You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Invalid CID / Password

Jeffery Poblocki 1443193

Jeffery Poblocki 1443193
Posted
Posted

Okay, I have been trying to connect for like 3 or 4 days now. I am short of going to another atc provider because no matter what i do I am unable to connect to my account. First of all, I think forcing us to use a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word we won't ever remember is just silly. I prefer to have my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words mean something not some randomly generated garbage a computer spit out one day. SO that could be part of the issue. I have changed my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word about 5 different times typed it in manually and copy and pasted it either way. Tried every client FSInn squawk box and vpilot and am unable to connect.

The gentleman from member services says he's able to connect just fine with my account information. My problem ony seems to be connecting thru the required pilot software. As you can see I have no problem connecting to the website and the forums. My problem is specifically Vpilot. And no I'm not an idiot, this isn't rocket science, yes I have checked rechecked and checked and rechecked my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and cid making sure there was no spaces and the capitals wherein the right spot.

I dont know what to do anymore. I have tried well over 100 times to connect to the servers just to get this every time:

[12:05:38] vPilot version 2.1.17

[12:05:38] Performing version check...

[12:05:39] Version check complete. You are running the latest version.

[12:05:39] Checking for updated model matching data...

[12:05:39] Model matching data check complete. You have the most up-to-date data.

[12:05:39] Checking for changes to installed models...

[12:05:40] No changes found.

[12:05:40] Model matching rules generated.

[12:05:40] Startup complete.

[12:05:40] Attempting simulator connection...

[12:05:40] Connected to simulator.

[12:05:45] Connecting to network...

[12:05:45] Connected to network.

[12:05:45] Network error: Invalid CID/p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word

[12:05:47] Disconnected from network.

\

Im about to write this off as a loss cause which sucks because I was looking forward to doing the ATC Controller on it, but if I cant ever get connected, then I cant control aircraft.

So any non sarcastic help would greatly be appericated. Anything like did you check your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word or cid please refain because yes i have checked them umpteen million times. What I am wondering is if maybe the firewall on my network might be blocking iether the software or the ports. DOes anyone know what ports vpilot uses? I dont use windows firewall I have a hardware firwall that is a entirely different computer. If I Signed up as Jeffery Poblocki and am Putting Jeff Poblocki in as my real name could that also cause a issue? I am not at home at the moment to test these theories so I must relay on the community for [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

Have you tried:

1. Typing in your CID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word by hand? Copying & pasting can introduce spaces which throw off the login in the client (but not the website)
  2. Tried a different server

If neither of the above solutions work then I am at a loss too...

Tomas Hansson

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Hi Jeffery, and welcome to VATSIM. I understand it must be really frustrating not to be able to get online.

The things you have tried seem to be the right things, but I'm wondering if you've overlooked the "server data push/sync within the first 24 hours" limitation.

The most common reasons for the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word not recognized error include:

1. Trying to log in within 24 hours of activating or reactivating an account, or a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word change. The servers are all linked, but membership data (including new and updates) only get pushed to each server every few hours (staggered throughout the day). We mention this on the Join and Member Support pages, but it's often overlooked in folks' zeal to get online.

It can take up to 24 hours for new or reactivated VATSIM membership records to be flowed to all of the distributed VATSIM servers, as the membership information is flowed to the servers via daily server synchronizations. If, within the first 24 hours, you cannot log onto the server of your choice, you may have to try different servers until you find one that has already been synchronized. You should only open a member support ticket if you still cannot log onto ANY server AFTER 24 hours has elapsed since your reactivation.

2. Copying and pasting the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, and inadvertently copying an extra space character at the end (I think it's a Windows thing (?) )

My thoughts, and I offer them respectfully since you seem to have already tried one or more of them but they address the most overlooked issues for most folks:

1. Particularly if it has been less than 24 hours since your last p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word reset, try connecting to a different server (or multiple different servers) until you find one that has had the updated membership data pushed. Even if it's more than 24 hours, this can't hurt to try. After 24 hours, you should be able to select any server.

2. During the troubleshooting process, it looks like you have obtained at least one new p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word. If so, PLEASE make sure that you completely clear out the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word field and type in the new p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, using extreme care to ensure often-misinterpreted characters like "1 vs. l" and "0 vs. O" are correct. (Seems like you've tried this, but I mention it respectfully because many dozens of members have said they did that over the years, yet came back a little sheepishly a post or two later mentioning that a space or a misinterpreted character was their downfall )

If you have changed your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word multiple times, and didn't notice the notes that are on the new member join and/or membership service pages that talk about the need to wait for up to 24 hours for the new p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word/credentials to be pushed to all servers, you may be "chasing" the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word credential pushes to the servers (i.e. set p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, try in less than 24 hours, fail, reset p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, try the new one in less than 24 hours, etc.). That has happened to others, so I offer that for your consideration. Again, as the credentials are flowed down at different times of the day to each of the servers, I suggest you go through the servers one-by-one (while completely clearing and carefully typing your latest p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word).

Please let us know how you make out!

