You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PTT assignment does not activate a transmission

Erich Berner 834484

Erich Berner 834484
Posted
Posted

Hi Ross

Newly installed P3D v.4.5, vPilot, fresh W10 64 installation

Have used VATSIM and VPilot for years and have recently run into this issue where my PTT [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment not longer allows me to transmit. Newly installed W10, P3D and vPilot. I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the button in the vPilot's settings/audio, but when I press the button in sim the Tx doesn't light and no-one can hear me.

I've checked everything else which I consider obvious. As it's a new W10 install, I will check whether I have allowed access to the microphone during the windows setup process. But apart from this, I'm not sure why this should happen.

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

One common issue that brings this up is 1) do you run P3D as an admin, and 2) is vPilot similarly set to run as an admin on launch (or is launched as an admin manually).

Also, and this may be unnecessary to ask but are you tuned to an active ATC frequency? Voice is only permitted to tx on ATC frequencies as the controller "creates" the voice room during our connection process. So no ATC, no voice as it stands currently.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Erich Berner 834484
Posted
Posted
One common issue that brings this up is 1) do you run P3D as an admin, and 2) is vPilot similarly set to run as an admin on launch (or is launched as an admin manually).

Also, and this may be unnecessary to ask but are you tuned to an active ATC frequency? Voice is only permitted to tx on ATC frequencies as the controller "creates" the voice room during our connection process. So no ATC, no voice as it stands currently.

Both programs run as Admin and the correct active frequencies are tuned. The MIC button on the radio stack is also 'on'

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Type ".debug" into the vPilot window, and then press PTT and see if it shows debug messages in the debug window when you press and release PTT.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Alex Amorianos
Posted
Posted

Try also to go to Settings>Privacy>Microphone

At the top of the window, check that it says “Microphone access for this device is on.” If Windows says microphone access is off, click the “Change” button and set it to “On.” If access is off, Windows and all applications on your system can’t access audio from your microphone.

Alex

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If the TX doesn't light up, I don't think it's a microphone problem. Seems it's not recognizing the PTT or he's not connected to a voice room.

Erich, let me know about the debug output. Also, does the frequency show in a light blue color at the top right corner of the vPilot window?

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

Actually following up on what Ross put...what are you trying to use as your PTT? If I recall there are some keys that won't recognize as PTT due to conflicts in the SIM/computer.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Erich Berner 834484
Posted
Posted
If the TX doesn't light up, I don't think it's a microphone problem. Seems it's not recognizing the PTT or he's not connected to a voice room.

Erich, let me know about the debug output. Also, does the frequency show in a light blue color at the top right corner of the vPilot window?

Hi Ross,

I'll try the debug tonight. I've been away for the past two days.

The active freq is in light blue font yes. Also, when I switch to an active freq, the active freq audio chime sounds. When I switch to an inactive freq, the inactive chime sounds.

The microphone is definitely set to 'on' in the Windows settings, and apps have access to it.

I have a PFC Yoke and the PTT is set to Button 7 on the yoke, as it has been for the past 5 years. I've tried re-[Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning the PTT to a keyboard key, but get the same nil result.

Also tried uninstalling/re-installing vPilot.

cheers

erich

Erich Berner 834484
Posted
Posted

Update:

The .debug command somehow corrected the situation and I can now [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign the PTT to whatever I want.

Thanks for your help Ross.

Cheers

erich

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ross -- sounds like a new commercial...

.debug ... Getting the bugs out! Since 2014.

Unfortunately, folks, the following features have not yet been programmed: .deboss .dewife

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ure you the .debug command did not fix the problem. Something else changed that you aren't aware of.

Erich Berner 834484
Posted
Posted

I may have done something inadvertently, but certainly not deliberately to affect a change. Not sure what, but anyway...back in business.