You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Listening to ATC when you are Hard of Hearing

Peter Crawford

Peter Crawford
Posted
Posted

I'm a 62 year old ex-RAF pilot with a hearing problem that you would now describe as 'hard of hearing', but certainly not deaf. This means I can hear, but I sometimes struggle to hear clearly - it means that it takes time to process what I have heard and to see if I can make sense of it - sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. If you don't have a hearing problem this can be hard for you to understand.

To clarify what my hearing is like, if I listen to FSX ATIS I can generally hear what they say reasonable well, but listening to some VSTSIM ATC controllers it can be a real struggle - sometimes the speed at which they deliver their message and sometimes the quality of their transmission.

So, my question is, on VATSIM can air traffic controllers talk to pilots and also use the text option? I am able to reply with voice, but sometimes listening to ATC, I struggle to hear clearly what they say, so a text back up would be really helpful.

The other day I advised a controller both by voice and text that I was hard of hearing and sadly all I got back was a 'hard to hear' verbal message.....Not the controller's fault, just a case of not understanding the problem some people have.

Please understand this is not a complaint or a rant, but probably like many other aging, veteran pilots who are having hearing problems, probably induced from their days as pilots and who want to keep 'flying', we just would love some support to help us keep going with something we are p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ionate about

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted

I do as well.

Especially when it comes to taxi directions. Just kindly ask the controller if he/she can send the instruction in text. At least that is what I do.

Michael

1.jpg

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
So, my question is, on VATSIM can air traffic controllers talk to pilots and also use the text option? I am able to reply with voice, but sometimes listening to ATC, I struggle to hear clearly what they say, so a text back up would be really helpful.

Yes, you can always ask the controller to use text. Personally I know I get a few any time its busy especially in events. I would add a note in the comments section of your FP, sometimes we might register that there's a reason for it, but we will catch the comments.

If for some reason you get a controller that refuses to use text ask for supervisor [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance by typing it ".wallop Help Please" without the Quotes, and one of us will be along as quickly as we can to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist.

Welcome to the network

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Peter Crawford
Posted
Posted
I do as well.

Especially when it comes to taxi directions. Just kindly ask the controller if he/she can send the instruction in text. At least that is what I do.

Michael

Thanks Michael - I'll try that

Peter Crawford
Posted
Posted

Yes, you can always ask the controller to use text. Personally I know I get a few any time its busy especially in events. I would add a note in the comments section of your FP, sometimes we might register that there's a reason for it, but we will catch the comments.

If for some reason you get a controller that refuses to use text ask for supervisor [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance by typing it ".wallop Help Please" without the Quotes, and one of us will be along as quickly as we can to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist.

Welcome to the network

Thank you for the advice Richard. I'll try a comment in the Flight Plan and it's good to know there is a backup via the supervisor

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi Peter,

you can also simply ask the controller to speak slowly and clearly, point out your hearing-problem. 99% of us will understand and make a note and probably even p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the information on to the next ATC.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
ask for supervisor [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance by typing it ".wallop Help Please" without the Quotes

Overall excellent advice; I'd also humbly suggest that instead of "Help Please," a brief indication of the issue at hand is even better. ".wallop asked controller to use text & he's ignoring me" gives the Supervisor a clue what's going on that you need help with.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Peter Crawford
Posted
Posted
Hi Peter,

you can also simply ask the controller to speak slowly and clearly, point out your hearing-problem. 99% of us will understand and make a note and probably even p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the information on to the next ATC.

Thanks Andreas. That is a good thought.... the only thing is most people with a hearing problem don't really want to draw attention to it or sound dumb.... or even make the controller sound inconsiderate! It would be great if the VATSIM user profile was able to record a user's disabilities and then discreetly highlight it to those that need to know - i.e. Traffic Controllers. The other ideas put forward - putting it on the flight plan is also a good idea.....and/or advising on first contact.

That said, I will also use your advise in cases where the controller hasn't picked up the problem

Thanks, Andreas

Peter

Peter Crawford
Posted
Posted
ask for supervisor [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance by typing it ".wallop Help Please" without the Quotes

Overall excellent advice; I'd also humbly suggest that instead of "Help Please," a brief indication of the issue at hand is even better. ".wallop asked controller to use text & he's ignoring me" gives the Supervisor a clue what's going on that you need help with.

Thanks Robert

Mike Lehkamp
Posted
Posted
Hi Peter,

Andrea,

A high percentage of the time I would suggest its more of a high/low modulation issue as none of us know what we sound like on the radio.

1.jpg

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
the only thing is most people with a hearing problem don't really want to draw attention to it or sound dumb.... or even make the controller sound inconsiderate!
The only "issue" with putting it into your flightplan is that many ATCOs do not really open those FPLs to have a look at the RMK-section (RMK=REMARKS).

I don't think that anyone needs to be ashamed here for having a disability. ATCOs provide a service and if pilots don't like the current service (=speech too fast, volume to loud/low), then they need to speak up. Many ATCOs actually don't speak the "wrong" way because they want to show off or don't give a damn, but rather because they normally don't hear themselves and they need other members to give them feedback. Should an ATCO not be thankful for factual and considerate feedback, well, then they can kiss your forehead