You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New computer help

Jamie Prince

Jamie Prince
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

Im wanting to get a computer to play FSX on but dont have a clue about computers. Some people have suggested getting one built specially for the game. I have looked on a couple of websites but no idea what to choose. I am looking at spending around £600.

Any help much appreciated.

Jamie

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

FSX and P3D require a good amount of processor power. Current version of P3D is 64 bit and you can take advantage of that, though you'll want a decent graphics card. I would strongly suggest, if you're building a new computer, to spring for P3D instead of FSX (or maybe try XPlane). FSX is 13 years old and no longer developer-supported. In order to really enjoy it, you'll likely need to spent quite a bit of time and some money upgrading it. Although P3D is evolution, not revolution, it's certainly newer, takes advantage of 64 bit, and is still supported and upgraded. I don't use XPlane so can't really comment on whether or not you can build a machine for just £600 and have it run reasonably well on XPlane. I'm not in the business of building machines, so don't really know what kind of quality you can get for just £600 -- but on the surface that seems really light to me to get any kind of "nice" simulation performance/visuals. As an example, a few months ago, I built a system that is extremely capable, has phenomenal performance and stunning visuals, but for 2X your stated budget. I used pcpartpicker.com to find the best prices. You mentioned £, so not sure if pcpricepicker is very applicable to your location or if there is something comparable where you are. No matter what, though, get the best processor that you can afford. Others who are closer to building machines and specs and values may be able to weigh in and give you some good advice. Good luck!

My specs: i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (delidded), GTX 1070ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD for Windows 10 and P3D, 6TB HDD for other stuff, Corsair H110 Liquid Cooled

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations