You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Suggestion area

Ronald Price

Ronald Price
Posted
Posted

Not sure where i could post a suggestion for vatsim, but i feel implementing controllers advising pilots of possible pilot deviations would help pilots get better. I know its a long shot but its just a suggestion

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

An admirable suggestion Ronnie and I would hope that many of the controllers here do just that already. But honestly, in the real world, if a controller "calls you out" to correct a deviation it is usually addended with "Advise when ready to copy a phone number to call" and that is not a pleasant phone conversation in most cases.

Better to sign up with, if you haven't already, an ATO and learn proper techniques so the "deviations" are minimal. I don't think any virtual pilot here...and probably controllers as well...will admit to never making a mistake here. It's part of the learning process. Best to make those mistakes under the tutelage of a reputable trainer than have ATC "call you out".

Personally, I only know of three pilots in VATSIM who have never made a mistake...Myself, Don Desfosse, and Andeas Fuchs...and honestly, I'm not so sure those two are telling the truth... (Just Kidding...I've made lots and yet they still let me fly...what a great place!!!)

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I thought I came close to making a mistake once, but I was incorrect....

Trust me, I've made plenty of mistakes, flying on VATSIM and in the RW. The keys are to make sure they aren't fatal, and as long as you got that part of the equation right, then to learn from every one!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted (edited)

Duplicated response

Edited by Guest

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

I'll generally private message a pilot under those circomestances when their not in a critical phase of flight. It gets mixed responses to be honest, but it's generally a favorable conversation. I think I just initiate the conversation with the hope that they'll learn something or leave with something to reference for their next time out. Just had an easy one last night. VFR pilot Nxxxx, destination is reporting IMC, VFR flight not recommended, say intentions. VFR pilot opted to continue VFR into IMC conditions. What can you do. Not necessarily an airspace bust, although I see those often, but still educational.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
VFR pilot Nxxxx, destination is reporting IMC, VFR flight not recommended, say intentions. VFR pilot opted to continue VFR into IMC conditions. What can you do.

It's also possible they intentionally were not simulating the IMC -- although I've always recommended adding a remark in the flight plan AND advising the controller when I'm simulating different weather conditions than current real-world observations, I'm sure many pilots do so without alerting ATC, and there's nothing in the CoC suggesting they shouldn't.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png