You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Modelmatching issue

Krzysztof Wisniewski

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

Hello, I've encountered a problem with vPilot after the recent update. I'm using fsx steam edition and vPilot found all of my modelmatching for fsx not for steam edition though. That results of me seeing everyone in the white a321. It's not showing any errors though. It's probably just a matter of a stupid mistake that I've made, although I can't figure it out.

Best regards

https://imgur.com/a/comegRza

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

What does the advanced tab show under FSX:SE?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

It is just blank, nothing that you could possibly press and all click boxes grayed out.

https://imgur.com/a/ssFZ1ux

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That means that vPilot is detecting that you have FSX:SE installed because the install path is specified in the registry, and the specified install path exists, and vPilot is able to find the fsx.cfg file. However, since no paths are listed in the advanced model matching tab, that means that none of the simobjects paths found in the fsx.cfg file actually exist, or there were no aircraft.cfg files found in any of those simobjects paths.

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

So should I just try adding the missing paths in the cfg? Or is there maybe a way that I can just use the standard fsx model matching?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Does your steam edition FSX.cfg file have any simobjects paths defined at all currently?

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

I have never modified any path in the cfg and have never added any folder to the simobjects. I was only using the installer provided on the vatsim website. I'm currently away from my pc so I can't send you any screenshots at the moment.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm talking about the FSX:SE config, not the vPilot config.

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

So am I. I might be completely wrong but I think vPilot detects my steam edition fsx as the normal fsx. When I launch the game though, it knows that I'm using steam edition. So is there maybe a way I could just use the fsx model matching from the level of vPilot?

Sorry for long response to the thread and thank you so much for helping me.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Why do you think vPilot is detecting FSX:SE as FSX? What leads you to say that?

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

I'm sorry I messed all of this up on my previous post. All of my files for fsx are located in the steam folder (for me that's D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX) and it is being detected as FSX in the model matching. I suppose that the vPilot is correctly detecting the running game as FSX:SE and I suppose that's why the model matching is not working. So should I install my model matching in a different folder than it is now? When I press scan in the model matching for FSX:SE it doesn't find anything so maybe I've just put the modelmatching in the wrong directory. Or maybe is there a way to force the vPilot to simply use model matching from FSX to my FSX:SE. Sorry for all the inconvenience I'm causing.

Path for my modelmatching: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes

and: AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\simobjects\airplanes

The FSX-SE folder in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft only contains two files, which are dll.xml and fsx_se.cfg

Sorry for all the bothering you so much,

Best regards

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

In order to locate which models you have installed, vPilot scans the fsx_se.cfg file and looks for "simobjectpaths" entries. It then checks the folder that those entries point to, and finds any aircraft.cfg or sim.cfg files. It then scans those files to find all the entries which define the individual models and textures that you have installed.

Since your FSX:SE model matching settings tab shows no entries, I have to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that one of the following is true:

1) Your fsx_se.cfg file contains no simobjectpaths entries.

2) Your fsx_se.cfg file contains simobjectpaths entries which point to non-existent folders.

3) Your fsx_se.cfg file contains simobjectpaths entries which point to folders that contain no aircraft.cfg or sim.cfg files.

4) Your fsx_se.cfg file contains simobjectpaths entries which point to folders that contain aircraft.cfg or sim.cfg files which contain no model/texture configurations.

Can you take a look and find out which of those 4 is the case?

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the response, it'll be case number 1 I believe.

My fsx_se.cfg:

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
[TrafficManager]
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0
[DISPLAY]
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yup, so that's what you need to fix.

Any idea why your cfg file is so small and has no simobjectpaths entries? Seems strange.

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

In the roaming I have two folders FSX and FSX:SE. The FSX folder has a cfg that is way longer though and has way more files in it.

How exactly should the path look like?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Take a look at FSX.cfg, that will show you what it needs to look like.

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

Thank you so much for all your help! vPilot successfully scanned all the airplanes, I think. Let me hop on the vatsim and check if the model matching works as it used to before. I'll give you an update shortly.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm confused as to how FSX:SE works at all ... with no simobjects entries, it shouldn't have any way for you to select an aircraft and fly. Maybe FSX:SE uses your FSX config file?

Krzysztof Wisniewski
Posted
Posted

I think it does. Every time I install some airplanes like pmdg it always uses the FSX standard config. Well, maybe that's a sign to finally move on to p3d . But when I'm thinking that I'll have to bother with all those installations again, I'm losing all encouragement. Anyways, thank you for making Heathrow shine in colors again and not making everyone a diehard fan of white a321 . Thank you, Ross, for such a dedication to the community and helping out fools like me.

Fly safe captain,

Chris

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No problem, glad we got it sorted out.