You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

I needed a manual for flight simulation so I made one

Dino Norrman

Dino Norrman
Posted
Posted

I found that I often chose not to go online and fly because I thought "I'm not good enough", even though I have the highest pilot rating. So I decided to learn thoroughly and wrote a manual for players like myself. It covers the basics of flight, communication, navigation, weather and safety and it has a communications script that I've used when flying online. The navigations chapter explains each type of approach conceptually and with examples. I am a teacher so I tried to apply my pedagogical knowledge to the docomeent.

I think one downside of the current online flying community is that it's a bit inaccessible. Knowledge and information are coming from all sorts of angles but is not collected in one place. I find the VATSIM official learning centre to be a bit theoretical and inaccessible and think the way I explain things in the manual are easier to grasp. If any new player out there is looking for a place to start, this may be it. I call it Dino's Flight Sim Manual. Here is the link. If anyone else want to cooperate, or use this material in any way they prefer, with our without my involvement, I think we could make it an excellent starting point that could attract more players like myself: The ones with self-doubt. This is the docomeent I would have wanted five years ago.

Richard McDonald Woods
Posted
Posted

Hi Dino,

I applaud your significant efforts to bringing basic/revision training to our VATSIM members.

However, I feel that you should rely more on hyperlinking to existing materials rather than the time-consuming processes of creating your own, maintained resources. Doubtless your efforts are needed to shape the offering, but I feel that you need to rely to the greatest extent on those that provide the most authoritative on-going materials.

I have been most impressed by the comprehensive tutorials offered by the FAA Aviation Training Network which will receive constant updates and thus minimise your authoring workloads. The POSCON developments may also help your aims.

As a like-minded tutor, I feel the need for more accessible training materials. I have recently been interested in developing training materials based on the Moodle software, without outcome. If I can be of any [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance, please do ask.

Good luck!

Cheers, Richard

You are the music, until the music stops. T.S.Eliot

Ken Pryor
Posted
Posted

Very impressive, Dino. Lots of great info in there.

Luka Stevens
Posted
Posted

Impressive, this could surely help those who find it difficult finding the right info

LUKA STEVENS 
Belux vACC Training Director

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram

arrvatA.png