or "NO SEND".

I have tried so many things, thanks for helping.

• 3 weeks later...
Bryan Ingram 969666
Posted
Posted

I have the same error occurring and just the other day it was working fine!!!? What's wrong???Here's what shows and what you said about the error 9 occurring happens to me also and can't figure out what's wrong...

untitledbh3.png

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted

Please verify that you've disabled UPnP both in services (if running XP or 2000) and on the router setup. I know it's in the tutorial, but I do know of people who 'skip steps', whether trying to rush through it, or just missing it by mistake.

Also, do you have any software firewall or antivirus or both?

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Bryan Ingram 969666
Posted
Posted

Both...so I have disabled or checked the UPNP on the system services but where is the other thing you were talking about...?

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Myself i can not understand how a misconfigured router can 'cause failure to local connect to Mulitplayer . And i not understand those router configuration issues. But things can be strange in this world i've learn.

Myself i find no need at all to configure the router to connect SB3 to vatsim, but open and forward UDP 3290 / 3290 just to receive voice not broken.

Router "should" not interfere in a local PC connection to multiplayer (FS).

A local connection to FS Multiplayer can be interupted by a PC firewall or antivirus.

Antivirus may not seldom need to be uninstalled to be true disabled. Turn off antivirus from user-menu usually only turn a few option off.

As when use router with built in firewall, make sure disable all firewall in PC such as XP built in firewall.

Note it is considered as safe to connect to internet and use SB3 with only firewall, while it is good to have antivirus when use webreader and other common internet applications.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted
Both...so I have disabled or checked the UPNP on the system services but where is the other thing you were talking about...?

Do you have anything like Norton AV, McAfee etc. as an antivirus program? Some bork with the ability to create an MP session, but UPnP has been the biggest culprit I've found with the dreaded "Failure at Step 9" error, right behind McAfee's antivirus program.

Also, make sure SSDP is disabled in services, as shown in the tutorial.

Mark Brummett

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted
Myself i can not understand how a misconfigured router can 'cause failure to local connect to Mulitplayer . And i not understand those router configuration issues. But things can be strange in this world i've learn.

Myself i find no need at all to configure the router to connect SB3 to vatsim, but open and forward UDP 3290 / 3290 just to receive voice not broken.

Router "should" not interfere in a local PC connection to multiplayer (FS).

A local connection to FS Multiplayer can be interupted by a PC firewall or antivirus.

Antivirus may not seldom need to be uninstalled to be true disabled. Turn off antivirus from user-menu usually only turn a few option off.

As when use router with built in firewall, make sure disable all firewall in PC such as XP built in firewall.

Note it is considered as safe to connect to internet and use SB3 with only firewall, while it is good to have antivirus when use webreader and other common internet applications.

The Linksys series of routers have a known issue with UPnP that causes this problem for sure. If UPnP is enabled on the router, and enabled in services (which it is by default) then in trying to port open using UPnP calls, the router can't process it and throws a Failure 9. Once the services on the local machine and the option on the router are disabled, it usually corrects the problem. Forwarding ports is just a method of ensuring that the ports will be available. My tutorial has all the ports; they may not all be needed, as Ross Carlson has demonstrated before. Since these routers are using Stateful Packet Inspection, I trust the firewall the router is using simply because I know how IPtables works, and that's what the Linksys firmware for the WRT54G/GS series of routers (up to version4) uses.

I'm now using a third-party firmware which is all CLI and I have to create all the IPTables rules myself, but I'm a commandline geek like that.

Mark Brummett

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mark Brummett for sending some input on this. However it still not make sence. Im really not a terrific TCP expert but it is interesting to get some logic understanding of those issues.

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming we run SB3 at the same machine as FS (else Lowell Bittinger or someone hopefully should tell we speak about running SB3 at a second machine, that could make the issue logic).

The SquawkBox 3 User Manual above say "SquawkBox hosts this session so it can display planes in FS." i.e. clearly they mean FS Multplayer local PC connection at 127.0.0.1 and not connection to VATSIM via the router.

Ok then try disconnect the router from the PC, start FS and SB3, see if SB3 correct connect to FS Multiplayer. It should work fine as i have try it.

If the problem stay, the issue is not the router.

While if the problem (to create a local TCP-connection in the PC) only come when the router is connectet, thats a strange router to me. Does the router really destroy the local TCP-communication in the PC (?)

Usually UPnP are enabled in router (and sure yes turn it off).

While I recently re-installed XP SP1, and the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" are default Manual off in my XP.

Bryan Ingram 969666
Posted
Posted

Mark Brummett ,

Thanks for all of your help so far now could you tell me how to disable the SSDP??? I have McAfee and what do I need to do to make UPnP not a "culprit" Thanks!!!

Bryan

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted
I have McAfee

Use the forum Search-function at the top. Search for McAfee.

Matthew Treptau 957518
Posted
Posted

Have you guys tried winsockfix? I believe that might be the answers to your problem. I had the same thing happen when I first installed SB3 and it solved the problem. Give it a try, can't hurt. (and its free ) http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml