You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Airport radio frequencies

Arthur Melton

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

has the radio frequencies for ILS ect changed for some airports ,such as LEMD madrid. Thanks

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

if you're looking at a newer chart it might be different then what the sims have them set to.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

maybe so ,I was comparing FS Commander Ils frequencies with jepperson charts info. So what would be the correct frequency to use. thanks

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

I always use the current charts in combination with the current airac.

nebojsa

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

The frequency in the sim (ie read from the scenery by FSC) is the only one which will work!

It's worth looking at updating your scenery when you find a discrepancy - if you don't want to spend money on payware there is almost always a freeware scenery available which will have a more up to date layout and updated navaids compared to the default (and some are quite detailed!)

Vice President, Pilot Training

James Hiscoe 1260816
Posted
Posted

If its just something as small a changing a frequency you can always do that yourself using a program like Airport Design Editor. I often end up editing freeware scenery anyway to correctly align the PAPIs or add them if they're omitted for some reason.

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Hi,Today I updated FS Commander,Ifly737 and PMDG MD11 to Airac 1905 navigraph. I then made two flights one with the iFly 737 and one with the MD11. The 737 although it followed the approach waypoints to the runway would not show Lnav or Vnav carots also the Ils frequency was showing 111.50 from the 109.30 I entered. I therefore carried out a manual landing. With the MD11 it followed the approach waypoints and indicated that the localizer and glide slope was activated { although I did get an indication to change the Ils frequency to 111.30 }which I ignored and used the 109.3 frequency and did an auto land down to the runway. So what's changed in the last month or there -abouts. Thanks

PS This happened on an earlier flight where I let my 737 carry out an Autoland using the frequencies shown for the approach to the selected runway and finished up in a large paddock [field] the p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers walked home !!!

• Board of Governors
Simon Kelsey
Posted
Posted

Arthur,

Think of it as two separate things: the physical navaid on the ground and the list of navaid frequencies stored in the FMC nav database.

Changing one will not change the other. If I knock down a VOR station tomorrow, it'll still be in the navigation database but that doesn't mean you're going to be able to tune in and receive anything! Likewise if I add a station to the navigation database which doesn't exist on the ground it might appear in the FMC with a frequency but if it's not physically there it's not going to be tunable.

In the case of FS, the actual navaids themselves are part of the scenery. The default FS/P3D scenery is from c.2006 and between then and now many navaids have been built or decommissioned, frequencies have changed, new runways and whole airports have been built etc.

When you update your FMC navigation database with Navigraph you are updating the information on board the aircraft only, not the actual navaids themselves which are part of the scenery. If the frequency has changed or a new navaid installed in real life that will be reflected in the up to date FMC data but unless you have modified/updated the scenery the aircraft will not receive a signal as there is nothing to receive!

To update the navaids in the sim there is a free package at https://aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

For airport stuff like ILS etc you generally will need to update the airport scenery. Are you using default scenery or have you got addon scenery installed?

Vice President, Pilot Training

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Alternatively or additionally may I suggest you install and use "LittleNavMap"?

LittleNavMap is a fantastic freeware tool that will read you SIM's scenery data and show you all the data that you actually have available in your simulator. This way you will always be certain that you have tuned the correct ILS, VOR or whatever you need.

Check it out here: https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

littlenavmap_airportoverview.jpg

There are more screenshots here to demonstrate this powerful tool!

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmapscreens.html

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

That's an interesting program that I hadn't known of before. Just a question I have that hopefully you can answer Andreas, for the GLOBE data do I need to download each tile for the world or get the consolidated source file?

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted
That's an interesting program that I hadn't known of before. Just a question I have that hopefully you can answer Andreas, for the GLOBE data do I need to download each tile for the world or get the consolidated source file?

Disregard, I RTFM'd again and realized there was an all in one for elevation data.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].