You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Ghost" TCAS traffic

Richard Asberg

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

I'm doing all my flying in the Zibo 737-800X and one thing I would be more than happy if there was a way to fix is how I get constant "ghost" traffic on my TCAS triggering both TAs and even RAs sometimes.

I'm guessing the traffic I get are XP aircraft since as I recall it from back when I was setting up XSquawkbox, you had to keep AI aircraft in XP for Vatsim aircraft to show up or something along those lines.

Is there anything you can do about this to avoid all these fake TAs and RAs not triggered by other online aircraft on Vatsim?

Richard Åsberg

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted

Make sure you do not have anything else installed that is preventing XSquawkBox from taking sole control of the AI aircraft system (such as another pilot client or a world traffic plugin - using the plugin manager to disable such things after startup isn't enough). There will be a telltale error message in your X-Plane log.txt if this is the problem.

When XSB has sole control, it adjusts the number of active AI aircraft slots to reflect the number of nearby aircraft it's reporting. If that's all working fine, it's possibly a bug in the Zibo's TCAS implementation.

A rework of the TCAS traffic reporting is planned (see an earlier post about fetching aircraft data), but no time since I still haven't heard back on some key information from LR.

XSquawkBox - Developer/Maintainer

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Since I'm not using any other plugins related to traffic, I guess the problem then is with the Zibo mod. I know this has been mentioned also by flightdeck2sim when doing his streams in the Zibo mod.

Thanks for the info though and let's hope this issue will eventually be addressed further down the road.

Could you please just confirm what the correct setting for AI aircraft in XP11 (v11.26) is? Checking the docomeentation for XSquawkbox it talks about selecting at least 8 aircraft under rendering settings. Would this be the same as AI aircraft when setting up a new flight from the main menu in XP11?

Richard Åsberg

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Could you please just confirm what the correct setting for AI aircraft in XP11 (v11.26) is? Checking the docomeentation for XSquawkbox it talks about selecting at least 8 aircraft under rendering settings. Would this be the same as AI aircraft when setting up a new flight from the main menu in XP11?

Yes. The location referenced is where it was controlled in X-Plane 10 and earlier.

It predominantly affects the TCAS reporting as XSB [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes the number of aircraft it can set is limited to the number enabled when it starts as this limitation applies to XP 10 and earlier.

Please post any support related questions to the XSquawkBox support forum rather than private messaging me, thanks.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Ok, so how many AI aircraft should I set in XP11?

Richard Åsberg

Christopher Collins
Posted
Posted
Ok, so how many AI aircraft should I set in XP11?

To the greater of however many aircraft you want considered for TCAS (I recommended at least 4 - 8 is not a bad count) or the maximum number of ACF models you want available to XSB (for most people that's 0 - the CSL/OBJ8 rendering paths are used most now, and they do not require AI aircraft slots).

If you set no AI aircraft, then no traffic information about VATSIM aircraft can be made available to the simulator for TCAS determination.

If you set it too low, in a high traffic environment, XSB may not send the right traffic contacts for TCAS to make a reasonable determination.

The more you set, the slower XP11 will be to start up unfortunately as it will load ACFs for each AI slot.

Richard Asberg
Posted
Posted

Ok, thanks for the info.

Guess I'll play around with this setting and see what value I end up with.

Richard Åsberg