You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Transponder ON/OFF ?

Lennart Vedin

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I have long time ago read at VATSIM to set transponder OFF when not on the runway ( i.e. default if no other instructions). Since VATSIM only have one transponder mode available, is that the rule or do the rule vary at airports ? I read other at Sweden vat-site:

http://vatsim-scandinavia.org/pilots/airports/sweden/essa-stockholmarlanda/

"Use of transponder

The [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned transponder code shall be selected and the transponder activated at the request for push-back. After landing, the transponder shall remain activated until reaching the parking stand and be switched off immediately after parking."

Best regards Lennart Vedin

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

In the real world we operate our transponder from the moment we are ready to go at our parking at the point of departure until we arrive at the parking at destination. As you remarked, in the real world we can select different modes, notably Mode S only, with TCAS OFF.

Here in VATSIM it is a bit more complicated. In VATSIM-Europe, you normally operate your transponder ON as in the real world: when ready for engine start/pushback. In the US, I think, it is different and ATC may want you to keep it OFF until you reach the departure runway. But here someone from the US needs to chime in.

Me personally have been operating my XPDR ON all the time unless I am parked, just like in the real world. So far I have had no complaints from ATC.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
In the US, I think, it is different and ATC may want you to keep it OFF until you reach the departure runway. But here someone from the US needs to chime in.

In the US you turn in on prior to movement and off once you shut down. See page 2 for general guidance.

Departures. Select the transponder mode which allows altitude reporting and enable ADS-B (if equipped) during pushback. Select TA or TA/RA (if equipped) when taking the active runway.

Arrivals. Maintain or select (if TA or TA/RA equipped) transponder to the altitude reporting position and maintain ADS-B Out transmissions (if equipped) after clearing the active runway. Select STBY or OFF for transponder and ADS-B (if equipped) upon gate arrival.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

In the real world, yes. But on VATSIM, how do you US-ATCOs prefer it being done? Some ATCOs complain(ed) that they would suffer from too many targets on their screens. Although, Euroscope and probably also Ross' creations allow you to filter out those.

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted
In the real world, yes. But on VATSIM, how do you US-ATCOs prefer it being done? Some ATCOs complain(ed) that they would suffer from too many targets on their screens.

I don't really think it matters. If you're using vSTARS/vERAM (which a bunch of people are at the terminal/enroute environment), they won't show up until airborne (in radar coverage). As for VRC, there are ways around it showing up.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Perfect, that's what we needed to know. I know that I can filter it out in Euroscope, but I am not familiar with vSTARS/vERAM, so your expertise was needed.

Conclusion: on VATSIM turn your transponder ON as soon as you are ready to move (pushback, taxi) and keep it ON until reaching your final parking position. If an ATCO needs it OFF, he or she will tell you. Just like in the real world.

Tristan Garratt
Posted
Posted
In the real world we operate our transponder from the moment we are ready to go at our parking at the point of departure until we arrive at the parking at destination. As you remarked, in the real world we can select different modes, notably Mode S only, with TCAS OFF.

Here in VATSIM it is a bit more complicated. In VATSIM-Europe, you normally operate your transponder ON as in the real world: when ready for engine start/pushback. In the US, I think, it is different and ATC may want you to keep it OFF until you reach the departure runway. But here someone from the US needs to chime in.

Me personally have been operating my XPDR ON all the time unless I am parked, just like in the real world. So far I have had no complaints from ATC.

Places like KDEN, Wish for you to have MODE C on at all times whilst on the ground, ramp and runways.

Tristan Garratt

VATPAC C1

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Places like KDEN, Wish for you to have MODE C on at all times whilst on the ground, ramp and runways.

I'll go out on a limb and say that's the norm nearly everywhere within VATUSA.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

If the controller (e.g. at ESSA) tells you to turn the transponder on, you turn it on. Same goes on ENGM. Oslo is equipped With something called A-SMGCS (Advanced Surface Movement and Control System), which functions basically like a ground radar. That requires that the transponder is at least to ALT OFF (but on VATSIM we of course need to set it to TA/RA).

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

I'll go out on a limb and say that's the norm nearly everywhere within VATUSA.

It all depends..

This - and what I mean by "this" is the onset of ASDE-X, which would require MODE-C on all runways and taxiways - has of late (read: last few years) been the source of confusion for pilots, and as a controller, I get it. Right now we really don't have a blanket rule (at least in VATUSA) for every sector to simulate ASDE-X. It is left up to the individual sectors discretion to simulate it or not. Because of that, (and I'm just pulling airports out of my head, so don't take these as official), you could be asked at, say, KPHX to turn on your transponder, but at somewhere like KOKC, you may not.

I haven't kept up with the debate on a blanket rule for this, so I don't completely know where we are with it, but therein lies the confusion and I totally get it.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

For the US, I just look at the airport diagram ... it tells you whether or not the airport is using some form of surface surveillance system and thus you need to have the transponder on when you're moving. I also check the ATIS. Obviously, on VATSIM, they may not be matching exactly what the real world does, so you may get it wrong, but if the controller doesn't put it in the ATIS, then it's not your fault.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

That said, in the US, I recommend pilots follow the guidance provided in FAA Aeronautical Information Manual, para 4-1-20(a)3 (emphasis mine):

3. Transponder and ADS-B operations on the ground.

Civil and military aircraft should operate with the transponder in the altitude reporting mode (consult the aircraft’s flight manual to determine the specific transponder position to enable altitude reporting) and ADS-B Out transmissions enabled (if equipped) at all airports, any time the aircraft is positioned on any portion of an airport movement area. This includes all defined taxiways and runways. Pilots must pay particular attention to ATIS and airport diagram notations, General Notes (included on airport charts), and comply with directions pertaining to transponder and ADS-B usage. Generally, these directions are:

(a) Departures. Select the transponder mode which allows altitude reporting and enable ADS-B (if equipped) during pushback or taxi-out from parking spot. Select TA or TA/RA (if equipped with TCAS) when taking the active runway.

(b) Arrivals. Maintain transponder to the altitude reporting mode or if TCAS-equipped (TA or TA/RA), select the transponder to altitude reporting mode. Maintain ADS-B Out transmissions (if equipped) after clearing the active runway. Select STBY or OFF for transponder and ADS-B (if equipped) upon arriving at the aircraft’s parking spot or gate.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Nick Warren
Posted
Posted

This ^^^^. Hopefully that is the end of the discussion for the US side of things.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Though in true FAA fashion, the AIM does leave it somewhat vague as to what you should do in non-movement areas at an airport that provides no instructions on the chart or in the ATIS.

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the FAA's 2015 Safety Alert for Operators, the checklist(s) appear precise about transponder use.

Edited by Guest

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
In the FAA's 2015 Safety Alert for Operators, the checklist(s) appear precise about recommended procedure.

That appears to say the same thing as the AIM section that Don referred to.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
In the FAA's 2015 Safety Alert for Operators, the checklist(s) appear precise about recommended procedure.

That appears to say the same thing as the AIM section that Don referred to.

Mike pointed out to me that the checklist examples don't contain the same ambiguity about non-movement areas as the rest of the docomeent and the AIM.

Sure would be nice if the FAA could be consistent in their communication. My tax dollars at work ... except for recently.

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Code of Conduct yet! B4 says:

Except while on the ground prior to making initial contact with ATC or upon request of ATC, a pilot should not squawk standby...

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK