You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Remaining AFK While Long Flights

Aleck Covaci 1443372

Aleck Covaci 1443372
Posted
Posted

Hello! First off before starting, I want to say sorry if this has already been asked, or posted somewhere. Just want to be sure from others so I don't make a mistake or bother anyone.

I've been doing a lot of Continental flights for a while. Only through the USA or Canada. Yet I see people flying for 15 hours straight, like from Vancouver to Sydney or Auckland to Dubai. Mind I ask, how does everyone do this while staying online? Don't you get tired sitting in front of your computer? Or are you allowed after take off and once you reach cursing altitude to go AFK for the majority of the flight, say I take off at 10 PM, and come back in the morning at 9 AM?

Or maybe you have to contact a center controller, tell them radio services terminated, and keep flying and acknowledge yourself to the center at your arrival airport? Never the less I'd appreciate the clarification. Thanks guys!

Jim Davey
Posted
Posted

It's almost like this is covered in the code of conduct or something.

811224.png

Aleck Covaci 1443372
Posted
Posted

Oh alright, sorry about that, thanks, i'll make sure to look!

Aleck Covaci 1443372
Posted
Posted
It's almost like this is covered in the code of conduct or something.

Ok, took more time to read it now, I saw what it said, thanks for the help!

Aleck Covaci 1443372
Posted
Posted

Still gets me curious, how do people fly for 14 hours, I have a feeling they don't stick around for 30 min to 30 min, like that's a while of sitting in front of your computer...

Removed
Posted
Posted

VATSIM likes to see the members who are connecting as pilots or controllers actively participate. It is absolutely fine to take a short break while on a longer flight to get a snack and a drink, use the restroom or for any other reason really.

I would recommend taking breaks while flying in uncontrolled airspace. If you need one while flying in controlled airspace, ask ATC if you may step away. Usually they have no problem with that. Please do not however take extended breaks while flying under ATC.

Extended flights may be checked by Supervisors and Administrators. Repeated unattended connections may result in disciplinary action being taken against a member, and that is really not worth it. It is good that you have reviewed the CoC in this regard. Please note that in addition to CoC section A9, other sections also apply. Sections A14 and B3 come to my mind.

As long as you are at or in the vicinity of your computer during the majority of the flight, everything should be fine. If you are not able to conduct a long haul flight, opt for a shorter one, or disconnect for the period you are unable to remain at or near the computer.

Peter Lund
Posted
Posted

I do alot of long haul flights.

If they are overnights I normally take off and stay on for an hour or so before disconnecting for some rest and normally come back on 1-1½ hours prior to landing.

If it´s doing the day I tend to stay on the whole flight and watch some Netflix or DVD on my TV which is on the same desk or some other random stuff on my computer. If I need to be away for some time I´ll disconnect and reconnect when back.

I have seen alot of pilots flying online and staying online while sleeping ending up overflying their destination or running out of fuel.

Aleck Covaci 1443372
Posted
Posted
I do alot of long haul flights.

If they are overnights I normally take off and stay on for an hour or so before disconnecting for some rest and normally come back on 1-1½ hours prior to landing.

If it´s doing the day I tend to stay on the whole flight and watch some Netflix or DVD on my TV which is on the same desk or some other random stuff on my computer. If I need to be away for some time I´ll disconnect and reconnect when back.

I have seen alot of pilots flying online and staying online while sleeping ending up overflying their destination or running out of fuel.

Alright, thanks for the help guys! I appreciate the tips! I'll make sure to check them out!

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

Longhaul Checklist

1: make flightplan

2: set up flight deck

3: Depart into oceanic airspace

4: put on washing.

5: cook dinner

6: mop floor

7: put away clothes

8: respond to Supervisor (making sure your private message alert tone is nice and loud)

9: eat dinner

10: watch TV on the couch

11: wash dishes'

12: prepare arrival details and insert STAR into the FMS, set ILS frequency

13: look at vatspy/vattastic

14: land.

I sometimes even do some of those things while under ATC control (better if it's Oceanic ATC with SELCAL) ... EVEN ON A LIVE STREAM HAHAHA. (turn facecam off before leaving the seat)

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015