You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Could not initialize TargetManager

Vince Acres 1145296

Vince Acres 1145296
Posted
Posted

w9yams.png

Someone posted a topic regarding this issue in the VSTARs support forms however the question was not ansered for windows 10. Anyone else encounter this error? I get a similair error when starting vSTARs as well however VRC works just fine.

Any thoughts?

Vince Acres - 1145296

ZAU Facility Engineer

• 2 weeks later...
Terrance Schooler 895023
Posted
Posted

I'm having the same problem. New computer, Windows 10, and I've been inactive for a few years and trying to get started back up. Anyone have any ideas?

Terry Schooler

ATP AMEL, Comm-Inst ASEL/RH

CFI ASE/AME/IA

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Looks like a package is missing thanks to MS.

what version of directx are you running at the moment?

You might need to try installing an older version of DX or see if you can find the DLL on an older Windows 7 / 8 machine.

Will dig around a bit and see what I can find out.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Vince Acres 1145296
Posted
Posted

I got it to work on the 1803 build. If you go to recovery either revert to an older version or re install windows.

Vince Acres - 1145296

ZAU Facility Engineer

• 7 months later...
Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Just had this issue surface on a new machine (for both vERAM and vSTARS, although the error was slightly different in vSTARs presented as "Could not initialize SoundManager").

If anyone else runs across it, make sure your machine is on the latest version of Windows 10 (I was on build 1809 and just completed the upgrade to 1909) and re-run the installer making sure to check the box to run the "Direct X Update" in the installer - It should work after that.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

• 2 months later...
Andrew Morkunas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Same problem - brand new PC and cannot launch vSTARS or vERAM. I have the latest build of Windows 1909.

https://prnt.sc/r3nmqy

Edited by Guest

Andrew Morkunas

spacer.png

Twitch: padre_andrew ATC Simulations

Andrew Morkunas
Posted
Posted

Tally Ho!

Not ten minutes after my previous post I found the solution -- DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

From the Microsoft website:

The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime installs a number of runtime libraries from the legacy DirectX SDK for some games that use D3DX9, D3DX10, D3DX11, XAudio 2.7, XInput 1.3, XACT, and/or Managed DirectX 1.1. Note that this package does not modify the DirectX Runtime installed on your Windows OS in any way.

Andrew Morkunas

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Andrew, you posted in a thread about an error initializing the TargetManager, but DirectX shouldn't have anything to do with the TargetManager. Was it actually the SoundManager that was erroring for you? I can't tell from your screenshots because they are broken images.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Morkunas
Posted
Posted

Lightshot doing strange things with screen captures. Try this https://prnt.sc/r3nmqy

Bottom line both errors where gone after I installed the Microsoft update.

Andrew Morkunas

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ahh, okay, it is the SoundManager in both cases, but with vERAM, the SoundManager is initialized indirectly via the TargetManager, where as with vSTARS, the SoundManager is directly initialized.

Note that both clients include the DirectX installer with the client installer. Did the DirectX installer run when you installed the clients?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Morkunas
Posted
Posted

I do not recall but the patch from Microsoft did work.

Andrew Morkunas

spacer.png