You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Cross the pacific

Tristan Garratt

Tristan Garratt
Posted
Posted

Hi!! Has Cross the Pacific ever been suggested? We could have it on the quarters that Cross the Pond is not, and could involved french polynesia, Australia, USA, China, Russia, etc. It could be really interesting to see all of the oceniac sectors opened, and lots of unusual centre and approch and towers open!

What do you think?

Tristan Garratt

VATPAC C1

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Was tried in 2014. Went down in flames. Lack of communication and organization and advertisement. VATUSA put up dozens of controllers, and if I remember correctly, there was one, yes, just one, participating aircraft.... It can certainly happen, but lessons should be learned from the CTP organizers, most notably how much time and effort is required to organize such an event.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Tristan Garratt
Posted
Posted

If one were to be organised again, Would it need more communication and advertising then?

Tristan Garratt

VATPAC C1

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

I participated, there were quite a few AC back in 2014, the second attempt at it really went down in flames. It needs even more preparation and planning than Cross the Pond! Especially since most of the routes are ssssooooo long. Finding a way to limit it to 8 hour flights (somehow) would make more sense. There are lots of other crossings that could be cool though.

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
Was tried in 2014. Went down in flames. Lack of communication and organization and advertisement. VATUSA put up dozens of controllers, and if I remember correctly, there was one, yes, just one, participating aircraft.... It can certainly happen, but lessons should be learned from the CTP organizers, most notably how much time and effort is required to organize such an event.

There were certainly more than 1 participating aircraft.

Here's my livestream of the event from that year.

ATC most of the way (lost Oakland Oceanic for about 45 mins at one point)

Certainly had plenty of aircraft on radio at both ends and all the way over.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the clarification -- I must have been fed some bum info!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• 2 weeks later...
Alex Brown
Posted
Posted

This is one event that I have always wanted to see happen. I really enjoy doing Cross the Pond and thought this one would be good too. KSFO, KLAX, KSEA to PHNL, RJAA, RJTT maybe...and have up to 100 slots?

Thinkin out loud.....