You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Questions regarding transatlantic and Arctic flights

Brian Fernandez

Brian Fernandez
Posted
Posted

I have flown routes that cross the Atlantic as well as doing a non-real flight between EGLL - PANC which my flight was within the Arctic circle, however I never done these flights before on vatsim yet so...

1. Will I still need oceanic clearance if I'm flying over Greenland / Northern Canada?

2. Similar to the question above, will I need some sort of clearance, like oceanic clearance, to fly within the Arctic circle? I'm planning on doing EGLL to PANC and back on Vatsim soon

3. What would I say to an oceanic controller if he/she has come online and I'm already in the middle of my NAT track?

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

Brian,

1. No, not unless your route takes you through Shanwick Oceanic or Murmansk Oceanic.

2. Normal clearance should suffice. You would be under the successive control of London, Reykjavik, Nuuk, Edmonton and Anchrage FIR's.

3. Just give them your position report.

Quig, C3, P1, VATPAC, CZQM (inact), CZQX (ret).

4200+ hrs of "Chaos, Panic & Disorder in your virtual skies!"

0.png

Phillip Speer
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Reykjavik contains both domestic and oceanic airspace, details can be found here. You will need to obtain oceanic clearance as if not entering Shanwick then you will be entering Reykjavik Oceanic. BGGL_FSS (Søndrestrøm Information) only controls FL195 and below.

Phillip

VATSIM UK Divisional Instructor

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted
Brian,

1. No, not unless your route takes you through Shanwick Oceanic or Murmansk Oceanic.

2. Normal clearance should suffice. You would be under the successive control of London, Reykjavik, Nuuk, Edmonton and Anchrage FIR's.

An oceanic clearance is required for entry into any of the FIRs ENOB, BIRD, and BGGL. The only way to fly between the UK and Alaska and not obtain a oceanic clearance from a NAT-unit is to go via Murmansk, a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive detour (see pic). All the NAT units have slight variations in oceanic procedures though, and since you're likely to end up entering the NAT OCA through BIRD, I suggest you go with Phillip's advice.

8F4zXbb.jpg

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

Now that I did NOT know!

The Oceanic Clearance

As all of the Reykjavik CTA is technically cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ified as oceanic airspace, all pilots entering and departing

Iceland MUST request oceanic clearance.

Quig, C3, P1, VATPAC, CZQM (inact), CZQX (ret).

4200+ hrs of "Chaos, Panic & Disorder in your virtual skies!"

0.png

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

NAT High Level Airspace is from FL285-FL420 in this region

JCUHXZD.png

Check the Transport Canada AIM, there is an entire NAT section. Also includes stuff on polar ops.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docomeents/ca-publications/AIM_2018-2_EN-ACCESS.pdf

New York ARTCC

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted

And that picture is just the MNPS area (now renamed HLA for High Level Airspace), a section of airspace which demands certain navigation capabilities. Below that it's still controlled airspace which requires clearances to enter. The picture doesn't even show ENOB which, whilst having not too many routes through it per day compared to the other NAT FIRs, still is a giant slab of Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A airspace from FL195 up. Meanwhile all of EGGX is Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A FL055 up if memory serves.

Check out ICAO doc 007 for the rulebook on NAT