EDIT: LOL, apparently I was typing for way longer than Tomas!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

To address the specific question about ports and firewalls, I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you that this is not a firewall problem. If the port was blocked, you would get a different error, or simply a timeout. The fact that you are getting the "Invalid CID/p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word" error means that you are connecting to the network just fine. It's simply the login that is failing.

• Like 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jeffery Poblocki 1443193
Posted
Posted
Have you tried:

1. Typing in your CID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word by hand? Copying & pasting can introduce spaces which throw off the login in the client (but not the website)
    I have tried typing it in and copying and pasting it. And I get the same result

2. Tried a different server

Yes, but I have only tried one server, maybe I need to try more.

Hi Jeffery, and welcome to VATSIM. I understand it must be really frustrating not to be able to get online.

The things you have tried seem to be the right things, but I'm wondering if you've overlooked the "server data push/sync within the first 24 hours" limitation.

The most common reasons for the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word not recognized error include:

1. Trying to log in within 24 hours of activating or reactivating an account, or a p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word change. The servers are all linked, but membership data (including new and updates) only get pushed to each server every few hours (staggered throughout the day). We mention this on the Join and Member Support pages, but it's often overlooked in folks' zeal to get online.

It has been about 2 days since I have changed my p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and I tried logging in several times into the vpilot client since the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word change over the past 24 hours. Maybe I am mistaking a 1 for a l or a 0 for a O. I doubt it but I will try that. I dont mean to sound like a dick in my post, but the help I was receiving kinda made me feeling like I was being called stupid because they kept repeating the same thing over and over like I didnt understand.

If I am wrong and I did mistake a character I will humbly apologize to the community that is just the way i was raised.

Jeff

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Jeff, don't worry. If it happens to be a silly mistake just beware we all make them . It'd be strange though, as you have been able to log into the Forums using it .

Now, regarding your problem. As stated in the other threads where people were in your same situation, the last 'solution' that was usually given after trying all those things was to open a ticket to the Membership Department (membership.vatsim.net). They might be able to help you, or at least it seems like so, as people never replied again to that post.

Let us know if you manage to do it!

Me.

Jeffery Poblocki 1443193
Posted
Posted

A format of the pc reinstall the os and then reinstall fsx and vpilot seemed to work. Dont know why but it works now.

• Like 1

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
If I Signed up as Jeffery Poblocki and am Putting Jeff Poblocki in as my real name could that also cause a issue? I am not at home at the moment to test these theories so I must relay on the community for [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello Jeff. Yes, absolutely, you need to be using the name you registered with. If you are using JEFF but signed up as JEFFERY the network will not recognize your name. I am hoping you will have solved the problem by the time you read this.

Ira Robinson

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
A format of the pc reinstall the os and then reinstall fsx and vpilot seemed to work. Dont know why but it works now.

Somewhat extreme measures there!! A complete format of the PC is a last resort, I am sure you could have solved your problem doing something more simple. Anyway at least your problem is fixed.

• 1 year later...
Chris Gilbert
Posted
Posted

So I've entered the correct CID and password given to me and I can not connect to the CANADA server. Why is this an issue right now?

Hugo Crochard
Posted
Posted

HI Guys,

I have the same issue, I am unable to connect on vPilot ... 

I recycled my passeword, checked if my account needed reactivating (It did not).

I just updated (as a lot of us) from FSX to MSFS 2020, did not change anything else on the computer, and updated vPilot but I cannot get my head around it.

Any idea ?

Cheers,

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Hi Hugo,

There is only one note on the Password Reset page, right in the middle of the screen 🙂 🙂 🙂  (just teasing a little, meant in a friendly manner):

It can take up to 24 hours (although normally much less) for new/updated membership information to be passed to all servers. Within the first 24 hours after registering, reactivating your account, or a password change, if your preferred server rejects your credentials, you are welcome to keep trying different servers in the hopes of finding one that will work

Your post was only a couple of hours after your password reset.  I can assure you that your account is active, and your new password is ready, and I'm assuming all servers actually have it at this point.

Welcome back!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 2 months later...
Marcus Joaquin
Posted
Posted (edited)

If your account is not active, reactivating your account will not help you. You will need to pass the new member orientation test to activate and use your account, those who do not know where is the new member orientation test it is located in : MY EXAMS if you fail the test you will need to re take it and it will take 1 hour to do it again, your vatsim account cannnot be used in VPILOT because it is inactive because you fail the test, if you pass the test your vatsim account can be used in VPILOT and your vatsim account will be active.

Edited by Marcus Joaquin

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

Marcus, the P0 is a fairly new requirement, and my understanding was that the P0 was automatically granted to anyone who already had a VATSIM account prior to mid-August 2020.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Marcus Joaquin said:

If your account is not active, reactivating your account will not help you. You will need to pass the new member orientation test to activate and use your account, those who do not know where is the new member orientation test it is located in : MY EXAMS if you fail the test you will need to re take it and it will take 1 hour to do it again, your vatsim account cannnot be used in VPILOT because it is inactive because you fail the test, if you pass the test your vatsim account can be used in VPILOT and your vatsim account will be active.

The test is only given to people registered after August 19th. It has nothing to do with inactive accounts aside from new registrations. 

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new