You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Microphone Detection (macOS)

Taylor Broad

Taylor Broad
Posted
Posted

Hely folks,

So I am at a loss right now. The controller sees me "keying up", however he cannot hear me. Microphone settings I know are correct, as evidenced by other applications working perfectly fine with my microphone. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the issue?

Thanks

Taylor Broad
Senior Developer - Virtual Airlines
VATSIM Virtual Airlines Dept.

## [email protected]

VATSIM Logo

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted

The issue could be clarified yesterday in Discord. All users having problems with Mic on MacOS 10.14 (earlier versions not affected), please try the workaround: https://dev.swift-project.org/w/help/swiftgeneral/macosnosound/

I'm working on a proper fix but in the absence of any warning from MacOS and even though the app bundle is created as required from the Apple docomeentation, I'm having a hard time.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/

Marco Corradi
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have the same problem that I can hear only the Controllers but they cannot her me. I received from Klaus Basan the instruction of the attached link and executed. unfortunately to my disappointment no changes with my ATC.

Could somebody tell if there is another hidden bug??? My OS is macOS Mojave v. 10.14.4

many thanks

marco

saluti from Marco Corradi

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing this is completely different since I'm not a Mac user, but since my issue manifested the same way, I'll post it here just in case it helps someone.

I flew with Swift for the first time this past weekend, and, initially had an issue where I could hear the controllers but they could not hear me. I run X-Plane 11 on Windows 10. I found that when I had my recording device set as my gaming headset microphone, no audio was coming through. But when I set it to the Windows Default Capture Device, it worked fine. My headset gaming microphone **is** my default capture device so I don't know why it worked one way and not the other, but, perhaps it's a clue.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Roland Rossgotterer 104726
Posted
Posted
Hi,

I have the same problem that I can hear only the Controllers but they cannot her me. I received from Klaus Basan the instruction of the attached link and executed. unfortunately to my disappointment no changes with my ATC.

Could somebody tell if there is another hidden bug??? My OS is macOS Mojave v. 10.14.4

Hi Marco,

MacOS 10.14 is still giving me headaches. The microphone works perfectly with any older MacOS version. With 10.14 Apple added this privacy control thingy which is fair enough. So I would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume, MacOS is going to ask you whether you want to give swift access to your microphone. Surprisingly it does not ask that question. It does nothing, not even raise a error message to swift. It just returns silent audio.

The workaround that used to work for most of the people - you are the first one saying it doesn't work - is to launch the binary inside the app bundle from the console. It is important to use the swiftguistd.app bundle directly. It won't work with the launcher.

Once done, I recommend to go to the audio tab and click on "loopback". That wires your microphone to your configured audio output. If you hear yourself, everything is good.

Technical details - ignore if not interested:

The app bundles info.plist does set the NSMicrophoneUsageDescription property. However, MacOS ignores that. Some people think, its because the app is not signed. That could be the culprit, however, I did not find any hint in Apples docomeentation that this is required. App bundle signature requires 99 $ per year, which is too much for a hobby non-profit project.

swift - Technical Manager

http://swift-project.org/