You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

CTP and other stuff

Phillip Kim

Phillip Kim
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm still new to VATSIM and I have a few questions about Cross the Pond. (First time doing it also)

Am I allowed to be AFK? If so, what's the time limit? I have some stuff to do during the morning so I can't be on my PC for about 1-1/12 hrs. during the flight.

The event starts at 6 AM (1100Z) for me so am I able to depart late as 8:30 AM? (1330Z)

(I'm only 15 and I can't get up early or else I would get in trouble)

Recommended settings for FSX? It's the only flight sim I have and I'm worried that the game may crash on me since my PC isn't that good even with default aircraft.

If I put my PC on sleep, will the game still run?

(Still learning a lot more about flight simulation, started since October)

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

No, you are not allowed to have an unattended connection. Running to get a gl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] of water or go to the bathroom is one thing, but 1-1.5 hours is not OK.

You could disconnect from the network when you need to leave. But the issue would be reconnecting -- you can't just reconnect during an event when hundreds of aircraft are in relative close proximity without likely becoming a significant traffic.

There will be slots for roughly 4 hours. When bidding for a slot, simply bid for a slot that works for your takeoff time. That said, please don't take a slot if you won't be able to fly the whole event. It would take that slot away from someone who can utilize it to its fullest. That said, you are welcome to fly without a slot. You'll have to fly on the non-slot route, and may experience some delays as a result (not usual, but we always tell people to expect them, just in case).

If your PC isn't that good with default aircraft, it may not fare well with dozens of aircraft in close proximity.

Whatever you do, don't become an interruption for ATC or other pilots. If your PC (or you) are not up to the task, simply disconnect.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Alex Brown
Posted
Posted

If you never done Cross the Pond (or have done Oceanic crossing) this upcoming CTP 3/30/19 is one you should not be trying to get into. This is really a fast moving Event that honestly requires everyone to be on point (Pilots & Controllers) and knowing what they are doing. Like Don said..you don't want to become an interruption for ATC and other Pilots. Now you can practice...read all info provided on Oceanic crossings...NAT Track routing, how and when to get clearance (Oceanic), position reports.

This week would be a good week to get online and do some crossings as the Oceanic Controllers will be on refreshing their skills..and this will give you a chance to try it out. Do it a few times before you try to participate in CTP..to make you knowledgeable and comfortable with what you are doing.

By time CTP Eastbound comes around (which is in October) I'm pretty sure you'll be ready then!

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

I think Don and Alex both hit the nail on the head. The only thing I'd like to add/correct is that while you are within oceanic airspace, you may not need to talk to ATC from anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on the track you are on. With that being said, you still need to be within hearing range of your computer so that if you receive a SELCAL alert from ATC you can quickly respond. BUT as Don said an unattended connection is a big no-no.

Also, the best practice in my opinion is to jump in there and give it your best shot.

This week would be a good week to get online and do some crossings as the Oceanic Controllers will be on refreshing their skills..and this will give you a chance to try it out. Do it a few times before you try to participate in CTP..to make you knowledgeable and comfortable with what you are doing.

However, as Alex said, a few practice runs and some research prior to the event is a definite must.

Whatever you do, don't become an interruption for ATC or other pilots. If your PC (or you) are not up to the task, simply disconnect.

^ no shame in that too. If u feel overwhelmed it's probably better to call it a day then to risk ruining the event for others

Cheers!

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Timm Rehberg
Posted
Posted

Hi,

general CTP question:

Will there be a station available for CPDLC via Hoppie?

I guess sometimes we should start providing that service due to the amount of Pilots and always to less controllers.

Thanks

Timm Rehberg 
V1 Simulations | SimAware

A32X_Cockpit.png
MSFS | Prepar3D v5.3 | Intel i9 9900K | ASUS TUF 3090 | ASUS Z390E

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/V1Simulations/
raanyylv.png