You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sim-time vs Vatsim-time

Orjan Polman

Orjan Polman
Posted
Posted

Hi all.

Back with another question, if this is answered/stated somewhere I apologize.

I am a member of a VA, and if I want to fly online, but also record the flight in my VA:

For example, I would have to set the sim-time to 11.30z to get prepped for a departure at 12.00z.

Does it matter if I connect to Vatsim at 18.30z real time, while the sim-time and ActiveSky is at 11.30z?

The weather could have an effect, to some extent...

A bit clumsy way of explaining it, but I hope you know what I mean

Cheers,

Orjan.

Regards

Orjan Polman

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Tine of day doesn't matter in the least. The only time it becomes a *slight* issue is in non-radar environments (like over the ocean) where you need to report your ETA to your next waypoint. In those cases, if it's currently 1520z and your ETA to the next point is 25 minutes, you should report it as 1545z regardless of what time your simulator thinks it is.

Otherwise, if it's really 11pm local time in LA but you want to simulate a day approach, or vice-versa, it's fine. In fact, the controller would have no way of knowing what light conditions you are simulating.

Weather is a bit different as the traffic flows and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned approaches are based on current real-world weather and wind. So if you're simulating weather from hours or days ago, you could find yourself swimming upstream or landing with a crosswind or tailwind or being [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a visual approach in low IMC. If you don't mind that, that's fine -- but it's generally advisable to fly with approximately the same weather everyone else is using, as much as possible.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

As Robert says, it makes no difference to anybody on VATSIM whether you have your sim time set to the real time or otherwise - I quite often set the sim time to match the scheduled departure time of my flight! As Robert says, though, remember that any ETAs etc will need to be provided in 'real' time.

It is, however, best to leave Activesky on 'real time mode' -- one of the problems of having different weather is that if you have significantly different upper winds to other aircraft, for instance, this will make sequencing and vectoring more difficult for ATC as your ground speed and drift will be different to everyone else, making it much harder to stream and space aircraft accurately.

Vice President, Pilot Training

Orjan Polman
Posted
Posted

Great advice guys, much appreciated!

A good thing to remember the sequencing and ETA's, I didn't think about that....

Will leave ActiveSky on RealTime, I have it set to "Vatsim-Weather" if that was the term.

If I ever dare to participate in CTP, I won't bother with the VA acars…

Messing up the ETA's and things doesn't impress much

Thanks a lot for the help gent's, question answered

Cheers, Orjan.

Regards

Orjan Polman

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

That's a pretty strict VA that enforces setting your sim time. Not all VAs do that.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

I am currently part of 1 that requires the flight time, and another that encourages it for "bonus points". It is interesting, but I have to say I find it takes away from the realism rather than enhances it for me.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Orjan Polman
Posted
Posted

To be totally honest, I am not sure if they actually enforces it...

I have just always set the time that is in their schedule, for my own little joy of replicating realism...

For me it's enhancing, but that's just me.

Regards

Orjan Polman