You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pilot Briefing for LIRF airport

Alessandro Buscaglione

Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted (edited)

For a while now we have been working on a document to help pilots with the most common procedures used in Rome's airport.

LIRF_Briefing_Banner.thumb.png.f73f88321d99f02084b68c2b5760082f.png

LIRF Pilot Briefing October 2021

Here you find the link for the pilot briefing for Rome Fiumicino airport.

This document has most of the information that is needed to fly correctly and safely to and from Rome's international airport. However it is not sufficient You will also need to have the charts on board.

The link will be kept up-to-date. Any updates will be announced on this thread, so feel free to subscribe to it.

LIRF Charts

ROME Scenery:

LIRF Aerosoft

LIRF Freeware

LIRA Aerosoft

LIRA Freeware

Edited by Alessandro Buscaglione
Updated Link with new version 1.62

Alessandro Buscaglione

VATITA Director ACCIT1

[email protected] --- [email protected]

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

Nice briefing!

Having flown in there quite a few times in real life (I just checked my logbook and it seems I've visited 64 times ), I just have a couple of minor points to note:

• 122.125 is actually Ground, not Apron. Last time I was there a Eurowings kept calling them "Apron" and the controller got really annoyed. "Are you calling Fiume GROUND?!" / "I am ATC, Fiume GROUND!"
  • 800 stands are just remote stands that can be used for any destination. It seems they put us there if we are late (normal stand occupied) or we are changing aircraft and leaving the plane for some hours before it's flying again. If we park there, normally they instruct us to use RWY 16R/34L.
  • ILS Z 16R is mentioned in your brief but the standard approach is ILS Y if using 16R. Note that the Y approach has a low level-off altitude of 2000 ft initially on the missed approach, just like 16L.
  • When switching to TWR for departure, they always instruct us to "monitor" the TWR frequency. Might be interesting to note as I suspect many VATSIM pilots are not used to this procedure!
  • I'm not sure if you want to simulate it online, but Fiume has a rather special procedure of calling for clearance: The first call you make once ready for pushback is to "Fiume Ramp" 121.725. You tell them "ready to move" and they tell you "TSAT 1234 monitor 121.8". TSAT is the Target Startup Approal Time and DEL will call you at this time to give startup approval and IFR clearance. Once you have the clearance they instruct you to contact GND for pushback as normal.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

Great briefing.Where is cargo located at the two airports.

nebojsa

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

CARGO AREAS

LIRF: in the southwest of the airport, taxiway YANKEE will take you to stands B42 to B47. There may be another area, our Italian friends will surely amend my information.

LIRA: in south of the aerodrome, Apron 500.

Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the feedback Martin,

The things you have pointed out are very true and it makes me happy to know that there are people out there that know these things! Most of these have been changed for "operational reasons", but me explain point by point,

• 122.125 is actually Ground, not Apron. Last time I was there a Eurowings kept calling them "Apron" and the controller got really annoyed. "Are you calling Fiume GROUND?!" / "I am ATC, Fiume GROUND!"
We have called it Apron to differentiate it with the ground frequency, to help new pilots not get confused with the other frequency.

800 stands are just remote stands that can be used for any destination. It seems they put us there if we are late (normal stand occupied) or we are changing aircraft and leaving the plane for some hours before it's flying again. If we park there, normally they instruct us to use RWY 16R/34L.
Not sure when you flew, but before the new terminal opened up (600 parkings) the "smaller" 800 parkings were often (if not always) used by aircraft from the UK who needed p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]port control and so they also landed on 16R. Now with the new terminal they use the 600 parkings and also land on 16L. Although we have kept it like this as there are currently no sceneries with the new terminal building. But expect this to change in some next version

ILS Z 16R is mentioned in your brief but the standard approach is ILS Y if using 16R. Note that the Y approach has a low level-off altitude of 2000 ft initially on the missed approach, just like 16L.
We'll probably change this then

When switching to TWR for departure, they always instruct us to "monitor" the TWR frequency. Might be interesting to note as I suspect many VATSIM pilots are not used to this procedure!
As you said - VATSIM pilots are not used to this, we had the procedure in the past but had to give it up as about 80% of pilots would still contact tower and tell them their life story, and of course this irritated the tower controller leading to obvious consequences.

I'm not sure if you want to simulate it online, but Fiume has a rather special procedure of calling for clearance: The first call you make once ready for pushback is to "Fiume Ramp" 121.725. You tell them "ready to move" and they tell you "TSAT 1234 monitor 121.8". TSAT is the Target Startup Approal Time and DEL will call you at this time to give startup approval and IFR clearance. Once you have the clearance they instruct you to contact GND for pushback as normal.

This would be awesome to implement, but again, we have pilots who don't even know what a clearence is. And pilots who fly without any timetable, or there is no traffic and startup is given on the spot, further instructions would confuse the pilots.

Mind you, if things change and people fly having read the briefing, we might start to implement further realistic procedures bit by bit.

Alessandro Buscaglione

VATITA Director ACCIT1

Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted
Great briefing.Where is cargo located at the two airports.

nebojsa

CARGO AREAS

LIRF: in the southwest of the airport, taxiway YANKEE will take you to stands B42 to B47. There may be another area, our Italian friends will surely amend my information.

LIRA: in south of the aerodrome, Apron 500.

mainly correct, at LIRF there are a few more cargo stands at "cargo city" parking stands 100, close to threshold for runway 25, taxiway U

We chose not to include this information as there are barely any cargo flights on vatsim to LIRF and we wanted to keep the info slim and essential.

Alessandro Buscaglione

VATITA Director ACCIT1

• 3 months later...
Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted

UPDATED TO VERSION 1.53 - July 2019

Changes:

• Added Reduced Runway Separation Minima
    Added high speed exits information

Alessandro Buscaglione

VATITA Director ACCIT1

• 5 months later...
Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted

UPDATED TO VERSION 1.54 - December 2019

Changes:

• Updated SIDs to match new AIRAC cycle
    Removed Cleared to Land after procedure

Alessandro Buscaglione

VATITA Director ACCIT1

• 5 months later...
Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted

UPDATED TO VERSION 1.6 - May 2020

Changes:

• Major formatting changes

Alessandro Buscaglione

VATITA Director ACCIT1

Mike Sweeney
Posted
Posted (edited)

The link will be kept up-to-date. Any updates will be announced on this thread, so feel free to subscribe to it.

Local vACCs often include Pilot Briefing information on their website.
Consider also posting Pilot Briefing link on Italian vACC website.

vatita.jpg

Edited by Mike Sweeney

Mike / 811317
rz0u.png

• 2 weeks later...
Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted
On 5/28/2020 at 10:08 PM, Mike Sweeney said:

Local vACCs often include Pilot Briefing information on their website.
Consider also posting Pilot Briefing link on Italian vACC website.

Aye! We are planning to do that. We have been having issues with our website and we are trying to roll out a new one.

In the mean time, you can find it on the home page if you scroll down a bit. https://prnt.sc/svbcel

• Like 1

Alessandro Buscaglione

VATITA Director ACCIT1

Alessandro Buscaglione
Posted
Posted

UPDATED TO VERSION 1.62 - October 2021

Changes:

• TSAT procedure added
  • Like 1