You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA noob with a few questions.

Victor Buck 923077

Victor Buck 923077
Posted
Posted

Hey all.

Once the groaning stops , I have a few questions for you.

I am relatively new to online ATC...although I have "observed" a few times at VATSIM and actually flew a few flights on WestCoastATC with their now defunct ATOC system. I am not new to MSFS and have been flying FS95...so I can "usually" keep my aircraft in the air...and out of other's way .

First, SquawkBox or FSINN??

What are any advantages of each? FSNav can transfer FP's to SB but not FSINN, apparently? I'd appreciate any thoughts on choosing one.

FSNav. I'm confused on if we can connect with it while flying online at VATSIM. The policy states "only one connection..." but the PRC gives instructions for connecting FSNav to see the traffic around you?

From reading all the "how to's" it seems I will be connecting to VATSIM before having a flightplan loaded...and then loading it once connected...is that right?

I have flown the 737, 707, DC9 and 727 quite a bit but have, by far, more hours on my MAAM DC3 and was going to start with that as I am the most comfortable in it and would not have to 'second guess" the aircraft while following...and learning ATC, how to interact with them and, especially, the correct phraseology. Hopefully the controllers don't mind the older, slower aircraft?

I would like to "do this right", and I'll read everything in the PRC, again, but I believe, at some point, doing it is the best training. For now I'm looking for an airport in the ZDV ARTCC which is relatively quiet and won't tax the controller too much as I won't be "doing stupid learning things" in front of all those Frontier airlines A319's going in and out of KDEN? . I thought that Fort Collins-Loveland (KNFL) might be a good choice...or Fort Collins Downtown (K3V5, which I can hit with a well thrown rock from my house) which can take my DC3. What do the controllers think?

Any other advice for the "noob" is very much appreciated. If you know of any of the usual "stumbling blocks" noobies fall over...maybe a head's up?

Thanks gang, I do appreciate any help.

Vic

"I'm a man...but I can change...if I have to...I guess"

The Man's Prayer

Red Green

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted
First, SquawkBox or FSINN??

What are any advantages of each? FSNav can transfer FP's to SB but not FSINN, apparently? I'd appreciate any thoughts on choosing one.

SB3=easy

FSinn= more goodies, more bugs

FSNav. I'm confused on if we can connect with it while flying online at VATSIM. The policy states "only one connection..." but the PRC gives instructions for connecting FSNav to see the traffic around you?

its fine to connect

From reading all the "how to's" it seems I will be connecting to VATSIM before having a flightplan loaded...and then loading it once connected...is that right?

Yes and no...

You can use the prefile system on the main vatsim page

Hopefully the controllers don't mind the older, slower aircraft?

nope

Any other advice for the "noob" is very much appreciated.

Dont make a Fedex VA 2 weeks into your career

Josh Rosard 879188
Posted
Posted

I thought that Fort Collins-Loveland (KNFL) might be a good choice...or Fort Collins Downtown (K3V5, which I can hit with a well thrown rock from my house) which can take my DC3. What do the controllers think?

Ft Collins would be fine, although if you're trying to learn how to communicate with ATC, it might be a good idea to start at a slower but towered airport, such as KCOS (Colorado Springs) or KCYS (Cheyenne). Usually, us Denver controllers aren't too busy to help out newer pilots. Glad you're thinking this out though, hopefully we'll see you around ZDV!

Josh Rosard

ZDV

PPL ASEL

Victor Buck 923077
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Brandon...although I don't quite understand the FedEx comment?

Josh, I didn't realize KNFL was un-towered. KCYS sounds like the ticket.

The Man's Prayer

Red Green

Jay Hsu 926068
Posted
Posted

Josh, I didn't realize KNFL was un-towered. KCYS sounds like the ticket.

Welcome to VATUSA!

The Fedex comment was a satirical one directed towards indivuals who are considered "noobs" who create Virtual Airlines that really do not look like they will succeed. One Fedex VA attempt was a recent example.

Nonetheless, you are a model to others who are new to VATSIM and VATUSA, as you are taking time to read the PRC and ask questions on this forum. Kudos.

Most importantly, have fun!

Jay Hsu

ZME ARTCC

VATPRC Resource Manager

http://www.vatprc.net

Brandon Grchan 925585
Posted
Posted

Ditto what jay said

James Brickell 852953
Posted
Posted

Just to expand upon the FSNav question..FSNav doesn't actually connect to VATSIM. It connects to the multiplayer session that starts on your computer, so you're in the green there. That particular rule is in place to make sure people don't, say, fly and then login to ASRC on a laptop or something to watch themselves land.

Also, to echo the previous comment..well done. There are no stupid questions

Victor Buck 923077
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the help, gang. I'm sure I'll have more questions, as time goes on. I will try to find the answers before asking every little thing here.

Form my own VA??? Not likely! I just spent 2 years as Cargo div. director, dispatcher and sometimes Scenery builder for a small PNW VA. A bit of a thankless job (except for the president) leaving little time for flying. The place closed down yesterday and I want to take this opportunity to get out of the "business" and back into flying more. I've always wanted to fly with real controllers, as intimidating as the learning curve may be, and I figure now's the time.

Vic

The Man's Prayer

Red Green