You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.
IMPORTANT: We will no longer promote events by VATSIM Divisions or vACC's posted in this forum. This section will transition to allow for publishing of unofficial events and groupflights. Contact your vACC director for event publishing access to myVATSIM. ×

[27APR 2300z - 0200z] VATSIM First Wings

Matthew Bartels

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

ysb53XE.png

VATSIM First Wings - The event where you lose your fears and join in on the fun that is flying online with real people providing you Air Traffic Control services.

Between 2300z on April 27th and 0200z on the 28th, VATSIM will be holding the second edition of this event, this time around in North America.

Minneapolis and Chicago Air Traffic Controllers will be our hosts for the evening, staffing Rochester, Rockford, Eastern Iowa and Duluth International.

We are all aware of the many fears one has the first time he or she flies online (we all flew our first flight at one point!), and that is why this event exists, to help you face those fears and join in on the fun!

Do not be put off flying for the fear of making a mistake, all Air Traffic Controllers are aware that the majority of pilots flying are newcomers, likely inexperienced in flying in controlled airspace, and will adapt accordingly.

The only thing we ask of you is to know how to fly your airplane. For everything else, we are here to help.

Closer to the day of, routes and a short briefing pack will be provided. On top of that, experienced pilots/air traffic controllers will be online during the event available to answer any question and help with any issue you may have.

(We would like to ask already experienced and active VATSIM-pilots to not participate in the event, as to avoid unnecessarily overloading the airfields and frequencies.)

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

• 2 weeks later...
Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Hi, all --

I hope I'm not seen as trying to ride anyone's coattails or cut in on anyone's dance. I was actually approached by, and have been corresponding with, several of the organizers of this event about things I can offer to help new pilots get comfortable taking the leap and trying out a flight this Saturday. So, we came up with the following two things:

(1) this Wednesday night, April 24th at 8pm Eastern Daylight Time (Thursday morning 0000z), I'll be demonstrating a flight from Rockford (KRFD) to Duluth (KDLH) in the PMDG 737 NGX -- not only just startup to shutdown, but also covering flight planning topics such as: where to find a viable route, how to determine how much fuel to carry, how to connect, what to put in the flightplan, how to determine which controller to talk to, etcetera. Once airborne, the VATSIM ATC have agreed to treat our flight as though it was in a high-traffic area, with the potential for holds, vectors, speed restrictions, runway [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment changes, and whatever else might happen when you fly online with live, human ATC. We'll talk through the various ways you can use the different autopilot modes on the plane to comply with all of their instructions. That demo will happen live on Twitch.tv, and live Q&A via Twitch or Discord will be encouraged. (I tend to draw a much smaller audience than the "big" flight sim streamers, so, there's a very good chance that ALL of your questions will be heard and answered.) The video will be uploaded to YouTube immediately after, as well, for anyone who isn't available to participate as scheduled, with additional Q&A opportunities via YouTube comments or Discord.

(2) Saturday night during the event, starting at 7pm EDT (2300z), I will be set up as an observer at Duluth (KDLH), and my core viewers and I will be monitoring as many of the various ATC channels as we can. Again, we'll encourage live Q&A via the Twitch chat or the Discord server, so any new pilots flying in the event that need help understanding an instruction or how to get the plane to fly a hold or a vector or a late descent can pop in and ask and get immediate help.

the Twitch channel: https://twitch.tv/slantalphaadventures

the Discord server: https://discord.gg/23rqrPG

the YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGVQitLSUHt6huOirNEYI4Q (*)

I hope we can get some new pilots flying regularly on VATSIM! The more we populate our virtual skies with pilots who know how to fly cooperatively on the network, the more fun it is for all of us!

(*) yeah, I know. I need a few more subscribers before I can get a custom link. I told ya, my audience is "cozy." LOL.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kevin Hix 1452312
Posted
Posted

New to VatSim and had a question...do I need to be signing up for this event somewhere ahead of time? It says there's a packet that will be given out...I want to make sure I get it as soon as possible so that maybe I can calm down my nerves!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

As far as I know, nope. Just show up & fly. The briefing package will be posted to this forum thread, I imagine, or maybe the VATSIM Facebook page, or more likely both.

There are a handful of VATSIM events that require registering for slots, but, those are few and far between -- and generally specify in the opening posting.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andre Almeida
Posted
Posted

Hi Kevin,

As Rob said, there is no need to register, you only need to show up and fly.

The briefing pack will indeed be published soon, in the meantime I can leave you the recommended routes if you'd like to start planning your flight:

KRST - KDLH: GEP J21 DLH

KDLH - KRST: DLH J21 GEP

KRST - KCID: RST V503 FARVI

KRST - KRFD: EMORE V24 GLARS V171 DAVIS

KRFD - KRST: DAVIS V171 LNR V24 EMORE

KRFD - KCID: RFD V63 MIHAL V172 LISBO

KRFD - KDLH: RFD V9 MSN V228 DLL V345 EAU V129 DLH

KDLH - KRFD: DLH V129 EAU V345 DLL V228 MSN V9 RFD

KDLH - KCID: DLH V13 FGT V82 RST V503 CID

KCID - KRST: FARVI V503 RST

KCID - KDLH: CID V503 RST V161 FGT V13 DLH

KCID - KRFD: LISBO V172 MIHAL V63 RFD

Kevin Palkovich 1400069
Posted
Posted

As as resident of MN, in particular, south of MPLS/St. Paul, the weather forecast for (KRST in particular), snow and high winds. Yes, end of April, 3-8inches of snow. Very tight band but right over KRST stretching from South Dakota to Wisconsin border.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this. For someone who has been doing Flight sim for some time, I've been hesitant to go "live" (just nerves I guess), this will be great! Considering I won't be able to do much else but watch it snow.

Thanks to all who are putting this all together and the helpful information from Rob.

Daniel Rodriguez 1451963
Posted
Posted

Hi! is the briefing pack posted it at other site? Thank you