You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Communication Questions

Al Klayton 1398552

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted

I had been communicating with a controller over voice and then was surprised to suddenly get a text message. I replied via voice and then got a voice response. So I'm wondering why the controller had switched to text -- are there rules or conventions when text is preferred over working voice communications?

If I need to respond to a controller via text, do I need to type the controller info, e.g., XYZ_APP:, or will vPilot fill that in automatically based on the frequency my com1 radio is tuned to?

Finally, how does the .atis dot command work? I can't seem to get any response. Does com1 have to be tuned to the atis freq and do I have to be in radio range, or can I get the atis for most any airport like the .wx command will get the metar for most any airport?

Thanks for the help,

Al

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I had been communicating with a controller over voice and then was surprised to suddenly get a text message. I replied via voice and then got a voice response. So I'm wondering why the controller had switched to text -- are there rules or conventions when text is preferred over working voice communications?

I'm betting you ran into the voice timeout issue. If you don't set up the port forwarding as described in the docomeentation, your router will close your connection to the voice server if you don't transmit frequently enough to avoid this timeout in your router. The controller was probably trying to reach you by voice, then gave up and tried text. Once you replied by voice, that opened up the connection in your router, and you were able to communicate with the controller by voice again. (Until the connection timed out again in your router.)

If I need to respond to a controller via text, do I need to type the controller info, e.g., XYZ_APP:, or will vPilot fill that in automatically based on the frequency my com1 radio is tuned to?

vPilot does not automatically fill that in, but it doesn't need to. As long as your radio is tuned to the controller's frequency, and is enabled for transmit, then the controller will see your text.

Finally, how does the .atis dot command work? I can't seem to get any response. Does com1 have to be tuned to the atis freq and do I have to be in radio range, or can I get the atis for most any airport like the .wx command will get the metar for most any airport?

No, text ATIS requests work regardless of what frequency your radios are tuned to, and regardless of how far away you are from the airport. The difference between .atis and .wx is that .atis requires you to enter a controller's callsign, and .wx requires you to enter an airport identifier. So if you want the text ATIS for BOS_CTR, you would type ".atis BOS_CTR". If you want the text version of a voice ATIS station, you would type the full "callsign" of the voice ATIS connection. For example, ".atis KBOS_ATIS".

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted

Ross,

Great info, very helpful, thanks!

Al

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Maybe he couldn't understand you??

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted

I'm betting you ran into the voice timeout issue. If you don't set up the port forwarding as described in the docomeentation, your router will close your connection .......

I've forwarded the port per the docomeentation and did not have a problem on a subsequent flight, so hopefully that solved the problem.

As an aside, how do you reply with a selective (partial) quote on this forum (other than quoting all and deleting what you don't want)? I can't seem to find how to do that.

Thx,

Al

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
how do you reply with a selective (partial) quote on this forum (other than quoting all and deleting what you don't want)? I can't seem to find how to do that.

If there's another way, I don't know it.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

so far as I know you would have to write out the phpbb script for quotes manually and copy / paste the partial portion that you want to quote

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted

Rob, Rich,

OK, thanks for the info. Not a big deal, but it sure is a lot easier on some other forums.

Al

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted
Rob, Rich,

OK, thanks for the info. Not a big deal, easier on some other forums.

Al

See what I did there?

Just edit what is inside the quote tags.

Quig, C3, P1, VATPAC, CZQM (inact), CZQX (ret).

4200+ hrs of "Chaos, Panic & Disorder in your virtual skies!"

0.png

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted

See what I did there?

Just edit what is inside the quote tags.

Yep, as I mentioned above, I was wondering if there was an alternative to doing exactly that. Quoting all and then editing gets a bit tiresome if you want to separately quote and reply to 5 or 6 different questions from the same post. As I said, not a big deal.

Thx,

Al

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

Right!

That's what I get to responding to post at 0100 local after a whisky or two!

Didn't read & comprehend properly.

0.png

Al Klayton 1398552
Posted
Posted
Right!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

What are you doing on the forums in that condition? Isn't that when you're usually flying or controlling?

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Richard Quigley
Posted
Posted

What are you doing on the forums in that condition? Isn't that when you're usually flying or controlling?

Sometimes all three at once!

Specially at that time and in that condition!

0.png