You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What COM radios can be used ?

Lennart Vedin

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

What COM radios can be used in VATSIM with vPilot ?

In PMDG 737 I can select COM1 or COM2. So if I select COM2, what freq will be operatable with VATSIM, last selected COM1 or the new active COM2 ?

The purpose with COM2 is just to have four pre-turned frequences.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You can use both COM radios with VATSIM, so if you select COM2 as your active radio for transmit, then whatever frequency you have tuned for COM2 is the one you will transmit on.

Note that you can have BOTH COM frequencies active for receive at the same time, but only one can be active for transmit at a time.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Ok, I got that vPilot VATSIM opportunities, thanks

"but only one can be active for transmit at a time."

A real airplane can send on both channels, so an accurate model has no selection to activate transmit separate, right..

So how works the selection i vPilot/VATSIM for the transmit channel if both VHF1 and VHF2 is selected as active in the airplane, and then PTT is activated ?

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted
A real airplane can send on both channels

Not any that I'm aware of!

In the B744, B763 and A320 at least, you can listen to as many sources as you like on your ACP, but you can only select the mic to one.

If you change the mic selector (square black buttons at the top of the ACP in Boeings), you will see that the 'MIC' indication moves with you - you can only have one selected.

The listen feeds, however (round knobs which light up when on and rotate to adjust the volume) can have multiple selections (and indeed it is quite normal to be listening to say, ATC on VHF L, Guard on VHF R and the crew intercom).

The other pilot can of course transmit to a different box using their own ACP, but that is entirely separate.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
A real airplane can send on both channels, so an accurate model has no selection to activate transmit separate, right..

Are you sure? In the real world, I've only flown small GA aircraft and you could only transmit on one radio at a time, per pilot. (Each pilot could be transmitting on a different radio, but no single pilot could transmit on more than one simultaneously.) I'm not sure how it works with more complex aircraft such as airliners, but I thought it was the same with all aircraft.

So how works the selection i vPilot/VATSIM for the transmit channel if both VHF1 and VHF2 is selected as active in the airplane, and then PTT is activated ?

vPilot knows which radio is active for transmit because it reads a data value from FSX or P3D using SimConnect, and there is a single value that contains either a "1" or a "2", so there is no way for you to be transmitting on both radios at the same time. If you have an add-on aircraft that lets you enable transmit on both radios at the same time, then my guess is that it would set that SimConnect value to "1" if you selected COM1 last, or "2" if you selected COM2 last.

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Thank's for replies

Yes I mean a real airplane such as B737 has the capability to send at two channels simultaneously (not one single pilot).

Is it possible in vPilot to monitor the active TX frequency, and the one or two active RX frequencies ?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What do you mean by "monitor the active TX frequency" ?

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

I mean look during run-time in the vPilot application or some console what TX frequency currently are selected for vPilot

transmit. This would be useful to determine the actual frequency when switching radios etc from the flight-simulator. Since it is not clear in the flight-simulator environment.

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

The TX/RX indicators next to the frequencies?

In the FSL Airbus (and perhaps some others?) you can choose which ACP drives vPilot. In other aircraft it is likely to be either the Captain's ACP or whichever was selected last.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Perfect, I will look and try out how is works