You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATSIM Voice Codec Test Videos!

Rob Nabieszko

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

Hi Randy,

Feel free to ask for an account on https://dev.swift-project.org. We restricted access to alpha testing since the group is big enough, however specific groups like FS9 or Linux/Mac testers are still wanted. You can read more about it on https://blog.swift-project.net/

Make sure to follow the naming convention when registering otherwise I cannot identify and approve your request and access to the download.

To answer the 32 bit question: we offer 32 bit and 64 bit installers. They both run fine on 64 bit windows. Some dependent libraries like SimConnect or FSUIPC were offered 32 bit options only. FSUIPC User library is now also available in 64 bit so maybe FS9 could also be available in the 64 bit installer. That’s independent from the fact that FS9 itself is 32 bit only.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Roland,

I just finished the registration process after considerable reading at the Swift site. As far as following "naming conventions" the only thing I did not do, although I wanted to, was add my VATSIM ID in paranthesis. Reason? There seemed no logical place to put it. Placing it in my username would have made for a comebersome username I felt and placing it in the "Real Name" block would have been false as "RANDY TYNDALL (1087023)" is not my "real name", but "RANDY TYNDALL" is...

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

I've downloaded the Windows 64-bit version 0.8.7.81260022 exe and will try to use it in FS2004 to see if that works as Roland suggested it could. If not I will go back and grab the 32-bit installer as Andreas has. So far the 64-bit installer is setting up what seems to be normally. Still working through the setup and model matching. Only issue so far is the button to start the GUI is not clickable, but pressing starts it. Haven't connected to VATSIM yet.

Oh, and Roland, I changed my "REAL NAME" profile entry to include my VATSIM ID.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey Randy,

welcome to the gang. Best is if you'd join us on swift's "Slack-channel", you should have received information about it. That's probably the most appropriate place to troubleshoot

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

Randy,

I’ve sent you an invitation to slack. Let’s continue there and not hijack this thread anymore.

Just one thing: don’t try the 64 bit installer with FS9. It doesn’t work because the FS2004 module is not built for 64 bit and not included in the installer. So don’t waste your time and go for the 32 bit.

Above I was just thinking loud that theoretically I could be able to get the 64 bit module built, not that it works out of the box. Sorry for this confusion.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Joined "Slack" and left a message. Still navigating both the Slack Site and Swift...all further comms will be on Slack and apologies for the hijack of the Codec thread, but one last question...once finalized will the new codec work with Swift and, therefore, FS2004? An answer on the Slack message board will suffice.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

Rob Nabieszko
Posted
Posted

Wow. What a bees nest I kicked up.

First off: I am not part of VATSIM's tech team. I was just lucky enough to be invited to the test. So I am not setting VATSIM policy. Just trying to reiterate points I had read in various blog posts and forums.

Second: From what I have been told and read, VATSIM is not seeking to exclude any sim platforms. However, VATSIM does not actually develop clients, only protocols for them to connect to. One thing that was made fairly clear is that the clients will all need an update for the new system. Clients that are not under active development will no longer be useable. I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that the FS9 clients had been abandoned. I am very happy to be proven wrong. This community values all its members.

So I am sorry if I stirred up any resentment in the FS9 users, and I am glad you have been connected to your client developers and beta testers.

Now we just need to get the actual system running.

Rob

Rob Nabieszko | VATCAN3

Director of Training, VATCAN

[email protected]

18.png

Dominic Russell 866138
Posted
Posted

So I am sorry if I stirred up any resentment in the FS9 users

Rob

Hi Rob

Quite the opposite. Now there will be more fs9 testers so more chance of fs9 living on with vatsim .

19.png