You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC in Ethiopia

Jan Galloix 1387654

Jan Galloix 1387654
Posted
Posted

Hello, I would like to ask if it's possible to be an air traffic controller in Ethiopia. I haven't seen much ATC there and I think there should be some ATC because more people have started to fly in Ethiopia.

Best regards

- Jan

Matthew McEwen
Posted
Posted
Hello, I would like to ask if it's possible to be an air traffic controller in Ethiopia. I haven't seen much ATC there and I think there should be some ATC because more people have started to fly in Ethiopia.

Best regards

- Jan

I totally agree, Ethiopia is desperately in need of ATC attention!

I see you don't currently have any ATC rating. Unfortunately, until there is a vACC established in Ethiopia, it is not possible to receive ATC training specifically there. My recommendation would be to join West Africa vACC and get training there, then when you have your rating you will automatically be able to control in Ethiopia as it is open airspace in the same division.

That being said, hopefully the incoming VATNAF Director will be open to establishing a vACC in Ethiopia. viewtopic.php?f=103&t=76935

• Like 1

Matt/Memet
C3 Senior Controller
Indonesia vACC - VATSIM South East Asia
Co-Founder of Garuda Virtual
gv_signature.png.ab75c890d06ff0fea8a77abf3bf2604a.png

Jan Galloix 1387654
Posted
Posted

I see you don't currently have any ATC rating. Unfortunately, until there is a vACC established in Ethiopia, it is not possible to receive ATC training specifically there. My recommendation would be to join West Africa vACC and get training there, then when you have your rating you will automatically be able to control in Ethiopia as it is open airspace in the same division.

That being said, hopefully the incoming VATNAF Director will be open to establishing a vACC in Ethiopia. viewtopic.php?f=103&t=76935

Hello, thank you for the reply. Regarding the vACC of Ethiopia there is an Ethiopia vACC already but do you know if it's actually active?

Here: https://vatame.vatme.net/vacc/HAAA

Thanks

- Jan

Matthew McEwen
Posted
Posted

Hello, thank you for the reply. Regarding the vACC of Ethiopia there is an Ethiopia vACC already but do you know if it's actually active?

Here: https://vatame.vatme.net/vacc/HAAA

Thanks

- Jan

There is no vACC in Ethiopia yet, it is an open FIR with no vACC, one of those pages exists for every FIR in the VATNAF division with no vACC (just replace HAAA with any other VATNAF FIR's ICAO code, you'll see what I mean).

As for if Ethiopia's active, no. Since 2012, Ethiopia has received 30 hours of ATC. In total. That's less than North Korea.

• Like 1

Matt/Memet
C3 Senior Controller

Johnny Coughlan
Posted
Posted

Matthew,

If there is no established vACC does that mean controllers from other divisions can control there(open FIR) if they've a sct file and charts?.

Or do they have to be in a 'African Division'?

I'm asking as a C1.

Chriss Klosowski
Posted
Posted

Only residents of the Northern Africa Division can control vACCs with no staff. They are considered as "OpenAirspace" last time I sent a ticket to get these approvals (I'm a resident in ME and not NAF) as a visitor I got a reply to wait until they appoint a Divisional ATD. So I suggest you wait until that is done. If you want to contact them send a ticket through here: https://hq.vatme.net/support/create

CHRISS KLOSOWSKI
Division Director, VATSIM Middle East & North Africa  
VATSIM Network Senior Supervisor, Team 5
##  [email protected] 
##
 http://vatsim.me/    

1185353147_Signature(1).png.e6818c4256541cb309a1888bad7c9d33.png

• 1 month later...
Matthew McEwen
Posted
Posted
Matthew,

If there is no established vACC does that mean controllers from other divisions can control there(open FIR) if they've a sct file and charts?.

Or do they have to be in a 'African Division'?

I'm asking as a C1.

Hi Johnny, sorry I didn't reply before now. Chriss is largely correct, but now that there is a new division staff complement in VATNAF they may be open to visitors controlling the open areas in their division (I certainly hope they are). Have you contacted them on the link that Chriss mentioned?

• Like 1

Matt/Memet
C3 Senior Controller