You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

filing a flight plan

John Mark 1369531

John Mark 1369531
Posted
Posted

hello i am new to filing a flight plan on vat sim i need help o do so i dont know how its done will you please help me thank you

John Mark 1369531
Posted
Posted

i dont know my route info for the airport im going to and theres some other stuff i dont know too i need help

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi John,

you may want to switch to creating posts here in a more "reading friendly format". Some dots, commas and hyphens are allowed, too

Now, to your second question: if you are looking for realistic IFR flightplan routes, I would like to point you to http://vroute.net . It is freeware and after registering you'll have access to thousands of IFR flightplans.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
Now, to your second question: if you are looking for realistic IFR flightplan routes, I would like to point you to http://vroute.net . It is freeware and after registering you'll have access to thousands of IFR flightplans.

Hey John!

Indeed, vRoute is a pretty handy routes database but PLEASE, don't file a flightplan with a route if you don't know what a route is or how to fly it. You have plenty of resources in the VATSIM Pilot Resource Center (which was posted above) which will help you understand all of this. If you still don't understand much of it, try joining an Authorized Training Organization like VATSTAR (https://www.vatstar.com), for example. They will help you all the way from the bottom and ensure you become a good virtual pilot for the network.

Have fun and welcome to VATSIM!

Me.

SAMUEL PEREZ 1449167
Posted
Posted

Hey guys. I need a bit of direction, I don't know where to post my question, or rather my concern. I'm having issues contacting ATC for TO/LD clearances and i'm getting into situations where i'm landing, say TNCM with my little pony Saab 340, suddenly there is this either 747 or 777 that I can only see when they are right behind my plane and only because they cast a shadow on the water when i'm at about 500ft, this is at final and about 1000ft from TD, and btw they are on VATSIM. This happened multiple times and i can't seem to find anyone on ATC. Each time I had to gear up and full thrust out of the way and circle around the airport until they have landed, sometimes they perform a GA and I have to continue to wait until they perform their full GA and land so I can line up and land, causing a lot of fuel to be burned unnecessarily. Please direct me to where I can post this concern and see if it gets addressed? I know these pilots are not purposely running me off the air, which BTW that would be funny, but in all seriousness i don't really think they can see me. I do have my xponder on, I do have signs and labels on and I've tested it with my friend and he can see my little pony.

Flight plan on VATSIM correctly filed in all cases.

Thank you and i'm sorry if this is completely off topic which I know it is. I'm sorry it's just very frustrating. I can def see how in RL this can be the perfect storm for disaster.

Sam

Fly with your heart, land with your soul...!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Just checking --- are you monitoring unicom 122.800 for the presence of other aircraft? Are you announcing your presence and intentions on unicom also?

It's a volunteer organization, so many times ATC is not online. That said, we use unicom to coordinate to reduce these very types of situations.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

SAMUEL PEREZ 1449167
Posted
Posted
Just checking --- are you monitoring unicom 122.800 for the presence of other aircraft? Are you announcing your presence and intentions on unicom also?

It's a volunteer organization, so many times ATC is not online. That said, we use unicom to coordinate to reduce these very types of situations.

No, and thank you so much for this info. I now found the option to do so. this will greatly help with my problem.

I appreciate your response!

sam

Fly with your heart, land with your soul...!

Daniel Katz
Posted
Posted
suddenly there is this either 747 or 777 that I can only see when they are right behind my plane and only because they cast a shadow on the water when i'm at about 500ft, this is at final and about 1000ft from TD, and btw they are on VATSIM.

Also a tool like VAT-Spy or QuteScoop will help you be aware of these inbounds before they are on top of you.

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted

Actually that sounds like a P2P issue and the "trailing" aircraft is a "ghost" only he can see.

Randy

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I had considered that possibility, but discounted it based on OP indicating that only sometimes did the other aircraft go around, and also that he could wait and watch the other aircraft land before starting his subsequent approach.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations